1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blizzard has plans for Diablo 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

I'm getting quite annoyed that a lot of franchises are running into their fourth and fifth installments now, theres hardly any big releases this year that are actually new games. I know that lots of games iron out problems in sequels, but it shouldn't take 4 or 5 games to get the mechanics right, and stories that getting dragged on that long just get boring.

The only exception to endless sequels seem to be the Final Fantasy games, which change all the characters, story and mechanics with every version, and just retain the feel of the other games in the franchise. Why can't other games do this?

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

The art direction is perfectly fine, much better than the dull brown fields of Act I in D2.

Since I love Diablo, the thought of a 4th game gets me excited, but part of me wishes they'd try and take it in a different direction, or create an entirely new setting and game.

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

actually Jordie, they pretty much nailed the game mechanics nigh on perfectly in the first game...they perfected it in the second game....if anything diablo 3 has a helluvalot to live up to. I'm sure blizz will have it spot on though.

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

agree with you totally here. I'd like a moder day setting of Diablo with vampires :D

6. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

diablo 5: just like WoW, but more colourful. evil has survived and its now in super deformed form and has pixie dust and rainbows shooting out its bung hole.

7. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

FF games wore out or me a long time ago. Releasing the same game over and over with gameplay tweaks and yet another rehash of the same basic story isn't innovation. We do seem to have some more original franchises coming up though. Mirror's Edge, Borderlands, Spore, Dead Space and I'm sure there are a few others (Lots of EA in that list for some reason)

8. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

FF don't just tweak mechanics, they chuck them out of the window. From 7 to 8, materia to junction, the two systems were polar opposites. They weren't afraid to make a big change, which could have cost them and that defines innovation: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html
    And while we do have new franchises coming up, the sequels vastly outnumber them. Lets look, the big games of this year, MGS4, GTA4, GoW2, Far Cry 2, Red Alert 3, Fallout 3, Crysis Warhead, Clear Sky, RE5, DMC4, and i could go on

9. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

This made me crack up. :hehe:

10. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

its going to fun, its going to be killing stuff, getting kewl armour, and co-op play threw the game
    stop all your complaining, its going to be fun and awesome
    i'd much rather have a direct copy of quake with updated graphics then doom3 or quake4
    what works works so why mess with it
    graphics looks awesome, gameplay awesome, if you don't like then go play outside and kick a ball rather then complaining

11. SARTH

SARTH What's a Dremel?

Yeah...
    What about Ghost?
    Remember it?
    VAPORWARE
    D4 ... lets get D3 before 2012 and MAYBE I will believe...it has been nearly 8 - 10 years since D2...
    I love D2, D1, and all things Blizzy, but lets get real...it is amazing for a company to make SO few games to be so popular...is RockStar the next Blizzy?
    MMO...wont be D. Don't make sense...SC does...hate to say...
    Borrow a page from Crytek and make D4 some uber graphic intensive game, and don't whine like those AHoles who made Witcher complaining that everyone stole your game...
    Yeah, I know, flame city...
    Sarth

12. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

As long as the game play is top notch, they can keep making them. I do love good graphics, but gameplay wins me over. Hell...I still play CnC Red Alert 2 and Duke3D.

13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well FF isn't a series so much as a series of disconnected games sharing a name (exception: X/X-2). The artistic style tends to be the only thing vaguely consistent. And a character named Cid, of course.

Diablo 2 had quite excellent game mechanics and D3 will not likely change that tremendously - but it certainly looks to be a sequel in a much more traditional sense. It's certainly not a third try at getting things right; in fact, given Blizzard's history, it'll probably be the third implementation of a very successful product.

14. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

In a bit of a role reversal, I wouldn't mind playing Diablo from the other side of the fence. Being on the side of evil would bring a fresh look and feel to the game I think. Would be kind of cool for Diablo to give you quests. :D

15. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

blizzard should buy rights to dungeon keeper and make 3rd installment, i loved that game

16. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

i'm excited about this game. i'm sure i'll be buying it.

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

That's because they were just generally **** as far as any shooter goes.

Tags: Add Tags