bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 2nd Jul 2008, 08:23   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Intel: "code for thousands of cores"

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/07...nds-of-cores/1

Chip manufacturer Intel is advising developers to concentrate on coding for scalability, believing the future of computing lies in hundreds and thousands of processing cores.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 08:59   #2
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'll be more interested when developers can use more than one effectively :/

Until then, more than two or four is completely redundant. Hell, four is probably OTT considering the lack of proper use all four get.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 09:03   #3
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
How is the game situation?

Are dualcores (or even quad) utilized yet?

And please don't answer "yeah, i've got the system running on one core, and the game on the other" I mean are games utilizing both (or all three/four) cores by now?
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 09:14   #4
Nuffenburger
The Burgerman Can

Nuffenburger has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
yeh but imagine the capabilities.... rofl.
i say bring them out... nobody will buy them but hey they will make the price of the quad extremes go down rofl.
i got a dual core atm. but its not the best. i just cant wait til they bring out something decent that will overclock to more than 10ghz yet stay as cool as a fridge.
introduce a new overclocking system or something.
they should be atleast 5ghz stock by now.

-burgerman
Nuffenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 10:28   #5
iwod
Multimodder

iwod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Muti Core - ( Tens / Hundred of Cores ) sounds to me just like the MHz race.
I think IPC and Mhz are still very important and should grow in both direction.

Instead of simple just add HUGE amount of core.
iwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 11:18   #6
Kúsař
regular bit-tech reader

Kúsař has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It sounds like "Let's learn how to thread CPU instructions!"
Kúsař is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 12:12   #7
Timmy_the_tortoise
International Man of Awesome

Timmy_the_tortoise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I want my 100+ core Sandy Bridge NOW.... despite the fact that over 90% of it's processing power won't be utilised.
Q6600 @ 2.40GHz w/G0|Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R|2GB Crucial 667MHz DDR2|Powercolor Radeon HD4850|Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB|Scythe Ninja Mini|LG Blu-ray/HD DVD/DVD-RW Combo Drive|Corsair TX650W|Antec NSK2480
Pioneer VSX-417|2x Gale 3010|2x Yamaha NSP110| MS304W Centre | MS308 Subwoofer
Timmy_the_tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 12:30   #8
stephen2002
Multimodder

stephen2002 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If Intel pushes developers in this direction the GPU makers are going to be very happy. They already have processors with hundreds of cores. If the OS can run quickly on a CPU with hundreds of low-speed cores then why use the CPU at all?
stephen2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 12:33   #9
Timmy_the_tortoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen2002
If Intel pushes developers in this direction the GPU makers are going to be very happy. They already have processors with hundreds of cores. If the OS can run quickly on a CPU with hundreds of low-speed cores then why use the CPU at all?
What about a CPU with hundreds of high speed cores? Not to mention it'll be x86, far more flexible.
Q6600 @ 2.40GHz w/G0|Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R|2GB Crucial 667MHz DDR2|Powercolor Radeon HD4850|Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB|Scythe Ninja Mini|LG Blu-ray/HD DVD/DVD-RW Combo Drive|Corsair TX650W|Antec NSK2480
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 12:58   #10
mrb_no1
Pie Eater

mrb_no1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
For those who posted up top, i know that supreme commander utilizes 3 cores, not massively efficiently and it could do with using 4 cores imo as game time still slips down to 1 game second=1.5 real life seconds. Some people had mentioned crysis' with its extra physics being a burden, but i have no experience with crysis so i couldnt comment on that....i think the fact of the matter is that cpu development is running too far ahead of software developers, especially when games take years to make...

