bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 9th Jul 2008, 00:05   #1
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Zalman GS1000

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...alman-gs1000/1

Zalman, long a staple of the ultra high-end case market, tries it's hand at a case aimed firmly at the mid range, with the GS1000. Sporting some impressive features, we investigate to see whether the GS1000 can compete in the most competitive of price ranges.

Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2008, 00:19   #2
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Why not implicate a bottom mounted 120mm fan for the HDD's.

It seems silly not cooling the HDD's at all.
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2008, 00:20   #3
Naberius
Multimodder

Naberius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz.
It seem so silly designing a case to look like that.
Naberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2008, 00:34   #4
DeSean
What's a Dremel?

DeSean has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz. View Post
Why not implicate a bottom mounted 120mm fan for the HDD's.

I believe there was a Google study recently that showed hard drive life to be fairly unaffected by temperature. I do agree that cooler drives are usually preferable though. I really like the hot-swap idea, even if its only used for fast hard drive changes whilst the system is off. I love my Silverstone TJ-09 but it is a huge pain to organise all the cables going to the hard drives. I don't know why these companies don't mix all the best features together into one case!
DeSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2008, 00:35   #5
Bluephoenix
Spoon? What spoon?

Bluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
With this in mind, we simply can't recommend the GS1000 to anyone but a SATA hot swap fetishist.
I think that kind of person would go for a CMS 830 with 2 5in3 drive swap bays anyway. thats 10 drives with 2 slots left for optical and cardreader.

classic engineering flop, the details are the killer
Bluephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2008, 00:50   #6
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
For Hot swappers, why not that nify Li-Li?
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2008, 01:00   #7
ParaHelix.org
Supermodder

ParaHelix.org has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well, looks like I will be sticking with good old Lian-Li thanks.
ParaHelix.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2008, 01:07   #8
sheninat0r
What's a Dremel?

sheninat0r has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Eh... I don't like it. Tacky plastic and classy aluminum combined into one mediocre box.
Old 9th Jul 2008, 01:23   #9
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
ugly case.. I'll stick with my NZXT cases thanks.
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2008, 01:26   #10
MrWizard
Supermodder

MrWizard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This thing is absolutely hideous. Far better cases exist in the same price range. Zalman should stick to what they know: Cooling.

And to note as said above; it's pretty odd that a company known primarily for their cooling products would neglect to provide any form of heat relief for the HDD's. Party foul Zalman. Party foul.
Gigabyte P35-DS3L | Intel E2220 @ 3.0GHz | AC Freezer 7 Pro | eVGA 8800GT 512MB | 2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 | 1 x Seagate 250GB SATA | 1 x WD Raptor 74GB SATA | X-Fi Extreme Gamer | Silverstone Strider 600 Modular | Modded Antec Nine Hundred
MrWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2008, 01:33   #11
Multiplectic
Beef Potato Wheelman

Multiplectic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Uummm... This case is utterly UGLY. The exterior design is completely rubbish.

And though thermal performance is pretty good, there's no cooling for the HDDs (many people, like me, DO care about that).

Plus, I've never been a fan of bottom mounted PSUs. If it's cables are not long enough, you've had it.
Old 9th Jul 2008, 02:26   #12
Amon
inch-perfect

Amon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks incredibly sturdy. For some, it may be all that matters, particularly in this range of product price and, proportionally, what's inside.

Last edited by Amon; 9th Jul 2008 at 02:31.
Amon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2008, 06:48   #13
Cadillac Ferd
Multimodder

Cadillac Ferd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Meh, looks pretty fugly. I'm really not a big fan of mixing metal and plastic, it makes the plastic look even tackier.

Also did I miss something about Zalman? Since when have they been considered the BMW of computer peripherals? I mean from my experience their products are alright but really not all that special or anything.
Cadillac Ferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2008, 08:54   #14
Jonagon
What's a Dremel?

Jonagon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"However, the reset button and HDD activity LED are notable by their complete absence - we still like to see these inclusions on a case; I know I still use mine at least a few times a week."

You do? Personally, I can't remember the last time I used either..

Yeah.. as others have said, it's not a case i'll be looking into buying, though I am after a case in that price bracket.
Jonagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2008, 09:17   #15
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
a case for more than 100£ shoudnt have a plastic exterior.
the zalman fans arent bad, they preform well and are very cheap, but if you have several it can indeed get noisy.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it

Last edited by naokaji; 9th Jul 2008 at 11:41.
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2008, 09:30   #16
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'm not sure I'd miss a reset button, but I'd definately miss a hdd indicator light. What concerns me more is the ability to drag the weight of a loaded system from under your desk to upgrade/repair stuff. Why not have castors? Or the sledge arrangement that the Cosmos sits on? As for the build quality - that's a real put-off. Was this a retail unit you reviewed?
Old 9th Jul 2008, 11:31   #17
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Keep your eyes on bit-tech - I've got the Akasa Omega and Lian Li PC X2000 ready for review - both cases show a LOT of promise.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2008, 12:05   #18
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
surpricingly, i hit reset button more than my power button..... HDD light can be dismissed without problem, same goes for the power LED. both are redundent LED where you will only look at if your monitor is off or not responding.

is it me or every case manufacturer is copying Antec's design? (was it antec's orignal idea to put PSU on the bottom? )
Old 9th Jul 2008, 13:59   #19
AlexB
Web Nerd and WC Addict

AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.
Nice looking case.

Haven't used my reset button in about 5 years.
Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen. That's the last sensation I had before I blacked out; that thick smell of asphalt. She said she'd fix my bike. Free. No strings attached. I shoulda've known then that things were never that simple. Yeah, when I think of Maureen, I think of two things: Asphalt, and trouble.
1: Intel I7 2600k, ASUS P67 Pro, 16gb Corsair, AMD 7970 (3gb), Corsair 256gb SSD
2: Intel I7 2600k, ASUS P67 Pro, 16gb Corsair, Nvidia 680GTX (4gb)
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2008, 16:31   #20
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I do use the reset button quite a bit. I find it helpful when I have missed getting onto the BIOS when I am starting my computer up, and similar such scenarios. My motherboard actually records how many times it has been pressed, I will have a look next time I restart it.

As for the case - oh well. Thanks for the review though
Still looking for something similar to the case that was used in the £400 PC build, cheap and not too rubbish.