bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Jul 2008, 12:46   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Guitar Hero renders mice redundant?

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/07...ce-redundant/1

According to analysts, the future of computer input could be radically altered by the success of...Guitar Hero?

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2008, 12:48   #2
Timmy_the_tortoise
International Man of Awesome

Timmy_the_tortoise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Absolute bollocks.
Q6600 @ 2.40GHz w/G0|Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R|2GB Crucial 667MHz DDR2|Powercolor Radeon HD4850|Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB|Scythe Ninja Mini|LG Blu-ray/HD DVD/DVD-RW Combo Drive|Corsair TX650W|Antec NSK2480
Pioneer VSX-417|2x Gale 3010|2x Yamaha NSP110| MS304W Centre | MS308 Subwoofer
Timmy_the_tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2008, 12:50   #3
Delphium
Eyefinity enabled

Delphium has yet to learn the way of the DremelDelphium has yet to learn the way of the DremelDelphium has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
^ What he said ^
Delphium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2008, 12:53   #4
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
^What Timmeh said^
Old 18th Jul 2008, 13:02   #5
Jordan Wise
Baby called to see the boss...

Jordan Wise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
the technology section of the bbc news is an absolute joke, full stop

Steam ID:jordanwise
Jordan Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2008, 13:04   #6
Silver51
I cast flare!

Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
...According to a piece over on the BBC...
The BBC stopped using fact in their news articles decades ago.
Old 18th Jul 2008, 13:06   #7
pistol_pete
Air Cooled Fool

pistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sure, my Razer Deathadder is wetting it's little black rubberised pants at this news. Sure.
- Q6600 G0(9x333) -- Asus P5k Premium -- 4GB Ballistix DDR2-800 -- EVGA GTX570 -- OCZ Vertex 2E 128GB -- 500GB Samsung F2 -- Antec Truepower New 650W -- Samsung Syncmaster 206BW -- Razer Lycosa, DeathAdder, and Destructor -- Custom Buitl Watercooled Case --

Pistol Pete's Project Perspiration Project Log
pistol_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2008, 13:16   #8
scarrmrcc
Modder

scarrmrcc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
yep, i just finished playing half-life 2 using only a scanner cat (remember those stupid things?) and a guitar hero lespaul.

no mouse or keyboard for me....
scarrmrcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2008, 13:17   #9
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
*also agrees with Timmy_the_tortoise*
Old 18th Jul 2008, 13:40   #10
M4RTIN
Ultramodder

M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
where do i get a dead mouse with a wheel in it? all i have here is a rabbit with a joystick in its back :-(
M4RTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2008, 13:43   #11
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4RTIN
where do i get a dead mouse with a wheel in it? all i have here is a rabbit with a joystick in its back :-(
there's a modding guide in the forums, check it out:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthrea...t=doesnotexist
Old 18th Jul 2008, 14:11   #12
tech3312
Where's my dremel o.0

tech3312 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
COMPLETE BULLSHIT computer mouse had been evolving since the computer was made and will just continue to stay the same function the article about mice redudant COMPLETE BULLCRAP
tech3312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2008, 14:28   #13
Thacrudd
Where's the any key?!?

Thacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run Crysis
3-5 years? not quite. Reminds me of that Star Trek movie
Thacrudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2008, 15:07   #14
knoj
Multimodder

knoj has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The mouse didn't replace the keyboard... I don't think much will replace the mouse, we'll just have more things to buy and use.
Old 18th Jul 2008, 15:52   #15
Arkanrais
Supermodder

Arkanrais has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
yeah, I agree they're talking crap. not happening. you could replace your mouse with a touch screen, but how cheap is a mouse compared to a cheap touch sensitive tablet? let alone a freaking touch sensitive LCD, those things cost thousands for a 22" (and I'm currently eying up a 4x5.5" tablet for around $60. compare that to a cheap mouse for $10 or $20).
in next weeks article; in 20 years time, everyone will be replacing their current limbs with artificial super limbs with built in cup holders and mini microwaves for heating pies on the go.
Arkanrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2008, 18:08   #16
Cobalt
Supermodder

Cobalt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Actually replacing limbs isn't too far off. With all the soldiers injured by the iraq war, the American DoD is pouring a lot of money into prosthetic technology. Its getting to pretty advanced stages.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2008, 21:59   #17
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanrais View Post
you could replace your mouse with a touch screen, but how cheap is a mouse compared to a cheap touch sensitive tablet? let alone a freaking touch sensitive LCD
Well I have a tablet and it wasn't that expensive, but I rarely use it, it's only any good if you actually holding the laptop like a pad of paper. Trying to use the touch screen while it's in the normal position isn't very practical and results in a sore arm after not long.

The mouse and keyboard can never be completely replaced, as good as tablets are, I would rather set it up like a regular laptop most of the time since I find typing much easier than writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2008, 22:21   #18
SNIPERMikeUK
Multimodder

SNIPERMikeUK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If this is true I will eat a real mouse... Maybe we will finally get rid of the old PS2 ports on main boards as everything is geared towards USB now.
Old 18th Jul 2008, 22:42   #19
hitman012
Super Moderator

hitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The cursory mention of Guitar Hero in that article hardly justifies the title of this news article . The analysts seem much more interested in facial/gesture recognition technologies than guitar controllers.
Old 19th Jul 2008, 01:41   #20
Liquid K9
Human programmer.. heh

Liquid K9 has yet to learn the way of the DremelLiquid K9 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
dont you just love it when "experts" jump on the bandwaggon because of a new fad

gestures have existed for ages, they arent a solution to the entire human-computer-interface paradigm. and neither is touch screen.

Human-Device-Interfacing is the most important, but least understood aspect of technology these days. companys are bought and sold on this alone - the ipod anyone? its not revolutionary, never really was, in any aspect other than being easy to use. The same comparison could be made for Microsoft Windows in the OS space.

I think its going to be a very long time before anything replaces the keyboard and/or mouse - and when it does happen, it'll be something ground breaking. not something thats been around for yonks, that nobody really cares about. And more importantly it'll work accross the board - touch screens and guestures may work for general computer use (internet, wordprocessing etc) but its nigh on useless for gaming.

Perhaps the next step is directly interfacing with a persons brain? its completely plausible, its already been done. But it would need to reach a point where the user doesnt have to wear a skullcap, undergo months of training, or have a chip implanted in their brain.