bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Sep 2008, 09:00   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Mythbusters RFID episode banned

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/09...isode-banned/1

Comments by Adam Savage at a conference tell the tale of a planned RFID-busting episode which was cancelled following legal leanings from credit card companies.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 09:51   #2
kennethsross
Multimodder

kennethsross has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The way I see it, the guys who will exploit these vulnerabilities probably already know about it, and how to do it.

Showing this would not be a case of educating criminals, but informing potential victims
kennethsross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 10:05   #3
outlawaol
Geeked since 1982

outlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysis
Pheshh... Heck yea they should air that, if these corporations know about the vulnerabilities then clearly it isnt ready for mainstream use. Dosnt mean that counterfeiters, scammers and credit card fraud dont exist, but obviously this needs to be looked at twice. Heck, if a silly show cant air its feeble attempts at hacking and cracking it, its not worthy of use!

Stupid corporate america, being irresponsible, again....
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 10:16   #4
Arkanrais
Supermodder

Arkanrais has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I say, the myth busters should show some amateurs how to do a show about it and direct the whole thing, then spread it over the interblags and let the Streisand effect take hold.
Arkanrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 10:19   #5
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
If anyone's interested, the conference was TheLastHope.

Did anyone watch the entire thing btw? The pizza clay oven woman was crazy...
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 10:45   #6
Darkedge
Supermodder

Darkedge has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think it was probably dropped as it would be VERY BORING.
Darkedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 11:28   #7
identikit
Ultramodder

identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I did a lot of research into card systems such as charliecards and oysters an absolute age ago. All the information you need is out there, a little smart engineering later and you've got what you want. I don't get why people need to be told how to do this and why the people doing the telling need to be gagged.
Lemonade Magazine | Folding @ Home | CPC & Bit-tech folding stats (team #35947)
identikit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 13:41   #8
Bluephoenix
Spoon? What spoon?

Bluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for president
hacking RFID systems is one of the easiest things in the world to do, all you need is a trip to your local electronics parts store, or if you're into miniaturization, then you might have to etch a circuit board or two.

after the appropriate device has been buitl the operation is pretty much automated.

one of the most vulnerable systems is actually exxon's speedpass system, because it doesn't contain system-unique info, but the actual credit-card info......
Bluephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 20:22   #9
ZERO <ibis>
Supermodder

ZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the DremelZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It needs to be run so that people can see how this technology works and the security risks involved. Not running a show with information like this should be a crime. It is informing the public of already known and highly documented facts. What is the difference between this and investigative journalism?
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 21:01   #10
NeMoD
What's a Dremel?

NeMoD has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
the whole video is here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...61638951440862
NeMoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 21:26   #11
tranc3
ADHD Modder

tranc3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltranc3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Eh wouldn't this follow under freedom of the press/speech? so much for that.
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 22:39   #12
gpw111
Multimodder

gpw111 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
yeah its ridiculous that they can't show it. and it sounds like a bit of a cover up story on the part of the credit card companies.
gpw111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 22:39   #13
Burdman27911
Modder

Burdman27911 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks for the video, that was actually a pretty interesting watch.
Burdman27911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 23:04   #14
Neogumbercules
Mod Master

Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Eh wouldn't this follow under freedom of the press/speech? so much for that.

No, it wouldn't. The network decides whether or not they want to air something. If legal pressure from the credit card companies forced them to back down, then that was their choice. It's not worth a legal battle just to make one TV episode. However, they could have aired the episode. No one was actually stopping them.
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 23:20   #15
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
time index dead on play from 45 mins is about the RFID got banned bit

watched the all it very good shame about the banned part (guess every one knows now Not to ring the bank up now)
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2008, 00:19   #16
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The companies using RFID need to Step-TFU and admit that there is a problem with the technology. While pretty much any security tech seems to be hackable these days, broadcasting/transmitting transaction information via RF is just asking for trouble. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are practical applications for the technology, but how lazy have we gotten? Is it so taxing to swipe a magnetic strip in a machine? Let me just wave near it instead... ah... much easier.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Antec 850W TruePower Quattro - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2008, 06:16   #17
sunsue
What's a Dremel?

sunsue has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
[QUOTE=CardJoe;1816238]http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/09...isode-banned/1

Comments by Adam Savage at a conference tell the tale of a planned RFID-busting episode which was cancelled following legal leanings from credit card companies.

:duh-Gee Whiz - No **** Dick Tracy. With identy theft on the rise and credit card debt on the rise, don't you think people would be interested in this episode of Mythbusters?
sunsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2009, 18:36   #18
defacedlawngnome
What's a Dremel?

defacedlawngnome has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
For anyone interested in further educating themselves on the vulnerabilities and future of RFID in our every day lives, I highly recommend reading Spychips by Katherine Albrecht > http://www.amazon.com/Spychips-Major...3122575&sr=8-1
defacedlawngnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2009, 18:55   #19
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
ratings
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 19:18   #20
DianaK
What's a Dremel?

DianaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Too bad this episode never aired. More information on the vulnerabilities and RFID Blocking Wallets and Passport Cases to protect against these vulnerabilities at www.difrwear.com.
DianaK is offline   Reply With Quote