bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 20th Jun 2008, 11:24   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
AMD and Nvidia battle for mid-range supremacy

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/06...ge-supremacy/1

AMD and Nvidia are battling against each other again in what could prove to be one of the great wars in the 3D graphics industry.

Old 20th Jun 2008, 11:31   #2
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
I'm really waiting for this review Tim! Thanks for the heads-up though, i was getting a bit worried about the radiosilence around 4xxx/GTX280/GTX260/9800GTX+

Exciting times, but nothing on here! In the end though, i know it's because you guys refuse to rush tests, so it's all for the better
Old 20th Jun 2008, 12:28   #3
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
Is anyone else getting a headache at all these GC releases so close together? I know I am, and I'm not even reviewing them.

We all owe you many beers.
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2008, 12:45   #4
roadie
Minimodder

roadie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nvidia is now resorting to paper launches then? That's lame, and they really must be worried. Their margins are going to take a tanking.
roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2008, 12:50   #5
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Awesome

The red team is striking back.. A little over due, but hey. Now, the next most important thing, who's going to get a waterblock out for the 4870 first?

Hell, even the 4850, given its supposed performance at stock clocks..
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2008, 13:15   #6
Timmy_the_tortoise
International Man of Awesome

Timmy_the_tortoise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow...

I had no idea the 9800GTX was SO BIG!
Q6600 @ 2.40GHz w/G0|Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R|2GB Crucial 667MHz DDR2|Powercolor Radeon HD4850|Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB|Scythe Ninja Mini|LG Blu-ray/HD DVD/DVD-RW Combo Drive|Corsair TX650W|Antec NSK2480
Pioneer VSX-417|2x Gale 3010|2x Yamaha NSP110| MS304W Centre | MS308 Subwoofer
Timmy_the_tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2008, 13:43   #7
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I want a pair of 4870s.

Or, possibly, two 4870X2s if they work with my mobo (X48-T2R... which for some reason doesn't seem to like the 3870X2...)
Paradigm Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2008, 15:02   #8
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_the_tortoise
Wow...

I had no idea the 9800GTX was SO BIG!
isn't that a GTX260?
Old 20th Jun 2008, 15:16   #9
chrisb2e9
Dont do that...

chrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysis
This is awsome, PRICE WAR!!!!
Old 20th Jun 2008, 15:44   #10
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Can you guys please do a buying recommendation tree for price/performance/bang for bucks?
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2008, 15:56   #11
Denis_iii
Ultramodder

Denis_iii has yet to learn the way of the DremelDenis_iii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan View Post
Can you guys please do a buying recommendation tree for price/performance/bang for bucks?
yea, that'd be awesome! But no where near as awesome as ATI getting back up after the knock out blow that was the 8800. Long as performance/price is similiar to 9800GTX I'd rather go with ATI. DirectX 10.1 support and a much cleaner audio over HDMI setup not to mention better at drivers.

Unless i'm wrong on any of that? more GDDR5 please sir
Denis_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2008, 16:13   #12
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Benchmarks: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=580
Old 20th Jun 2008, 17:22   #13
lewchenko
Supermodder

lewchenko has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Rip Off Britain strikes again.

4850 - $199 (less with some rebates from new egg) or 140 (overclockers) in the UK inc. vat

140 is nearly $280. Vat doesnt account for the difference by a long way.
lewchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2008, 17:43   #14
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
140 for a card that performs about the same to 8800GTX is a steal!

my god that's good. but come on ATI with your higher end x2, we don't want nVidia stealing all the thunder with their monster gtx280
Old 20th Jun 2008, 18:29   #15
Kris
Lord Lolwut

Kris has yet to learn the way of the DremelKris has yet to learn the way of the DremelKris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
indeed, gotta love the price wars - hasn't been a better time to upgrade/buy a new computer in a very long time So, like someone else said - can't wait for that review Tim
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2008, 18:44   #16
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
the fact that ATI is able to do a single slot designs is a big win in my book, and besides typically ATI always had the better mid range card due to price a lone and it looks like nVidia is doing a lot of like I dont know how to call it but they look worried =p
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2008, 19:10   #17
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
The fight may be between nVidia and AMD right now, but the consumer is the winner here (except maybe those who splashed out on expensive cards in the near past).
Old 20th Jun 2008, 20:41   #18
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Finally its on...

How long have we been waiting on a decent ati gfx card? NV 6000 Series?
Old 20th Jun 2008, 22:38   #19
johnnyboy700
Ultramodder

johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.
Man oh man, am I glad I didn't jump in and by my new video card last month! I'll hang fire for a couple of weeks yet just to see whats going to happen with the ATI cards.
This is a great time to be in the market for some serious GPU hardware, N-Vidia and ATI seem to finally have some price/performance wars kicking in and I look forward to seeing how their products shape up. If there's no clear winner then I'll just save my pennies until I can afford a GTX 280 - but with my luck by the time I've done that it'll be time for the next gen GPU to hit the market.
johnnyboy700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2008, 00:42   #20
ParaHelix.org
Supermodder

ParaHelix.org has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Lets just forget all this and get down to the bare facts, any serious gamer knows that Nvidia RULES BOOYEAH HEADSHOT

<-------d[ * . * ]b------<<
ParaHelix.org is offline   Reply With Quote