1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Motion-based power due 2009

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

a Chinese solar charger which has an in-built lithium-ion battery and a USB socket.

dude, tell me more about this gizmo, it soudns wikid!

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's this. Really useful, if a trifle dear for what it is. The solar cells charge up the internal battery, which then discharges into your device when you connect the special iclething-to-USB cable. Can charge my palmtop fully from dead, too.

There are other, similar devices available on that site too.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

that motion charging is a good idea in theory. but just like solar panel charging, it won't catch on. extra battery pack still works better than sitting in the sun for 2 hours or walking 3 miles and discovering your important phone call still have to be cut short because the motion charging is not as effective as it should be.

motion generated electric train sensor or a low voltage device designed to use that motion generated low voltage supply is a good idea. charging a 5v 500amp device is not.

or this for solar charger

5. TRG

TRG What's a Dremel?

There are MUCH more effective devices than this one. One in particular can charge an average cellphone for 6 hours from just 30 minutes of walking. it is a big brace attached to the user's knees.

6. iggy

iggy Minimodder

attach them to cows and sheep.

7. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I just recently purchased a watch made by Fossil that is charged by movement. It's pretty slick. If it goes completely dead, just wind it a couple of turns to the right, set the time and put it back on. The only time mine has gone dead is over a slow weekend where I stayed in mostly and didn't wear it. I think in the long run that the tech behind this will get better and we will see much cooler applications of it.

Tags: Add Tags