bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 17th Jul 2008, 14:02   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Corsair shows why budget PSUs aren't so great

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/07...n-t-so-great/1

Ever wonder why we test PSU's to their limits? Ever bought a "budget PSU? Corsair combined the two with explosive results.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2008, 14:05   #2
M4RTIN
Ultramodder

M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
i thought this was about to say that corsair psu's are all going to explode lol.. my vx550 was ready to be switched off
M4RTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2008, 14:10   #3
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
If only this video could be imprinted onto the mind of everyone who thinks about buying a budget, no-name PSU.

It's just a good job that most systems don't come close to using what their PSU's are rated to, really.
Old 17th Jul 2008, 14:11   #4
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
the heatsink is right behind one of the fan! surely that would mean it gets enough airflow.

Corsair Hx620w is teh cheesecake factory
Old 17th Jul 2008, 14:19   #5
pistol_pete
Air Cooled Fool

pistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If only this video was out a couple of weeks ago! I could have showed it to my dad before he went out and bought a 500W PSU for 25, without consulting ME first, how rude!.
- Q6600 G0(9x333) -- Asus P5k Premium -- 4GB Ballistix DDR2-800 -- EVGA GTX570 -- OCZ Vertex 2E 128GB -- 500GB Samsung F2 -- Antec Truepower New 650W -- Samsung Syncmaster 206BW -- Razer Lycosa, DeathAdder, and Destructor -- Custom Buitl Watercooled Case --

Pistol Pete's Project Perspiration Project Log
pistol_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2008, 14:23   #6
Hg
The game known as life

Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
this is why you should alwasy buy a good quailty PSU!
its scary how many people don't do so after spending a load on new hardware while building a new pc, i dont feel sorry for them if there PSU's blow up as they were to narrow minding while buying a Q-tec etc
Trident- My first case mod, Project Log
Hg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2008, 14:25   #7
icyo
What's a Dremel?

icyo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
check the video to see some MOSFET* popping action.

icyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2008, 14:43   #8
hitman012
Super Moderator

hitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The internals of those power supplies look identical to two generics that died on me over 3 years ago. I would guess that most of the no-name power supplies are OEMed by only one or two companies and just branded with an arbitrary rating - often the 500W rated models have identical insides to the 300W ones.

That said, not all "quality" PSUs are fantastic. Some older Antecs used cheap capacitors which went pop if they were loaded heavily over a year or two. Their newer units, though, OEMed by Seasonic/CWT (as are Corsair's, IIRC) and are much better quality.
Old 17th Jul 2008, 14:44   #9
Snafu-X-
Multimodder

Snafu-X- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Anyone notice the coolermaster box in the video?
Old 17th Jul 2008, 14:50   #10
MrMonroe
Multimodder

MrMonroe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm loving the picture caption.
MrMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2008, 14:57   #11
Xlog
Supermodder

Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
well, they are drawing over 300W from atx power connector in test 3, so I don't think that test is very accurate

Last edited by Xlog; 17th Jul 2008 at 19:20.
Xlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2008, 15:17   #12
RTT
#parp

RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
What's a "MOSPHET" ?
Old 17th Jul 2008, 15:22   #13
Cobalt
Supermodder

Cobalt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My friend came to me for advice about buying a PSU recently for a xfire setup. I impressed on him the importance of buying a branded power supply with some extra capacity beyond what he thought he would need but then he goes and buys a 700W PSU for 30 off ebuyer. Why should I even bother?
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2008, 15:26   #14
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
That was an awesome video. I liked the music
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2008, 15:30   #15
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTT View Post
What's a "MOSPHET" ?
Fixed, I'm too used to writing phosphor, sulphur, etc
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2008, 15:39   #16
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman012 View Post
The internals of those power supplies look identical to two generics that died on me over 3 years ago. I would guess that most of the no-name power supplies are OEMed by only one or two companies and just branded with an arbitrary rating - often the 500W rated models have identical insides to the 300W ones.
The majority of the super cheap and blowing up psu's are made by allied (known under many different brandnames and very popular among the big system integrators for record low prices).
Usually they dont blow up just because people think they need a 700W psu for a E4500 2GB ram single hdd and integrated graphics so most people who buy prebuilt pc's never even notice the psu they have is overrated by 400W because there computer wont even use 200W, but if you take a device that can actually draw as much power from a psu as is written on the label then a firework is almost guaranteed.

on top of that, psu's changed in design over the last few years, the majority of the power used to be on the 3,3V and 5V rails, there are still such psu's out there sadly even though those rails are almost worthless these days and the "action" is on the 12V rail(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu-X- View Post
Anyone notice the coolermaster box in the video?
not sure, but it looks too big to me for a psu box, more like the box of a case size, but then I'm going by memory of what I've seen in the video yesterday and cant watch it now thx to work pc blocking it.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2008, 15:51   #17
Risky
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.
Well I've only had two PSUs blow. One was a mATX unit and the other was a rather pricy Enermax, though it was many years ago.
Old 17th Jul 2008, 16:01   #18
Liquid K9
Human programmer.. heh

Liquid K9 has yet to learn the way of the DremelLiquid K9 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wow

great music with that vid

I would have prefered a more scientific test, with various manufacturers, loads and price points. but it was pretty nonetheless in a destructive kind of way, the best kind
Old 17th Jul 2008, 16:09   #19
-equilerex-
Multimodder

-equilerex- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
ive had 2 noname psu's on my old pc... first one ran for 4-5 years. as the fan had started to make noise out of old age, i replaced it with some "fancy" led one that broke down in a few days, burning out the psu (no bang though). the second one is still running... although their only like 350w

upgraded to a laptop myself but the parents still use that rig...
Old 17th Jul 2008, 16:15   #20
Timmy_the_tortoise
International Man of Awesome

Timmy_the_tortoise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTT View Post
What's a "MOSPHET" ?
Fixed, I'm too used to writing phosphor, sulphur, etc
But.... It's an acronym... and neither phosphor, nor sulphur are in the full title...

Eh?
Q6600 @ 2.40GHz w/G0|Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R|2GB Crucial 667MHz DDR2|Powercolor Radeon HD4850|Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB|Scythe Ninja Mini|LG Blu-ray/HD DVD/DVD-RW Combo Drive|Corsair TX650W|Antec NSK2480
Pioneer VSX-417|2x Gale 3010|2x Yamaha NSP110| MS304W Centre | MS308 Subwoofer
Timmy_the_tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote