bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th Aug 2008, 12:16   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
51 GPU Folding@home setup is a beast

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/08...g-home-setup/1

Folding@home user builds forty six GPU folding farm, processing a mind blowing 265,200 point per day!

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2008, 12:35   #2
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I agree that Folding@Home is for a good cause... but my electricity bill is already higher than I would like, and I don't leave my systems running when they don't have to be. Of course, my electricity bill is probably so high because of a horribly power inefficient freezer.
Old 14th Aug 2008, 12:37   #3
Bionic-Blob
Multimodder

Bionic-Blob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
if he's got the money to buy that many GPUs, i doubt electricity will be a problem xD

props to him though
Bionic-Blob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2008, 12:55   #4
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
go Bit-tech team! come on people!

the thing is, i highly doubt the power-to-calculation ratio that farm produces. surely it'd be more effecient to put an IBM's new super computer at work than to use a home-made processing farm. apart from the GPU's stream processors, there's also got to be CPU and hard disk/flash to power.
Old 14th Aug 2008, 13:03   #5
TomH
Bwahahahahaha

TomH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I would hate to see his electricity bill!
Old 14th Aug 2008, 13:04   #6
ChaosDefinesOrder
Vapourmodder

ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.
"It really shouldn't of come as a surprise"

you mean shouldn't HAVE come as a surprise

*sigh*
ChaosDefinesOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2008, 13:10   #7
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
That looks like an awesome setup.

The good thing about this is we will probably start to see larger institutions (interested in parallel processed research) building large numbers of these kinds of clusters - given the cheap power of the GPU, and how easy it is to get them fitted into a small space, it'd make a very effective thing indeed, rather than having big clusters of normal PC's.
Old 14th Aug 2008, 13:15   #8
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosDefinesOrder View Post
"It really shouldn't of come as a surprise"

you mean shouldn't HAVE come as a surprise

*sigh*
Correct it, or I'm reporting you to the Grammar Police and they're not a nice bunch of people. I've heard they're now involving some sort of revolving bull as an instrument of torture.

2nd para 'It really shouldn't of come as a surprise' - it's HAVE. HAVE. ffs.
Old 14th Aug 2008, 13:21   #9
Timmy_the_tortoise
International Man of Awesome

Timmy_the_tortoise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Bit-tech has a folding team?

I'm joining that.. I want to be in a team!
Q6600 @ 2.40GHz w/G0|Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R|2GB Crucial 667MHz DDR2|Powercolor Radeon HD4850|Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB|Scythe Ninja Mini|LG Blu-ray/HD DVD/DVD-RW Combo Drive|Corsair TX650W|Antec NSK2480
Pioneer VSX-417|2x Gale 3010|2x Yamaha NSP110| MS304W Centre | MS308 Subwoofer
Timmy_the_tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2008, 13:52   #10
rjkoneill
Supermodder

rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
i agree it is for a good cause

i read "folding will cure disease and lead to a brighter future for next generations"
thats not going to happen if the planet dies first though is it

carbon footprint of that rig must be massive
i understand research must be done - the intention of folding is good - but the logistics of it make it a hypocracy
Old 14th Aug 2008, 14:33   #11
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh don't worry, he can offset his footprint with carbon credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2008, 16:45   #12
Timmy_the_tortoise
International Man of Awesome

Timmy_the_tortoise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veles
Oh don't worry, he can offset his footprint with carbon credits
EW!
Q6600 @ 2.40GHz w/G0|Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R|2GB Crucial 667MHz DDR2|Powercolor Radeon HD4850|Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB|Scythe Ninja Mini|LG Blu-ray/HD DVD/DVD-RW Combo Drive|Corsair TX650W|Antec NSK2480
Pioneer VSX-417|2x Gale 3010|2x Yamaha NSP110| MS304W Centre | MS308 Subwoofer
Timmy_the_tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2008, 16:58   #13
ComputerKing

ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
dude do you image the HEAT ! I don't care about the bill, But HEAT + NOISE! that dude will kill him self soon !!!

The King Of CK Appreciation Society Group
ComputerKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2008, 17:07   #14
devdevil85
Hypermodder

devdevil85 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This guy has way too much money. Atleast it's going towards a good cause, right?
devdevil85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2008, 17:55   #15
ParaHelix.org
Supermodder

ParaHelix.org has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic-Blob View Post
if he's got the money to buy that many GPUs, i doubt electricity will be a problem xD

props to him though
Too true, too true lol. That must have cost a shed full of cash.
ParaHelix.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2008, 18:05   #16
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH
I would hate to see his electricity bill!
He could have some sort of solar/wind generators in which case they would probably pay HIM some months
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2008, 18:50   #17
pendragon
I pickle they

pendragon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
that's amazing.. I wish I had that kind of money. The folding project is genius - what a great way to help the rest of the world with geek power!
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2008, 21:03   #18
ZERO <ibis>
Supermodder

ZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the DremelZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I used to run it whenever my system was not in use, then I went to college and I can not afford to keep this thing on to play games let alone 24 hours. I am still trying to figure out a way to smart manage the energy of my home server before implementing it.
Old 14th Aug 2008, 21:57   #19
robaal
What's a Dremel?

robaal has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Huh, he only needed 500W PSUs for the quad-GPU rigs... one of them even uses a 430W Antec.

btw. assuming 13 rigs (52GPUs) with a power draw of 430W each and a price per kWh of 0.1USD his monthly bill for the farm would be about 400USD.
robaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2008, 22:24   #20
Jojii
hardware freak

Jojii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If you read the forum at overclocker the guy financed the purchase through his nursing company were he takes care of people about to die and he lost some family members to cancer. He believes that the folding project will help stimulate research for the issues he has to deal with.

oh and he said that price/performance ratio is way better than using quads. aparently he sold a c2q farm to help with the initial purchase price.

edit: oh and he is running vista
Jojii is offline   Reply With Quote