1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress xSlim - one more HTPC! :D - tiny update 28.04.2009

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by HeXeN, 30 Jun 2008.

1. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

Oh NO!!! one more HTPC- xSlim
    Hello Bit-tech maniacs :) ... after a BIG while... I'm here with you again! Are you happy? NO? don't worry I'm just a little sand grain here :D.
    BTW ... i was here, watching you all :naughty:
    Topic... As iI recently saw, everyone wants to have his own HTPC. This might sound a bit crazy but I will have one also! :duh:
    Plans were made many many months ago, but i had hard time at studys... after being degraded to the second year i'm now back on the track 5th is mine! End of "about me". This build must be made with keeping KISS rule, and again budget one :>. I'm not good in writing esseys in english, so lets look at pictures (there was one gu that said "one picture is wort milions of words" or something like that :D.

Plans - this one must be a slim, as I have chosen the board with integrated graphic i will be able to keep it at really nice low level.
    Aim is to get something about 80mm of height plus covers (oh I forgot about that) Whole thing will be made of Steel (custom chasis) and Alu for the panels. Things that will hel me with keeping height - Special small form PSU, super low profile Cooler... that's all ? for now yes!

Planning is first thing we have got to do :D
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

After that, with keeping a bit off loose for hardware got something about 300x440mm and still 80mm of height will I do it? Got to!!

Hardware
    • Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (this one is BEST BUY, BEST PERFORMANCE/Money etc.. many good things were placed in many reviews) but now there's anothere mATX board (also Gigabyte but for the SocketA - useless for good HTPC and there is no Igraph.)
    • 2x512 Geil Ultra 800MHz 4-12-4-4 (ripped them from my bro's PC :D)
    • AMD 3800+ ADO3800IAA5CU 65W
    • CHIEFTEC DPS-300AB-9C - 300W in small size 100 mm x 124 mm x 63 mm made by DELTA electronics)
    • HDD - just dead one :D - What you think about WD WD3200AAKS 320GB sATA II 16MB ?? If you know something more silent, give me a hint :)
    • DVD - Dummy (too big case) but next buy will be LITEON LH-20A1L - sATA one but not a Blue one :p I've got to say to expensive for my build :p
    • Scythe Shuriken - 64mm of height!!! 100x100x12mm FAN (unfrtunetly out of stoc for now - i will wait for that baby)
    • ... more to come

[UPDATE 12.04.2009]

Hardware:
    • MoBo - Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
    • CPU - Amd Athlon X2 4850 E (45W / 2,5 GHz)
    • MEMORY - Geil Black Dragon 4-4-4-12 800MHz 2x2048MB
    • PSU - CHIEFTEC DPS-300AB-9C - 300W
    • HDD - WD Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS
    • DVD: Samsung SH-S203
    • CPU cooler - Scythe Shuriken (Sponsored by Scythe)
    I would like to thank Scythe for sample of Shuriken

[​IMG]

[/UPDATE]

Official look from last update - 28.04.2009
    [​IMG]

Regards
    Vampire HeXeN

Last edited: 28 Apr 2009
  2. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

:wallbash: Hand job :hehe: as i heard once from girl somewhere in Scotland (english is a hard language when you use translator or someones advice:hehe:).
    Back to topic this one is the easiest way to cut steel rod 10x10mm to smaller pieces.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ends of them are ugly but there is little help from machines :D Grinder! Love this
    [​IMG]

After a while spent 1on1 with saw i finally got final product :naughty:
    [​IMG]

Process of making it straight...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after welding (no pictures from welding... I forgot about pictures fr you all:wallbash: )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with hardware - this will look nice as hell :>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally 80MM achieved!! trust me everything will fit :>
    [​IMG]

everything looks now not PRO but i think that this is not the end!

Regards
    HeXeN

Last edited: 12 Jul 2008
  3. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Well done my friend. Good to see you modding with us.
    About the welds, just clean them up a little and good to go.
    John

4. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

cool an HTPC, just get some wire brush action happening for the welds and will look sweet!

5. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

these times ... making a HTPC isn't cool - it's supadupamegacool (just joking, i don't know why there are some many of them now :/).
    Welds :)

@John good to see you here (where is yor progress on your tiny baby ? :)) go and mod! don't write too much with E.L.L :p. Yeaap this gonna be brushed and sanded a bit. I think you saw also lack of welds on outer side of chasis there won't be any (answer for the future).

@ Oreon_237 - I will treat them like a dirty old rusted metal sheet :p

I think i've take some photos of my welder :> (EDIT - Welding Machine :D )

Last edited: 1 Jul 2008
  6. konvoj

konvoj What's a Dremel?

isn't this mod quite heavy?:duh: this iron must weight pretty much:eeek:

7. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

@konvoj - it's only 10x10mm steel chasis :> but i want it to be heavy. It will stand still with this weight, no vibrations but I've got to find some low profile stands or just make them :)

There is also a big possibility that this baby will stand under 22/24' LCD so it MUST be durable and strong :)
    Any sugestions i'm thinking about something with big diameter :)

EDIT (i don't want to double the posts so here's this edit)
    [​IMG]
    What's on the picture ? (lucky winner will get something from me :> )
    EDIT

Regards
    HeXeN

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Your frame is kick butt. :thumb:
    Your English is better than most Americans'. It always was.
    -but the cables on that welder are SCARY! I hope it's a lot dryer there than it is here.

9. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

WTF is that some kind of home made welder, or enclosed welder?

10. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

thanks Cheapskate! Yeah those cables are scary, but it's safe :D there is insulating tape as you see :D it MUST be safe :D

BTW... YES this is home made welder and ... it's older then most of you :D It was made by my grandpa when my dad was teenager :D junger than I am now! Even dad don't remember when it was made but there were no accidents for such a long time!

SO this is SAFE :D (but i think this is safe becouse only 3 people till now used it? (grandpa, dad and me) :D

11. konvoj

konvoj What's a Dremel?

in central europe, hand made welders are obvious,because of the whole era till 89', we have a lot of home made things,because this was the only way,how to owe some of this stuff.:rolleyes: but it's kind of oldschool nowadays to work with this machines,it's more interesting than working with brand-new-super-precious-high-power-machines, isn't it, HeXeN?:clap:

12. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

Tiny update :)

As 30 celsius degrees boils my mind every day... every day is lazy one at work.
    One ride to the local shop with screews, I bought these. Now everything depends on how thick alu sheet i will be able to buy (money, money, money :/ )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After an hour of thinking, mesurements and drawing, finally i managed to make template for PSU bracket :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and few hours on browsing my junk found this (it can be usefull for DVD/HDD rack)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But at the end I decided to take some perspex and L shaped alu profile.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with use of Schotch brand double sided black foam tape made a DVD/HDD rack. This is a temporary fast made form to show to myself and you what this might look like in future :D What do you think??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments are welcome :)
    Cheers!
    HeXeN

13. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

yes konvoj this is a nice fun... i could go and give some cash to people with stig or mig welder to do it for me, but why for?? this way is faster , i made this, i didn't spend any cash for this and it was fun for me :).
    Home made things are made till now in Poland :p - we've got nice forum elektroda.pl people there make many many things even an inverter welders on their own,, just for fun of making such a thing :)

Cheers!
    HeXeN

14. konvoj

konvoj What's a Dremel?

well done man,this calls for subscription!:clap:i'll keep an eye on this

15. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

Update 3
    Hello again, some of you (i hope) are subscribed and some not! i hope i will manage to change it soon :>
    This update won't be big by the little lack of time. I've got few photos of hardware that will be integrated in this project.

First of all - Anti Vandal Switch (I'm still thinking of getting rid of it from this project, but will see)
    [​IMG]

Second thing are some USB ports and plugs, these will be used to connect infrared reciever inside the case and some other stuff.
    As i will not need back bracket and use it inside, everything must be changed.​
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Plugs
    [​IMG]
    Ports
    [​IMG]
    sATA cables - red ones
    [​IMG]

New room with plenty of workspace...
    Taking care of this room took me a lot of time but this was worth of it!
    [​IMG]

And everything connected and tested - MediaPortal configured!
    [​IMG]

That's for now, more to come this night :) - hope you enjoyed it (I try my best to take better photos for you all but Ixus40 has got it's limits)

Regards,
    HeXeN

16. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

Update 4

That's me again with only few photos of hardware that will create this HTPC...

