bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Aug 2008, 12:58   #1
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Latest WGA deletes wallpaper

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/08...es-wallpaper/1

The latest revision of the anti-piracy 'user education' tool Windows Genuine Advantage will remove your desktop wallpaper if it believes your copy is pirated.

Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2008, 13:01   #2
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
As if any pirate will care about backgrounds and 'text" appearing in some corner. they know they have a copy.
As if any legit user will care about the "your windows is genuine" msg when doing a ms driver upgrade.
As if anybody cares if you have a honest or pirated windows.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2008, 13:05   #3
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
It's true though - it seems to be all stick and no carrot when it comes to getting people to shell out a fortune for an OS...
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2008, 13:06   #4
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badders View Post
It's true though - it seems to be all stick and no carrot when it comes to getting people to shell out a fortune for an OS...
A fortune is relative... People don't bother dishing out €350 for JUST a GFX card, but when it comes to one of the key components, the OS, then every € is one too much...
Old 28th Aug 2008, 13:26   #5
Silver51
I cast flare!

Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
60 OEM.

I'd rather build my system with a trustworthy OS version rather than struggle with a dodgy pirate version.
Silver51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2008, 13:30   #6
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
that's just plain irritating! hehe! have M$ dropped the price of XP with the advent of Vista? I'm planning on a new PC soon, a basic media pc, and was wondering if the ol' XP dog was a cheaper option
Old 28th Aug 2008, 13:41   #7
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver51
£60 OEM.

I'd rather build my system with a trustworthy OS version rather than struggle with a dodgy pirate version.
I know, that's what I paid for it - to me, that's a fortune, no matter what you spend it on.
Old 28th Aug 2008, 13:46   #8
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
I know, that's what I paid for it - to me, that's a fortune, no matter what you spend it on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badders' SIGNATURE
CPU: Q6600 G0 @ 3GHz | COOLER: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | GPU: Asus EN8800GT 512Mb @ 700/1750/2000 | M/B: Asus P5K (No Line in passthrough - If anyone knows how to fix, PM me!) | PSU: Corsair VX550 | HDD: Seagate 7200.10 300Gb SATA | DVD: Optiarc 7170 IDE | My Image & file Hosting Site (no Bandwidth Limits or waits) - http://www.file-city.co.uk | My Blog
Yeah, with a quad core and a 8800GT it does seem you don't have a lot to spend on your PC, and certainly not on key components like for instance an OS
Old 28th Aug 2008, 13:52   #9
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I paid 96 for my copy of Ultimate, OEM, and while it's well over what I want to pay for it, it's not a fat lot more expensive than XP was/is (73 (OOS) on Ingram Micro), or even Leopard (85).

I don't ever recall them being 'cheap', and when people are spending hundreds on a homebuild (I've yet to see a prebuild come without a license), it's hardly unfair to ask them to pay for the software that they're going to use day in, day out for the next few years.

Complaining about the cost, even though it seems pretty damn extortionate, isn't going to change anything. If it's that much of a bind, get a copy of Linux, they're nearly all free.

Admittedly, Windows does a very bad job of being 'nice' to users, but hey, that software is pretty much the base of everything we do. Not like we can change that too easily.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2008, 13:57   #10
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
Yeah, with a quad core and a 8800GT it does seem you don't have a lot to spend on your PC, and certainly not on key components like for instance an OS
No Not really.

My PC was for christmas.

Ninja Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal View Post
Admittedly, Windows does a very bad job of being 'nice' to users, but hey, that software is pretty much the base of everything we do. Not like we can change that too easily.
This is more like what the point of my first post was - all stick, no carrot.
There's no "Advantage" to having a genuine copy of windows, we just don't get crippled like the detected pirated versions.

They should probaby have called it "WCD" - Windows Counterfeit Disadvantage

Last edited by badders; 28th Aug 2008 at 14:04.
Old 28th Aug 2008, 14:02   #11
Glider
/dev/null

Well, if you don't get an OS you end up with a pretty expensive door stopper... Maybe you should have asked Santa for a bit less excessive CPU, and an OS to actually use your system.

I just love it how people prioritise hardware over software, while software is actually more important than hardware... Bleeding edge hardware without software is useless, software without bleeding edge hardware still works, just a bit slower...
Old 28th Aug 2008, 14:08   #12
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver51 View Post
So, what flavour of Linux are you using?
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2008, 14:09   #13
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

I did buy my OS, but it doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.
It's exactly the same as buying petrol at the price it is, I have to pay it, but I don't have to be happy about it.
Old 28th Aug 2008, 14:14   #14
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have 4 comps, 3 with XP and one with Vista and ive never seen this WGA O_o ?
Old 28th Aug 2008, 14:15   #15
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMaltor View Post
I have 4 comps, 3 with XP and one with Vista and ive never seen this WGA O_o ?
I've never seen it getting in my face, I assume it has itself a mug or two of 'sit the **** down and shut the **** up' within legal copies.
Old 28th Aug 2008, 14:17   #16
Glider
/dev/null

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
So, what flavour of Linux are you using?
Gentoo
Quote:
I did buy my OS, but it doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.
It's exactly the same as buying petrol at the price it is, I have to pay it, but I don't have to be happy about it.
That's exactly my point... You are perfectly happy to dish out for a quad core and gaming GPU, yet you complain when you have to pay for an other core component, the OS (which probably costs even less...)? To me that's flawed reasoning... That makes about everything too expensive...

And in case you didn't know, if you hate MS so much, or dislike their practices, vote with your wallet... There are (free) alternative OSs... But live with the consequences of your choices. IMHO you should either STFU and pay the price, or do something about it and deal with the consequences. But that is most peoples problem, they whine and whine, yet they take the easy way out... But that's an other discussion I guess...
Old 28th Aug 2008, 14:30   #17
scarrmrcc
Modder

scarrmrcc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
look at it this way, apple OS's are cheaper, but you get a new every year.
Windows costs more, but they update it all the time for free.

essentially you are getting a deal with windows.
scarrmrcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2008, 14:52   #18
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
am i the only one getting Vista (bith 32bit and 64bit) for free?
Old 28th Aug 2008, 14:54   #19
liratheal
Sharing is caring

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu View Post
am i the only one getting Vista (bith 32bit and 64bit) for free?
I bet you're getting it through Uni, yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarrmrcc View Post
look at it this way, apple OS's are cheaper, but you get a new every year.
Windows costs more, but they update it all the time for free.

essentially you are getting a deal with windows.
Apple OS's are barely cheaper, though, there aren't any annoying license codes to put in, which is nice.
Old 28th Aug 2008, 15:31   #20
OleJ
Me!

OleJ has yet to learn the way of the DremelOleJ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
lol so in essence pirates get the better looking and performing Vista experience. Hahahaha!