bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 9th Apr 2014, 22:40   #1
Porkins' Wingman
Can't touch this

Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.
Insulating underfloor heating

Am I going to get much difference in thermal insulation performance from these two products?

Warmup Insulation Boards 10mm

Vitrex Premier Underlay Board 5mm but doubled up to two layers making 10mm

Reason: Couple of years ago we laid an engineered wood flooring in our kitchen, with an electric underfloor heating mat beneath it. To minimise heat loss through the concrete floor below, whilst also trying to not raise the height of the floor any more than we had to, we opted to lay the 10mm Warmup Insulation boards (see above), stuck down with flexible adhesive.

Can't remember what it cost us then, but this week I'm doing the same thing for the floor in our hall and downstairs lav so went out earlier to pick up the insulation boards and adhesive.

For 6m the total cost was about 140 (after he dropped the price on the boards from 17.99 to 13.50ish when I balked at the initial total). Plus I'll have to fanny around with mixing and spreading the adhesive, letting it set etc.

If I just doubled up two layers of the Vitrex boards it will cost me half the price and take less work as there's mention of adhesive required on the packaging.

Any experts out there?

Edit: The Vitrex stuff is even cheaper at Screwfix - 33% cheaper.
"Porkins' Wingman's post is just about the most thoughtful, inciteful post I have ever read on a public forum anywhere. It has made me think....which is no mean feat in itself." - Provoking thought since 8th March 2014
Porkins' Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2014, 23:26   #2
asura
jack of all trades

asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.
Two layers of the cheep stuff will give you a (approximate - based on their R-value of 0.035m2 k/w) U-value of 2.86. The expensive stuff will give you a U-value of 2.70 (their figures) lower is better. However, as the current new-build regs for floor insulation in Scotland are 0.2 (I shite you not!) I think the 0.16 difference is the least of your worries.

Once you've put both layers down, scrape a thin layer of PVA glue over the top piece, and slap down some tinfoil - you could even sandwich a layer between the two sheets for extra reflectivity. Doing that'll probably work out even better than the single layer of more expensive stuff.
asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2014, 09:33   #3
Porkins' Wingman
Can't touch this

Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.
Well, if you don't know what you're talking about, at least you sound like you do.

In the absence of anything else to the contrary, I'm gonna give it a shot - thanks
"Porkins' Wingman's post is just about the most thoughtful, inciteful post I have ever read on a public forum anywhere. It has made me think....which is no mean feat in itself." - Provoking thought since 8th March 2014
Porkins' Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode