bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 19th Aug 2008, 14:28   #1
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
Project: ALIENWARE ALX Case Mod...Final Assembly

This Case Mod was done by bit-tech's MOTM Sponser, Mnpctech!

Customize your PC or window with custom Stickers from Mnpctech HERE

Update from page 6, 9/10

After and Before

Thank you! Heres the final assembly

This case was sent to Mnpctech.com by our customer, who purchased it from Alienware's outlet store on Ebay. Before dropping your cash on one, read Alienware's policy! We received two different cases with different issues. The cases are classified as "Renewed" and returned as customer product evaluations or open-box returns. Alienware policy states "Renewed products may contain scratches, cracks, chips, wear, blemishes and/or similar flaws. However, IF you receive a case that you feel to be very badly damaged then we will consider an exchange. BUT that damage must be substantial (not just limited to a few scratches or scuffs)

The first case sent from our customer had several plastic mounting tabs broken for the top and side panels. We had no way of replicating new plastic tabs, so we notified our customer about this and they had another case dropped to Mnpctech. The second was in much better condition with only these minor issues.

1. Side panel latch cover sticks a bit, you have to press real firm to release it.
2. The leds are removed from the Alien head badges. (standard procedure by Alienware)
3. The back cover of the bay door had one broken plastic peg, but nothing detrimental.
4. The case feet are real scratched, but this is expected with plastic feet.

One annoyance that Alienware could avoid for their customers is using low tack painter's tape instead of "Scotch" tape to secure the panels during shipment. The Scotch tape leaves a sticky residue that may upset customer that didn't plan on painting the case.

Alienware ALX arrives from Alienware's Outlet store

The chassis was manufactured by Chieftec.

Removing the Alienware's top plastic watercool radiator that enclosed Koolance EXOS radiator.

Location of 2x 80mm cooling intake fans (not included) in Alienware's renewed cases.

Behind the front bezel

By the customer request, we removed the center portions between the bars of the side panel vents. These will be sanded, and prepped for flat black paint. Modders Mesh will be mounted behind the bars.

The customer also requested we remove the lower portion of the 3.5 hard drive cage. This involved drilling out several of the factory pop rivets to remove the cage.

The modified cage re-installed. It now provides more floor space in the chassis for watercooling components.

Our customer also requested a window in his Alienware ALX's left side panel. The ALX design incorporates a plastic shell over it's aluminum case panel. You must cut two windows in the panel in order to see inside the case. This is a basic run through of what was involved in making the window. If you're attempting to perform this same mod, feel free to contact Mnpctech with any questions, pcbuilderATmnpctech.com

You're limited on what you can design for a window without compromising how the plastic shell fastens onto the side panel. The reason is that theres several plastic tabs on it's backside of the plastic that clip onto the inner aluminum panel. You should draw your window design inside of these fasten tabs.
You'll also notice the backside of the plastic is reinforced in which I can only describe as a grate.
I will post and link a photo in the next update of the backside.

To draw out your design, I'll use either #2060 Green or #2090 Blue "low tack" painter's tape by Scotch/3M. You can buy these Home Depot or Ace Hardware stores. You also apply tape so you don't scratch up the panel with the jigsaw's steel guard.

Whenever I make a side panel window, I always use a jigsaw with a 18 TPI (teeth per inch) bi-metal cutting blade. I'll make the intial incision for the jigsaw blade with a rotary tool and 1.5" reinforced dremel cutting wheels

After your window is cut, you'll need to use a rounded side hand file to clean up the edges of you cut.

Your window isn't finished yet, remember we're dealing with two panels, not one. Apply the low tack tape onto the aluminum panel, then temporarily mount the plastic shell back onto the aluminum panel. Now trace out your first window onto the aluminum panel.

Then you follow the same procedure you did for cutting out the first panel.

The planned paint theme for the case is all "Flat Black" while contemplating airbrushed carbon fiber accents depending upon our customer's wishes.

Last edited by mnpctech; 9th Feb 2012 at 13:49.
mnpctech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2008, 14:33   #2
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
appears i posted during an edit, sorry
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2008, 14:34   #3
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
No worries!
Old 19th Aug 2008, 14:42   #4
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
I like the look of the ALX cases...

I'll be watching
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2008, 17:59   #5
barracuda
What's a Dremel?

barracuda has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice.I've been waiting for quite some times to see someone modify the alienware case.Its finally here.
I am gonna watch this.

barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2008, 18:19   #6
KayinBlack
Terminal is a state of mind

KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm watching this one too, Bill. I'm considering this hardcore now that I can easily buy one...

Quit chopping up the locals to make tools.-Cheapskate
KayinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2008, 18:21   #7
bigsharn
Officially demotivated

bigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysis
*Subscribed*

I've always wondered how the ALX could be improved... now I shall find out
Old 19th Aug 2008, 18:29   #8
E.E.L. Ambiense
Acrylic Heretic

E.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run Crysis
Man, you weren't kidding Bill. That does look like carbon-fiber! Props to Brad, again.
LilyPC V.2 - completed! • BIO-A10 - MotM Jul. '12 Nominee Loser! • "Movie Sign!" - in progress • CheckMate - MotM May '09 Nominee Loser! • BluBawx I - MotY '09 Nominee Loser! • Lumi่re Noire - MotM Apr. '08 Nominee Loser! • NOTalis w/ MNPCTech • "Building Better Worlds" - MotM Feb. '08 Nominee Loser!
E.E.L. Ambiense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2008, 20:37   #9
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

Thanks for checking this project guys I will that I was impressed with the quality and the construction of the case, but it is by Chieftec! The only thing you have to be weary about is the plastic tabs for the outter shell.
Old 19th Aug 2008, 21:23   #10
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So basically, Alienware charges you $180 for a dirty old chieftech with a few low quality plastic panels slapped on? I knew that they overcharged, but come on...
Tulatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2008, 22:07   #11
ComputerKing

ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.

The King Of CK Appreciation Society Group
ComputerKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2008, 22:37   #12
icutebluezone
The meaning of life is to MOD

icutebluezone has yet to learn the way of the Dremelicutebluezone has yet to learn the way of the Dremelicutebluezone has yet to learn the way of the Dremelicutebluezone has yet to learn the way of the Dremelicutebluezone has yet to learn the way of the Dremelicutebluezone has yet to learn the way of the Dremelicutebluezone has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Dam dude at it again. nice work. This is going to be sweeeet. Looks mint already.
icutebluezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2008, 22:42   #13
brinkz0r
Hypermodder

brinkz0r has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That's not the prettiest case out there, I'll follow you on your journey to a yet another unique case
brinkz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2008, 04:00   #14
wbdog206
Supermodder

wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
looks like it off to a good start.
Old 20th Aug 2008, 05:37   #15
Colossous
Hypermodder

Colossous can run CrysisColossous can run CrysisColossous can run CrysisColossous can run CrysisColossous can run CrysisColossous can run CrysisColossous can run CrysisColossous can run Crysis
Nice start duder - subscribed
Colossous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2008, 15:30   #16
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice start mate. This is looking great.
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2008, 13:05   #17
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

Thanks everybody, they've requested the entire case/chassis be painted "Flat Black"

If you've missed it, heres a video of us prepping and painting another PC chassis

Old 21st Aug 2008, 13:26   #18
modgodtanvir
Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

modgodtanvir has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah! Flat black! Awesome colour for a chassis...

This is going to look awesome!
MGT
modgodtanvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2008, 13:47   #19
.Fatality.
Multimodder

.Fatality. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
bill im your bigest fan! awsome paint!
.Fatality. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2008, 14:12   #20
ComputerKing

ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.ComputerKing is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
no I'm his biggest fan not you

The King Of CK Appreciation Society Group
ComputerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
case mod

View Mode