MoBo as i mentioned earlier will be a Gigabyte
    [​IMG]
    As this is a motherboard with integrated radeon HD3200, we have got here plenty of I/O ports!
    [​IMG]
    This NB heatsink is hot as hell without O/C but i know that i must have bigger cooling for it.
    [​IMG]
    CPU - AMD Athlon X2 3800+ EE - 65W (i'm thinking of 5000+ black edition but not much $$ to buy it)
    [​IMG]
    CPU numbers if you want to check if i'm telling truth about this processor
    [​IMG]
    RAM - 2x512MB of Geil Ultra low latency - 4-4-4-12 800MHz (this part must to be changed to 2x1024MB for sure)
    [​IMG]
    For powering everything up there is a 300W CHIEFTEC-DPS-300AB-9C , this is freaking small 300W PSU! only
    [​IMG]
    For connecting this irg to the WiFi network - TP link TP-WN353GD WiFi PCI card
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As all of them this is a low profile card :eyebrow:
    [​IMG]
    And there will be also a Bluetooth connection for more conectiviitvitii tii :duh: for future mouse and keyboard also!
    Everything will be delivered by Pentagram Fang Pro BT 2.0 dongle
    [​IMG]
    This baby is small (btw - this is polish 5pln coin if you don't know :thumb:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And more gadgets for connecting - Elmak Maxter this is a bit ugly but functional remote controll by IR port
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is a brutal way to loose your warranty but in this project i will need to re-solder IR reciever to the other place and make a new housing for this part.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm now in Wroclaw, the city where I study and my workshop is in Kalisz about 120kilometers away. This is the main reason why i don't have any normal update till now :> But... don't worry i've got all what i need in my friends workshop here now! So soon you will see some more progress with case itself!

Regards
    HeXeN

17. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

Hello after very very long time all Bit-Tech readers !!

This will be small easter update, but i've got to say updates wil be more frequent! First of all few things hae chandged. First of all, more money for modding :D after winning a modding first prize with my old Tribal Flames Mod and here is the link to mods which won prizes http://www.allegro.pl/phorum/read.php?f=268&i=359844&t=359844 . Second good news is that i have changed some hardware (that's good for me of course), below current Spec:

Hardware:
    Płyta główna - Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
    Procesor - Amd Athlon X2 4850 E (45W / 2,5 GHz) (was 3800+ EE - 65W )
    Pamięć - Geil Black Dragon 4-4-4-12 800MHz 2x2048MB (was 2x512MB of Geil Ultra )
    Zasilacz - CHIEFTEC DPS-300AB-9C - 300W
    HDD - WD Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS
    Napęd DVD: Samsung SH-S203
    CPU cooler - Scythe Shuriken (Sponsored by Scythe)

Unfortunetly pictures from one post before will be deleted and replaced with new spec things (i don't wan't to place to many non usefull picture :p ) (this after Easter)

In this place I would like to thank Scythe for sponsoring me this Low Profile CPU cooler!! that's third good thing!! that happed to me !

[​IMG]

Here are pictures of this cooler

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

In this place i would like to add that i'm waiting for my aluminium sheets 4mm thick :)

And also a Easter Prank that we ( Realitynet.pl) have made reacently : http://www.realitynet.pl/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.347

I would like to whish you all happy Easter !!

Last edited: 12 Apr 2009
  18. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Looking good!

19. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Thats going to be a nice little case!
    You could have gone with a slim laptop style dvd drive to save space.

20. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

Thanks, but in this project I want to have normla parts. Slim one make more noise that's first. Have less speed that's second third - i'm thinking of going to watercool next one and next will be really flat! so there will be oportunity to use slimDVD. Thanks for advice :)

P.s. there is really nice prank for ester up there in post :p

Regards
    HeXeN