Analog Hand Watch 213 60.51%
Digital Hand Watch 42 11.93%
Digital + Analog 30 8.52%
don't wear one 67 19.03%
Voters: 352. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st Nov 2012, 09:10   #341
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMod-Southpaw View Post
Hey Stonesturd, could you give me an idea of where you got the Seagull. I didn't capture my interest too much when I first saw it but it's been on my mind since!

Tad- how many watches are you up to now then?
You can get it directly from Seagull at the cheapest price. I've sent you the details in a PM.

I was impatient, and wanted the option for customs-cleared shipping because Indian customs are notorious for pilfering and being generally slow, so I ordered it from watchunique.com

The one place you *don't* want to order from is seagull1963.com, because it's stupidly overpriced there.

Also, keep in mind that the watch is available with a flat sapphire crystal and a domed acrylic crystal. I prefer the authentic look of the domed acrylic to the raised bezel of the sapphire-topped version, but YMMV. Make sure you know what you're ordering, though.
Old 21st Nov 2012, 10:10   #342
Mister_Tad
Serious about coffee

Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMod-Southpaw View Post
Tad- how many watches are you up to now then?
Just 5, but only have box-space for 4

Does anyone have any experience with these winder/boxes?
http://www.thegiftery.co.uk/jeweller...gn=froogle#269

I've seen them on John Lewis before, which in my mind makes them seem at least somewhat reputable for some reason. I have a Rapport single right now, which is great, but I'd sooner buy a new watch than the Rapport cabinet with a similar format to the one linked above.
Mister_Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2012, 10:46   #343
stonedsurd

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm a little wary of overwinding my watches, so if I'm not wearing one of the autos, I just let it run down. I'm not so lazy that a little time/date setting action puts me off
Old 21st Nov 2012, 11:01   #344
Mister_Tad
Serious about coffee

Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.
At one point I was wearing the same automatic every day, 7 days per week - pretty sure there's protection in place to prevent over-winding! (same with manual winds)

I'm pretty sure that "bricks with regular use" wouldn't be acceptable feature on any watch in the £1000+ category
Old 21st Nov 2012, 11:23   #345
stonedsurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Tad View Post
At one point I was wearing the same automatic every day, 7 days per week - pretty sure there's protection in place to prevent over-winding! (same with manual winds)

I'm pretty sure that "bricks with regular use" wouldn't be acceptable feature on any watch in the £1000+ category
Sorry, what I meant when I said "over winding" was the wear and tear that comes with constant motion. Wearing a watch 16 hours a day for a year necessitates a servicing and re-lube within about 3 years (on the safe side, but usually not more than 5 years).

If you have a watch that's winding (and consequently running) 24/7, either on your wrist or in a winder, you are just decreasing the time between inspections.

I know its overcautious, and I probably wouldn't care about doing it with a Seiko or Miyota, but I would be pretty cagey about doing it with a Rolex/JLC/Omega.
Old 21st Nov 2012, 11:56   #346
Unicorn
Uniform November India

Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
I'm thinking of getting another Tissot in the new year. I've been wearing my T-Touch Ti Expert every day for more than two months and am still waiting to get parts for my (previous daily wear) 8 year old Accurist, but I'd love this PR100 to replace it as my "work watch";

I love blue dials and an automatic would be so handy for every day wear. I also need a waterproof watch, and my Accurist lost its waterproof seal after the first battery change. I'm attempting to get it watertight again, but as I've said, I'm waiting on a couple of parts for it at the moment, namely a caseback seal, bracelet spring bars and a stem and crown.
Following on from this, I also love the PRS516:

Between the two, I like the PRS more than the PR, but I will probably end up with the PR because it's more understated looking, which I think makes it a more suitable every day wear watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp1988 View Post
Same as always

Which model is this?

"For every stalwart bit-tech-worthy tech out there, another 2 cretinous arse-scratchers are out there pulling your patches and reconfiguring your ****." - Krikkit
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2012, 12:34   #347
lp1988
Ultramodder

lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post

Which model is this?
J376/476

NE AUDERIS DELERE ORBEM RIGIDUM MEUM.
lp1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2012, 12:45   #348
Mister_Tad
Serious about coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedsurd View Post
Sorry, what I meant when I said "over winding" was the wear and tear that comes with constant motion. Wearing a watch 16 hours a day for a year necessitates a servicing and re-lube within about 3 years (on the safe side, but usually not more than 5 years).

If you have a watch that's winding (and consequently running) 24/7, either on your wrist or in a winder, you are just decreasing the time between inspections.

I know its overcautious, and I probably wouldn't care about doing it with a Seiko or Miyota, but I would be pretty cagey about doing it with a Rolex/JLC/Omega.
Ah, that makes more sense.

