bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Jul 2008, 11:17   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Eee Monitor is in the works

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/07...in-the-works/1

You've used the Eee PC notebook, you've seen the Eee PC desktop and now get ready for the monitor.. with an Eee PC inside!

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 11:24   #2
Daniel114
Supermodder

Daniel114 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd be really tempted if it didn't look like it was designed by Fisher Price
Daniel114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 11:43   #3
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Now if that was a touch screen...
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 11:57   #4
Risky
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.
Actually I can see that as being usefull for, say a kitchen PC where you just want a tidy terminal for the web or similar and maybe music/radio.
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 12:05   #5
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
remembers me a mac....
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 12:06   #6
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
Is that an RJ11?
WTF is that for? I know what it's for I just want to know what it's doing on there...

Unless it's for an optional telephone attachment, so you can use the Thing as an IPphone terminal.
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 12:31   #7
_DTM2000_
Senior Super Douche

_DTM2000_ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by badders
Is that an RJ11?
WTF is that for? I know what it's for I just want to know what it's doing on there...

Unless it's for an optional telephone attachment, so you can use the Thing as an IPphone terminal.

My guess is it's nothing more exciting than a modem connection. I guess some people still use dial-up, for some strange reason only known to them.
_DTM2000_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 12:40   #8
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _DTM2000_ View Post
My guess is it's nothing more exciting than a modem connection. I guess some people still use dial-up, for some strange reason only known to them.
They can't find the broadband train. Too busy waiting for google to load, y'see.

I agree with the Fisher Price sentiment.. Seriously, 'My first computer' is being screamed by that, er, thing.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 12:41   #9
Timmy_the_tortoise
International Man of Awesome

Timmy_the_tortoise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky
Actually I can see that as being usefull for, say a kitchen PC where you just want a tidy terminal for the web or similar and maybe music/radio.
Yeah, good thinking, just a PC for general web browsing or watching videos/listening to music.

A touch screen would make it perfect for this though..
Q6600 @ 2.40GHz w/G0|Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R|2GB Crucial 667MHz DDR2|Powercolor Radeon HD4850|Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB|Scythe Ninja Mini|LG Blu-ray/HD DVD/DVD-RW Combo Drive|Corsair TX650W|Antec NSK2480
Pioneer VSX-417|2x Gale 3010|2x Yamaha NSP110| MS304W Centre | MS308 Subwoofer
Timmy_the_tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 12:42   #10
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_the_tortoise View Post
Yeah, good thinking, just a PC for general web browsing or watching videos/listening to music.

A touch screen would make it perfect for this though..
Since some smart-ass shoe-horned a touch screen into the laptop, I'd be very surprised if one wasn't shoe-horned in here either by Asus or a third party.
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 12:49   #11
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky View Post
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal View Post
I agree with the Fisher Price sentiment.. Seriously, 'My first computer' is being screamed by that, er, thing.
Are you man or a mouse?!? If you don't like the look, mod it!

Seriously, it's functional and cheap enough to mod to within an inch of its life. You could put it in a nice oak picture frame. You could mount it behind a one-way mirror. You could drop it in a coffee table. You could build one in the bottom of a breakfast tray: have breakfast in bed and surf the net. The possibilities are endless.
Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 12:55   #12
liratheal
Sharing is caring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
Are you man or a mouse?!? If you don't like the look, mod it!

Seriously, it's functional and cheap enough to mod to within an inch of its life. You could put it in a nice oak picture frame. You could mount it behind a one-way mirror. You could drop it in a coffee table. You could build one in the bottom of a breakfast tray: have breakfast in bed and surf the net. The possibilities are endless.
I'm lazy I have one mod a month in me >.>

I'd be more interested if it gave me multi-touch control for RTS games, though.
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 13:40   #13
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
everyone's gone crazeee
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 14:03   #14
scarrmrcc
Modder

scarrmrcc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by badders
Is that an RJ11?

there are many places where you can't braodband (unless you want to pay out the nose)

my parents for instance, have dial up, becaseu they live far enough out in the boonies, that it would cost $1200 just to get a cable line run out there.....and satellite is just crazy expensive, for how little they use the internet.

Asus is not trying to sell this to hardcore gamers, or even thinking it could be fast or powerful.
it is cheap, simple, and inexpensive. perfect for retired, fixed income people, or casual web surfers. people that it would be a waste to spend the money on even DSL.

you don't have to use the dial-up, but it is nice to have the option (i mean really, it probably added...what? a buck to the total price?)
scarrmrcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 19:17   #15
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
i hope they won't be sued by Apple.
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 20:13   #16
ch424
Design Warrior

ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.
All you people talking about the modem - it may have ADSL built in? Asus do make routers too...
ch424 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 22:03   #17
1ad7
Supermodder

1ad7 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
this is an awesome idea, the only other small form factor( this small that is) is only in the mac flavor and Im sure this would be powerful enough for the people who will buy it. Would be great for airports etc who currently use lots of lcd's replace them with this and you could do alot more. It is kinda ugly though.... but so are most of its competition
1ad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 22:04   #18
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks like a good idea to me, I know Sony do something similar but they're pretty bulky things, this one looks like it could be quite useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 22:15   #19
Langer
Jesse Lang

Langer has yet to learn the way of the DremelLanger has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If it's anything like the eeePC notebooks the RJ11 port is non-functional, the modem chip isn't even installed.

I installed, more soldering than installing, one onto my eeePC to allow voip (it's a Conexant 56K RD02-D110 if anyone is interested).
Langer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2008, 01:23   #20
ParaHelix.org
Supermodder

ParaHelix.org has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If they made a touchscreen model it would be perfect for kitchens and such, for music, media, ingredients and such.
ParaHelix.org is offline   Reply With Quote