1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubuntu Linux launches via Best Buy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Wait. Did they stop the free CD thing?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, this is in addition to. The idea is that they've got the people who browse the 'net looking for alternative operating systems, and now they're trying to get the people who browse the aisles of Best Buy. It's in-store advertising more than anything.

4. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Nah they're just offering a retail box so Joe Blogs can get it from his local store just like Windows. You have been able to buy Ubuntu over here for years, $10, but it's just the same as the Free CD so no retail packaging.
    I think this could work for Ubuntu as it is more average user orientated. Even my Dad can use it and prefers it over windows because it works better with no random popups all the time which he has no idea whether to say yes or no to.

5. lepre

lepre Minimodder

the box seems like the one of crap sw you already find in stores, and that's where it will be, unfortunately.

6. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I didn't like Ubuntu.. It made me feel claustrophobic... Still haven't uninstalled it yet though.

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

id opt-in to buy a box just for the heck of it. its 20 dollarz... thats roughly 15€. symbolic price

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

why do so many people like Ubuntu?

i tryed it when they first put out their free-CD scheme. and it was bad! so bad, i throw away the Live CD after 1 boot.

Fedora Core or SUSE is what people should be looking at

9. Panos

Panos Minimodder

I remember back in the 90's I bought my first Linux distribution. RedHat 5.2. It was 3 CD's, a massive book going through everything (including kernel compile) to introduce you into the system. Cost £20, on 90's value.
    We are talking about the years where command line was something you used more than anything else, and FWMN95 as your GUI (if you manage to install XFREE86). On that Dial Up Era the issues where many. A simple update mean you had to stay online all the night in case a file stop downloading to kick it again. Or else you where losing money connected over the phone and doing nothing.

I would like to see more distributions like that, coming with a nice fat manual with them too. I hate online documentation/book.

10. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

"Retailing for $19.99 – around £10 – the product is aimed at “users who are unaware of Ubuntu or who are bandwidth restricted and don't want to download Ubuntu themselves.”

What the ****, you can order free CD's of the distributions anyway.

11. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

lol loving the box : linux for human beings

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

130 bucks for installing it????

13. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

Meh, that packaging really sucks. It just looks like the rest of the rubbish on the PC software shelves.

14. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Guys, if you want a viable alternative to windows for the masses, this (or something like it) is it!

Yes, I know there are a shedload of compromises in Ubuntu to make it "user friendly", I know it has issues, and I know you can dowload it for free. I've done it, I hand out copies of it at work. This is not for me, or even for the averave bit-tekker. This is for the people who buy a computer and expect it to work. This is for people who would never, ever consider upgrading, much less downloading, and OS because they're afraid they'll break it.

Even if you're a die-hard Windows fanboi (*caughgoodbytescaugh*), this is still a good thing. Real competition will force MS to make new versions of Windows significantly better than the last, because people now have a mainstream, cheaper option. MS cannot compete with linux on price, so they have to compete on brand loyalty and value.

For those of us who already use *nix this is still a good thing because this will strongly encourage manufacturers to support linux with good drivers, or risk losing market share to someone who does. It also means that some people who would have never been exposed to linux will go on to become power users and advocates for the FOSS cause.

I don't know how to say this strongly enough...

This IS a GOOD THING!!!

15. knuck

knuck Hate your face

services are where the company makes profit

and yes , all their services are freaking rip offs

16. Ubuntu Warrior

Ubuntu Warrior What's a Dremel?

As you may tell from my user name I am slightly biased but, hey, Ubuntu offers a fantastic solution. Yes, services are pricey but they are even more pricey from most other players. Try getting a quote for an install of Oracle Applications, or some BI consulting work from KPMG, or Java Spring development, etc. To be honest our organisation does not invest heavily in services and we have some 22 Ubuntu servers and around 150 Ubuntu clients working just fine - need a savvy sys admin though!

We do take annual maintenance from Canonical for 2 of our key network servers and while it is not cheap it is a wonderful feeling knowing that my cash is supporting people trying to change things for the better with the open source movement. On the contrary, most of our M$ spend leaves me feeling sick most of the time with an unhealthy dose of guilt for feeding the global money-making machine. Don't get me wrong, I am not anti everything M$ and some of their products are unbeatable, but it is refreshing to see other players out there offering far better value to the client and still putting food on the table.

Tags: Add Tags