I hadn't thought of it that way - all I know is how stupid I feel when someone asks the time and I glance at the watch to realise it's 8 hours ago (or three days ago) because I've grabbed a watch in a hurry and not noticed that it's dead... and then when I've reset the time I still have the date 12 hours off..
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 09:25   #349
stonedsurd

My Seagull has arrived. Bonus look at my 1680 Submariner. It is actually a rare "Red Sub" but I had the original dial removed and hid it away.

Tools by angad84, on Flickr

Seagull 1963 Chronograph by angad84, on Flickr

Seagull 1963 Chronograph - Green by angad84, on Flickr

Seagull 1963 Chronograph - Black by angad84, on Flickr

Seagull 1963 Chronograph - Movement by angad84, on Flickr
Old 10th Dec 2012, 21:33   #350
jopers1986
Supermodder

jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Picked up my new Tissot Tradition this afternoon, is beautiful!!

Grandads initials on the back.
A64 3200+ winnie at 2.4, gainward 7900gs 256mb, i gig of OCZ vx4000 Gold, lanparty RDX-200 crossfire mobo, 250 gig + 2x80 gig WD s-ata, tagan power 420w
lian li v1000 no longer watercooled, but silent on air
jopers1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2012, 22:21   #351
wolfticket
Downwind from the bloodhounds

wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.
Soooo, Tissot good then?
Because I've had my eye on this since seeing it in a shop window in Bern:

I like it because it has an unnecessarily big unabbreviated day of the week indicator

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."
Dorothy L. Sayers (1893 - 1957)
wolfticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2012, 22:26   #352
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.
I quite like the day indicator, reminds me of an old train station for some reason.
KidMod-Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2012, 07:48   #353
jopers1986
Supermodder

jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jopers1986 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Tissot are great Swiss watches, and unique! They have some great perpetual movements, couldn't be more happy with mine
A64 3200+ winnie at 2.4, gainward 7900gs 256mb, i gig of OCZ vx4000 Gold, lanparty RDX-200 crossfire mobo, 250 gig + 2x80 gig WD s-ata, tagan power 420w
lian li v1000 no longer watercooled, but silent on air
jopers1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2012, 08:33   #354
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
I seem to remember the consensus about Tissot is decent, but overpriced. At similar money for the auto's you can get better.

But, most importantly, if you like 'em, buy 'em.
Old 11th Dec 2012, 09:48   #355
stonedsurd

Tissot is actually on the reasonable end of the spectrum for ETA-powered Swiss autos. But they're largely boring and safe, so I'd shop around for something with a little more soul. Even Hamiltons
Old 11th Dec 2012, 10:25   #356
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm looking at a Mondaine watch, I love the second-hand indicator. The question is, are they any good? I.e. durable, good time-keeping? I've read a review which mentions any with a date indicator on have to be reset at the end of each month.
Old 11th Dec 2012, 10:33   #357
Bufo802
Supermodder

Bufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run CrysisBufo802 can run Crysis
Had this Maurice Lacroix watch for 2 1/2 years now, automatic, swiss made and also not too big which I quite like. Worn it most days since then so been a bit battered but has lasted very well.

Gigabyte H67N-USB3-B3 (mitx) - Intel Core i5 2500k - Thermalright AXP-140 - 8gb corsair arctic white - 1gb EVGA GTX560ti (900/1800/4200mhz) - 120gb adata s511 ssd - 2tb Seagate LP hard drive - Silverstone SG06
Bufo802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2012, 08:03   #358
Unicorn
Uniform November India

Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfticket View Post
Soooo, Tissot good then?
Because I've had my eye on this since seeing it in a shop window in Bern:

I like it because it has an unnecessarily big unabbreviated day of the week indicator
I love Tissot, and have had one (Titanium T-Touch Expert) on my wrist more or less every day for the past 3 1/2 months now - and have no intention of stopping! You won't be disappointed, they do know how to make a very good watch

"For every stalwart bit-tech-worthy tech out there, another 2 cretinous arse-scratchers are out there pulling your patches and reconfiguring your ****." - Krikkit
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2012, 10:25   #359
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My current watch is an iPod Nano (the small square one) in a LunaTik watchstrap case

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2012, 13:54   #360
TheTourist
Supermodder

TheTourist is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.TheTourist is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.TheTourist is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.TheTourist is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.TheTourist is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.TheTourist is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.TheTourist is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.TheTourist is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.TheTourist is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.TheTourist is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.TheTourist is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Not having as much money as I'd like, I have to stick to a cheap one for now. But that's not always bad, I've got a Timex Easy Reader - love how subtle it is.

TheTourist is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode