bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 23rd Jul 2008, 15:04   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Games for Windows Live - expanded and free

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/07...ded-and-free/1

Games for Windows Live - the PC mirror of the Xbox Live service, is going completely free and will be expanded to include new content.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 15:15   #2
kiwik
Minimodder

kiwik has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
They finally realised it was ridiculous.
kiwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 15:16   #3
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Finally. I guess MS clued in that apart from MMOs, where you really shouldn't be paying for the content, but rather the gameplay, nobody pays to play online.

Granted, in 90% of those cases, servers are privately hosted, but at least in private hosting, you don't always have to worry about being banned from one = bricked game.

I do wonder what this means for people sitting on a year of PC Gold Time.... do they get a refund, or shafted?
Tulatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 15:16   #4
Mongoose132
Smiles are free-Use 'em :D

Mongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run Crysis
Never used it, but it's free, so it's better than before IMO
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 15:30   #5
Hg
The game known as life

Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Live was and still should be an XBox only feature.
We PC gamers use a thing called the 'internet' to get demos. Wallpapers, News, Videos etc and best of all its free and simple!
Steam Will always win here as it allows Users to Host Games and dedicated servers for nothing, Live forces you to use their hosted servers etc this will always be there downfall.
Trident- My first case mod, Project Log
Hg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 15:39   #6
Romirez
Minimodder

Romirez has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Only ever tried it on gears of war, and couldn't get past the second chapter of the single player because of it, either due to repeated crashes at the menu screen, or it deleting all my saves on the few occasions it actually worked. Free or not, it's still a sack of ****.
Romirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 15:53   #7
will.
A motorbike of jealousy!

will. has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwill. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Kinda worked ok for me, but when we have such easy access to the internet, it is pretty useless.

Check out my Last.FM & iToggle & Nav-o-Matic jQuery plugins.
will. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 15:57   #8
scarrmrcc
Modder

scarrmrcc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
interestingly i just bought shadowrun (for 5 bucks)...now i can play it online for free (actually haven't installed it yet).

hope people still play it....
scarrmrcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 16:00   #9
BlackMage23
RPG Loving Freak

BlackMage23 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just shows how good valve are if they made steam and are not really trying
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 16:43   #10
1ad7
Supermodder

1ad7 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I didnt know they had a live service for pc...... and Im still laughing that they charged for it.....they need to wake up on the 360 as well...

Oh and no worries about ppl with tons of gold time already bought, they all own macs anyway "It wont install.... why"
1ad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 17:24   #11
Cadillac Ferd
Multimodder

Cadillac Ferd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMage23
Just shows how good valve are if they made steam and are not really trying
I'm pretty sure the reason that Valve is able to make such consistently good products is the fact that they are indeed trying.
Cadillac Ferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 17:44   #12
seveneleven
Minimodder

seveneleven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac Ferd View Post
I'm pretty sure the reason that Valve is able to make such consistently good products is the fact that they are indeed trying.
That's correct.All of their stuff is at such a high level of quality that it actually looks very easy when you look at how well all of the products come together but it's actually a very difficult and time consuming process.
seveneleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 18:45   #13
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Yea, but those of us who have xbox live on our xbox's don't really get any benifits from this, considering we have already splashed out £35 for a years sub to play on our 360's. I don't actually mind paying £35 a year for a damn good service, that's never failed for me, and has so so much available on it, and that's expanding also. The only times i have problems with live is when my internet connection messes about.

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 19:52   #14
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As outrageous as I find it, windows live is definitely earning M$ money on the xbox. I'm glad they finally realised the market is Significantly different on PC. Windows live drove me batsh*t insane when I was trying to play gears of war, I actually think I might still hate it even when it's free. Best of luck to them though, they'll certainly need it to beat the perfection that is steam.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 21:55   #15
r4tch3t
hmmmm....

r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Personally I have never used Windows Live, as all my games are too old (about to buy Commander Keen )
Steam should be the standard and should be licensed out to other companies, as long as they are still interoperable.
Old 24th Jul 2008, 03:28   #16
zimbloggy
Genius Extraordinaire

zimbloggy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
good, because it was getting so that if you didn't have windows live, you couldn't really do a lot of things for certain new games, ala gears of war for pc
Old 24th Jul 2008, 11:22   #17
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
they finally relised how ludicras the charge is. Now all we need is it removed from xbox 360. Paying 35 a year or whatever it is. Is still really way too much consideirng most 360 games are hosted by the person who created the game
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jul 2008, 11:25   #18
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I've never tried Games for Windows Live, but I use Steam on a regular basis. While it has come a long way since being introduced in September 2003 there still are some major annoyances with the service. Only yesterday I repeatedly got booted off servers due to some "Steam connection lost" error. And the ClientRegistry.blob "fix" is almost legendary among Steam users...

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jul 2008, 12:27   #19
Zut
Multimodder

Zut has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I didn't know there WAS a Games for Windows Live!! Though even if I did. I certainly wouldn't have paid for it.

I'll have to look into it.
Zut is offline   Reply With Quote