bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 31st Jul 2008, 09:02   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
VIA launches Nano processor

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/07...no-processor/1

VIA has launches the new Nano processor, formerly codenamed Isaiah, as part of the new VIA EPIA-SN platform.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2008, 09:21   #2
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The fact the chipset supports a single PCIe x16 alone puts it ahead of the Atom for me. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Atom boards appearing with one in the not so distant future mind.
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2008, 09:27   #3
jokkos
too busy to mod *sigh*

jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I'm very, very interested in this new VIA cpu. Can't wait to see some tests!
Old 31st Jul 2008, 09:49   #4
Rexxie
Multimodder

Rexxie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Tests? http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aGlzdWFzdA==
Old 31st Jul 2008, 09:50   #5
jokkos
too busy to mod *sigh*

jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
yup I found them as well :-) Thanks anyway Rexxie. Seems very promising.
Old 31st Jul 2008, 09:54   #6
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pepsi View Post
The fact the chipset supports a single PCIe x16 alone puts it ahead of the Atom for me. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Atom boards appearing with one in the not so distant future mind.
No you won't - Intel has locked the Atom CPU to the 945 chipset that has had it's PCI-Express specifically removed. If you want PCI-Express you should buy a Celeron.

I would have had the VIA Nano and Atom tested for today, but our VIA board was DOA
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2008, 09:57   #7
bowman
Supermodder

bowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Currently none of them interest me, the Atom needs an aging NB/SB combo that restricts it to oversized pocket PCs and Eee style laptops. The way the platform is implemented currently it actually competes with Nano, and it strikes me more as a proof of concept.

Call me when Moorestown arrives and the MIDs really are small and pocketable rather than fat, heavy, bloated devices!
bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2008, 10:29   #8
eek
CAMRA ***.

eek has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
two pints of larger and a chicken curry
I'm guessing Cobra hasn't been rebranded to Larger and this is a typo
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2008, 10:34   #9
Timmy_the_tortoise
International Man of Awesome

Timmy_the_tortoise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If I ever need a SUPER low power, SUPER compact PC (perhaps for in a car).. I'd probably consider these chips..
Q6600 @ 2.40GHz w/G0|Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R|2GB Crucial 667MHz DDR2|Powercolor Radeon HD4850|Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB|Scythe Ninja Mini|LG Blu-ray/HD DVD/DVD-RW Combo Drive|Corsair TX650W|Antec NSK2480
Pioneer VSX-417|2x Gale 3010|2x Yamaha NSP110| MS304W Centre | MS308 Subwoofer
Timmy_the_tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2008, 10:34   #10
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
It's my own special brew, eek
Old 31st Jul 2008, 12:04   #11
seveneleven
Minimodder

seveneleven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What does the "+" stand for behind the frequency of the U2400?
seveneleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2008, 12:12   #12
Timmy_the_tortoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by seveneleven
What does the "+" stand for behind the frequency of the U2400?
I assume it means that it's available at higher frequencies..
Q6600 @ 2.40GHz w/G0|Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R|2GB Crucial 667MHz DDR2|Powercolor Radeon HD4850|Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB|Scythe Ninja Mini|LG Blu-ray/HD DVD/DVD-RW Combo Drive|Corsair TX650W|Antec NSK2480
Old 31st Jul 2008, 12:16   #13
Solidus
Superhuman

Solidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
everytime i see your name timmy, it makes me smile.......sorry...i thought i would put that out there..
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2008, 12:20   #14
Timmy_the_tortoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus
everytime i see your name timmy, it makes me smile.......sorry...i thought i would put that out there..
Glad you did.. It's a play on a NOFX song called Timmy the Turtle.
Old 31st Jul 2008, 15:46   #15
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
me too!

The jump in power consumption between the top two and the rest of the pack is huge! Still, I hope this is as good as it is supposed to be. How do the different speeds compare to "normal" chips?
Old 1st Aug 2008, 00:37   #16
Icy EyeG
Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Icy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by News Article
and no PCI-Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
No you won't - Intel has locked the Atom CPU to the 945 chipset that has had it's PCI-Express specifically removed. If you want PCI-Express you should buy a Celeron.
Are you sure?? How about ECS 945GCT-D?
Icy EyeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2008, 02:51   #17
Gravemind123

Gravemind123 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy EyeG View Post
It could be that they are using one of the Southbridge PCI-Express lanes to do that, if I remember correctly ICH7 has 6 PCI-Express x1 links in the chipset.(maybe it was 4, I can't remember).

Dell XPS M1330 - T8300 - 4GB Ram - 8400M GS - 250GB HDD
Gravemind123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2008, 08:57   #18
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy EyeG View Post
OK, I meant to say the 945 chipset has been stripped of its x16 lanes, but the (butchered) ICH7 has a couple of x1s though iirc
Old 2nd Aug 2008, 01:22   #19
Gravemind123

Gravemind123 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
OK, I meant to say the 945 chipset has been stripped of its x16 lanes, but the (butchered) ICH7 has a couple of x1s though iirc
What did they remove from the ICH7 for the Atom platform?

Dell XPS M1330 - T8300 - 4GB Ram - 8400M GS - 250GB HDD
Gravemind123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2008, 10:48   #20
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

I can't remember specifically I'd have to spend time looking it up, but it's a mobile ICH7 to make it super-low power.