peace

fatman
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3600Mhz ¦ Asus Maximus II Formula ¦ ATI Radeon 4890 (1000Mhz Core + 1200Mhz Mem OC) ¦ 2x2G Corsair Dom. PC 8500 @ 1080Mhz ¦ Aquacomputer WC ¦ Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty ¦ 150G Raptor, 2x1500 + 1x750 + 2x500 Seagate (SATA2) ¦ Pioneer DVD burner ¦ Lian Li - PC 73SL Aluminium Silent Server Case ¦ Dell 2007WFP 20" Widescreen ¦ Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers ¦ Sennheiser HD270
mrb_no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 13:12   #11
Timmy_the_tortoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb_no1
For those who posted up top, i know that supreme commander utilizes 3 cores, not massively efficiently and it could do with using 4 cores imo as game time still slips down to 1 game second=1.5 real life seconds. Some people had mentioned crysis' with its extra physics being a burden, but i have no experience with crysis so i couldnt comment on that....i think the fact of the matter is that cpu development is running too far ahead of software developers, especially when games take years to make...

peace

fatman
I thought Crysis' multi-core usage was supposed to be very disappointing.. It was supposed to use a whole 4 core CPU, but only ended up using 2 cores at any one time.
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 15:04   #12
MrMonroe
Multimodder

MrMonroe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Excuses, excuses...

Plenty of applications could never be designed to be multi-threaded. There's lots of math that can only be done one step at a time, and passing the potato around from one core to the next with each step won't improve speed one bit. (though it might keep the thing cooler)
MrMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 15:52   #13
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_the_tortoise View Post
I thought Crysis' multi-core usage was supposed to be very disappointing.. It was supposed to use a whole 4 core CPU, but only ended up using 2 cores at any one time.

The Crysis Demo definitely did not use 4 cores effectively.

However, Assassin's Creed PC and Race Driver:GRiD do use 4 cores well. Assassin's creed is particularly well balanced across 4 processors.
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 16:54   #14
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
very sure supreme commander is dual threaded as see CPU use when this game is running you add the 3 other cores up that tends to = 1 core, there are programs i think that you can run to make the supreme commander threads run on other cores
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 21:28   #15
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Agree with all those that want better multi-core support. Apps still in development and in the future need to be able to scale better to a multi core environment, whether it be 2, 3, 4 ... x number of cores.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Antec 850W TruePower Quattro - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 21:32   #16
E.E.L. Ambiense
Acrylic Heretic

E.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal View Post
I'll be more interested when developers can use more than one effectively :/

Until then, more than two or four is completely redundant. Hell, four is probably OTT considering the lack of proper use all four get.
I guess a good analogy for this would be having more than two testicles: It'd be nice, but you only really need two.
LilyPC V.2 - completed!BIO-A10 - MotM Jul. '12 Nominee Loser!"Movie Sign!" - in progressCheckMate - MotM May '09 Nominee Loser!BluBawx I - MotY '09 Nominee Loser!Lumičre Noire - MotM Apr. '08 Nominee Loser!NOTalis w/ MNPCTech"Building Better Worlds" - MotM Feb. '08 Nominee Loser!
E.E.L. Ambiense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 21:43   #17
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
our brain is massively parallel and slow frequency... i wonder what will be the capabilities of the new cpus in AI and other areas.....
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 00:53   #18
Yemerich
I can has PERSUADETRON?

Yemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Hmmm i didn't knew GOLLUM works for intel
Hades (Best advanced casemod design CP-Brazil 2010)

Take a look on my projects here.
Yemerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 01:45   #19
dr-strangelove
Multimodder

dr-strangelove has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXR_13KE
our brain is massively parallel and slow frequency... i wonder what will be the capabilities of the new cpus in AI and other areas.....
'Intel core 600 4.0GHz processor, guaranteed not to attempt world domination or your money back'
dr-strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 08:18   #20
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb_no1 View Post
as game time still slips down to 1 game second=1.5 real life seconds.
...is this still the old "core times out of sync" problem that the first AMD dual-cores had? I'd thought that issue had been rooted out since the 2nd gen x2 processors...

Remember the "I've got a dual core and every time i start a game i go into taskmanager and manually assign a single core...no now we've got a tool that does this automatically..cooool"?
Made me buy a quicker clocked single core at the time

But as I said, this is ancient history, right?
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote