bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Aug 2008, 10:46   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
VIA to leave chipset market

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/08...ipset-market/1

Rumours of Nvidia's exit from the chipset market may have been exaggerated, but VIA has confirmed that it will only manufacture motherboard chipsets for its own line of CPUs.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2008, 11:02   #2
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So we're left with Intel chipsets for Intel processors, AMD chipsets for AMD processors, and nVidia uncomfortably sandwiched between the two.
Paradigm Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2008, 11:38   #3
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
When did VIA last build a decent chipset for LGA775 / AM2 anyway?
Old 12th Aug 2008, 11:45   #4
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What do you mean by "decent", they were always cheap and usable
Old 12th Aug 2008, 11:45   #5
cjoyce1980
Supermodder

cjoyce1980 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007
When did VIA last build a decent chipset for LGA775 / AM2 anyway?
thats not then point, anyway back in the AMD K7 day, some of there motherboards overclocked extreme well and performed just as well as there nvidia counterparts
cjoyce1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2008, 11:54   #6
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMaltor
What do you mean by "decent", they were always cheap and usable
Well, put it this way - if you were in the market for a new motherboard today, would you consider buying a VIA chipset board for your Core 2 Duo / Quad or your Athlon X2? Or would you be looking at Intel, nVidia and AMD exclusively? A quick look on www.scan.co.uk doesn't turn up ANY boards for these chips based on VIA chipsets, so my point is, while more competition is generally good for the consumer, why is it news that VIA has dropped out of the market of producing chipsets for Intel/AMD chips? I thought they had done so ages ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoyce1980
thats not then point, anyway back in the AMD K7 day, some of there motherboards overclocked extreme well and performed just as well as there nvidia counterparts
So then it is exactly the point - K7 was aeons ago and they haven't produced anything of note since. They may as well have dropped out of the "mainstream" motherboard market 5 years ago and concentrated on their own integrated products.
Old 12th Aug 2008, 12:20   #7
Timmy_the_tortoise
International Man of Awesome

Timmy_the_tortoise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Shame.. I always loved VIA, being the champion of the underdog that I am.
Q6600 @ 2.40GHz w/G0|Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R|2GB Crucial 667MHz DDR2|Powercolor Radeon HD4850|Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB|Scythe Ninja Mini|LG Blu-ray/HD DVD/DVD-RW Combo Drive|Corsair TX650W|Antec NSK2480
Pioneer VSX-417|2x Gale 3010|2x Yamaha NSP110| MS304W Centre | MS308 Subwoofer
Timmy_the_tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2008, 12:25   #8
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007
why is it news that VIA has dropped out of the market of producing chipsets for Intel/AMD chips? I thought they had done so ages ago.
It's news because it is now official. For all any of us know, VIA could've been working on new chipsets to arrive in the coming months but they've now ruled that out. I'd say that's news worthy.

Edit: Oops, quoted wrong bit. Fixed.
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2008, 12:28   #9
lamboman
I *am* a Dremel

lamboman has yet to learn the way of the Dremellamboman has yet to learn the way of the Dremellamboman has yet to learn the way of the Dremellamboman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Shame, but it really is about time. Nobody is buying their chipsets anymore, and they are often having compatibility issues...
lamboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2008, 13:49   #10
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
i consider their chipsets to be a peace of crap.... thank God they are out of the picture.
Old 12th Aug 2008, 14:35   #11
TreeDude
Supermodder

TreeDude has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have a KT600 on my Athlon XP that has never given me an issue (still being used as a low end gaming rig for my gf). I also had an Asrock with a PT880 so I could use a C2D with an AGP card. Had great experiences with both. I must admit VIA has never been high end, but I always saw them as being solid chipsets.
TreeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2008, 15:03   #12
BlackMage23
RPG Loving Freak

BlackMage23 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ah, I remember when VIA were the kings of motherboard chipsets. It was after the Nforce 2 came out that VIA started to slip from the top spot.
Old 12th Aug 2008, 15:26   #13
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXR_13KE
i consider their chipsets to be a peace of crap.... thank God they are out of the picture.
i wonder how long uve been working with computer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMage23
Ah, I remember when VIA were the kings of motherboard chipsets. It was after the Nforce 2 came out that VIA started to slip from the top spot.
yup, the KT133, 100 (could be wrong with the names) was substantially beating the crap out of Intel or the maturing Nvidia chipset less than a decade ago. overclocking a Duron or original Athlon was VIA territory.

sad to leave them go.

personally i prefer them to let go the CPU market and focus on chipset instead. but hey.....
ASUS Z97i-Plus - 4670K - 8GB DDR3 - Zotac GTX 970 - Crucial MX100 256GB - Corsair 250D [Modded]
www.pecelayam.com
Redbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2008, 17:21   #14
clete
What's a Dremel?

clete has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is truly sad- as competition continues to dwindle in the Mobo and Chipset markets. I can remember back to the good ole 386 days when VEGA brand motherboards with Symphony chipsets were consider top drawer. Symphony was the company that evolved into VIA. We've lost dzens of Mobo makers in the past 10 years, and now the chipset industry is down to almost no independents. Prices will go up, technological innovation will go down. Off the top of my head I can remember these now dead chipsets manufacturers:

OPTI
VIA
ETEQ
CONTAQ
FOREX
UMC
ULI

I am sure there are others. The maturation of the the component industry is a double-edged sword for enthusiasts.
clete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2008, 18:02   #15
Furymouse
Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Furymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm still only using VIA chipsets. Via 800 on my main rig and a kt333 on my server. I loved them for their stability. The 800 is about three years old and the 333 is around six and they are still plugging away all happy like. I went the VIA route after I becam the early adopter of the rev. 1 Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo with the Nforce chip. Now that was utter crap. Went thru three different boards and to much money to want to think about. Then I got my Soyo via 333 and have been happy ever since
Old 12th Aug 2008, 18:55   #16
pendragon
I pickle they

pendragon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
`tis a shame. I'm still running an AOpen board using their KT line of chipsets. Ah well, best of luck to them.. looks like they make a killer small CPU anyway.. hopefully they can keep it up
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote