bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 26th Aug 2008, 10:07   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Diebold admits flaw in voting machine for a decade

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/08...for-a-decade/1

Voting machine manufacturer Premier, previously known as Diebold, has admitted a programming error causes its equipment to drop votes - and has done for over a decade.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2008, 10:31   #2
Bladestorm
Hypermodder

Bladestorm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Would I trust a company that had a major error with far-reaching consequences and either lied about it for ten years, or was so blinkered by arrogance that they failed to even notice .. erm .. why no I don't think I would
Old 26th Aug 2008, 10:49   #3
Arkanrais
Supermodder

Arkanrais has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
more complexity on voting machines = more things to go wrong.
paper = cheesecake
Arkanrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2008, 11:06   #4
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Ouch. Maybe explains how a shaved chimp managed to win their presidential election not once, but twice?!
Old 26th Aug 2008, 11:28   #5
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Shaved chimp? I thought that was the average American... :P
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2008, 11:45   #6
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
And guess who the real owners of that company are.. I bet the rockafella's of the world and other new world order scum...
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2008, 13:32   #7
chicorasia
Multimodder

chicorasia has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Brazil has been using electronic voting machines for some ten years now. As far as I remember, they are made by Procomp.

These are incredilby simple devices - no color display, no touch screen, no punch cards. People vote by punching in their candidate's number - two digits for president, governor or mayor, 3 digits for senator, 4 and 5 digits for other representatives.

Before the voting begins, a report called ZERESIMA is printed out, to verify that there are no votes already in the ballot's memory. Voters arrive, are identified and their ID number is punched into a remote terminal, which unlocks the ballot. After all the votes are cast (up to 5), the ballot locks itfself, waiting for the next voter. At the end of election day, a code is typed into the remote terminal, several reports are generated (including a vote count, which must match the number of voters who have signed the voter list), all the data is verified and recorded into a floppy (yes, floppy) disk and uploaded via the internet to a central server. Results are cast in less than 24 hours.

Bear in mind that voting in Brazil is mandatory, and we have over 100 million voters.

If you want to get a feel for Brazilian ballots, go to:
http://www.tse.gov.br/eleicoes/urna_...rnaApplet2.htm

(I have worked on several elections already)
chicorasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2008, 14:59   #8
MrMonroe
Multimodder

MrMonroe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can always count on bit-tech for condescending remarks about people in my country. Thanks guys.

Oh, BTW, << an American who knows how ridiculous our electoral system is and has been saying so for years. Snide remarks from outsiders helps people like GWB. Please try to remember that if you don't like the guy.
MrMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2008, 16:47   #9
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
everyone knew there where errors in those machines
always stick to a hard copy when doing something important
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2008, 17:14   #10
AcidJiles
Supermodder

AcidJiles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
erm so Robin williams movie was right?
AcidJiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2008, 17:27   #11
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentai
Shaved chimp? I thought that was the average American... :P
No, though we're headed that way. But then again, so is most of the world.

Trolling aside, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're trying to overextend their perceived incompetence to cover up something more sinister. As it's closed source, we have no way of knowing what is or isn't accurate; all we know is that they've long since proven that we can't trust them.
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2008, 23:56   #12
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
How do you F-up something as simple as a program that counts votes entered? What did they do, have circus monkeys do the programming? Conspiracy theories shall abound on this one.

Fox Mulder: "Trust no(t) one" politician.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Antec 850W TruePower Quattro - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote