bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Sep 2008, 10:12   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Google launches Chrome browser

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/09...rome-browser/1

Google has taken the next logical step in its plans to conquer the Internet, with the beta launch of an open-source standards-compliant browser dubbed Chrome.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 10:18   #2
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
google: we need more configuration options!

(i understand it's beta, but still, currently it's just a faster IE7 with better search functionalities, and feels clean and cleap)
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 10:18   #3
spoon.uk
Frag Me Bitch!

spoon.uk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Deffo will try that and see how it compares to FF3/IE6/Safari
spoon.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 10:32   #4
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
Played around with it earlier today and what I immediately noticed on pretty much every site I visited was the damn thing's speed. An incredibly fast browser.

I especially noticed it on pages that used stuff like JavaScript/AJAX to pull content on the fly, was almost instant.

But to echo wuyanxu's comments, it does need more customisation and add-ons for me to replace Firefox3.
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 10:46   #5
ParaHelix.org
Supermodder

ParaHelix.org has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good Google sirs, I declaire that FireFox shall always rule!
ParaHelix.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 10:48   #6
MajorTom
Multimodder

MajorTom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Have also been playing with this since this morning. it's johnny on the spot with launching, and browsing is very quick too. As has been said it needs more config options and several pages won't render properly. That said it's a Beta version that has only been out since late last night.

I think the base for this product is fantastic and with the community behind it testing the pants off it and submitting bug reports and page load errors with great ease, I think this can be a hit browser in a few months.

It's not functional enough to replace your main browser yet so FF is still the main choice for the enthusiast. But given time to iron out the flaws (as is the point at the mo) this should be something good.
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 11:15   #7
Naberius
Multimodder

Naberius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It is pretty damn good, but as pretty much everyone has already said, it does need more config options.
Naberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 11:42   #8
will.
A motorbike of jealousy!

will. has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwill. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I like it. Not for heavy use, but perhaps a good browser for on my media PC.

It seems to render everything absolutely fine too which makes my life easier.

I think from now on, ie6 is just going to have to be forgotten.

Check out my Last.FM & iToggle & Nav-o-Matic jQuery plugins.
will. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 11:46   #9
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I really like it. It is ninja fast. I love some of the new ideas Chrome encapsulates - sandboxing, tabs as separate processes, V8, the "omnibar", the smart homepage thing.

Hopefully with both this and FF being open source, we'll see some quick cross-migration of features between the two.
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 11:54   #10
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
Thoughts:
- Google Analytics doesn't work with Chrome (*smack - ouch*)
- it uses some of the IE config boxes (look at the proxy config section)
- i believe that DNS prefetching being default-enabled will not make it feasible for large corporates (that and the lack of controlling it via tools like AD).
- Java is like a cest pool of bad security and it's inherently slow... they might have it all buckled up, but then, what happens to the speed and the security once plugins arrive?
- I firmly believe that this browser is not meant to conquer the PC market... being written in JAVA, i have the suspicion that the minimalist look, the lack of Aero integration, etc point towards (you guessed it) ANDROID (google open source phone platform)...

The speed of fetching AJAX data is impressive, but i SWEAR it's prefetching doing that... clever algorythms that prefetch content (most AJAX is really just urls that are stored somewhere on the source page and then requested, meaning that with clever parsing, you could quite possibly get those urls and load them up already while the user is still checking out how to navigate)...e.g. it's no faster when i do an AJAX post to this forum, as it's reliant on my input.

Last edited by BentAnat; 3rd Sep 2008 at 11:55. Reason: Elaborate
BentAnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 11:57   #11
BurningFeetMan
Multimodder

BurningFeetMan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm using chrome now at home and work. I love it. Note, I did have troubles on my work machine because we've got Norton installed. But after disabling Norton and uninstalling some application user end side of it, Chrome installed and ran just fine. Also, you may encounter "Error 4" when uninstalling and reinstalling it due to the Norton Antivirus hurdle. To fix this, simple delete the "chrome" folder from c:\ blah blah user\application data\google\chrome. I can't remember where it is exactly, but if you ferret around in those application hidden folders, there's a google\chrome one there. Delete it. Reinstall. Love it.
BurningFeetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 12:54   #12
r4tch3t
hmmmm....

r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Just got it now, does seem faster, have noticed some different rendering on a couple of sites, looks "fuzzy"
One big thing I dislike is that the Ctrl scroll to increase the size of the text doesn't so it like FF3 does, with FF3 I have the bit home page enlarged so it's easier to read and takes the full width of my monitor.
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 12:56   #13
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
actually, though - the CTRL-Scroll should work like that though, according to the way it works in most MS apps...
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 13:14   #14
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Compared to IE8, its about the same web browser. The speed is very similar to Opera.
I prefer a web browser a tad slower and enjoy more functionality (there is not even a bookmark organizer!). And no add-ons or plug-ins! AT least Opera had a Mozilla plug-in emulator system when it was released.

Firefox for me, thank you.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 13:22   #15
ozstrike
yip yip yip yip

ozstrike has yet to learn the way of the Dremelozstrike has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's fast. Very fast. I love webkit.
Needs a few more configuration options, but I might start using it more. Does it have mouse gestures? I forgot to check on my PC.
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 13:27   #16
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
I don't like the way it installs in the user profile instead of in Program files - I couldn't see an option on where to install it.
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 13:54   #17
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badders View Post
I don't like the way it installs in the user profile instead of in Program files - I couldn't see an option on where to install it.
unlike Firefox, where user permission is required to install. Chrome can install on any machine with any user permission. that's a huge selling point for large company or university computers.
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 14:12   #18
Buzzons
Mod Master

Buzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
It's plainly better than IE, FF and Opera for my purposes. Sadly, I won't be using it, because of the terms and conditions that come with it:

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content, you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

To clarify: 'Services' includes Chrome (see 1.1), and 'Content' includes 'data files, written text, computer software, music, audio files or other sounds, photographs, videos or other images' (see 8.1).

In other words, any data you use in conjunction with Chrome, and which you hold the copyright in, they are automatically given a licence to use as they please, including copying it and distributing it, provided it falls within the ambit of 'promoting the Services'.
Buzzons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 14:22   #19
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzons
It's plainly better than IE, FF and Opera for my purposes. Sadly, I won't be using it, because of the terms and conditions that come with it:

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content, you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

To clarify: 'Services' includes Chrome (see 1.1), and 'Content' includes 'data files, written text, computer software, music, audio files or other sounds, photographs, videos or other images' (see 8.1).

In other words, any data you use in conjunction with Chrome, and which you hold the copyright in, they are automatically given a licence to use as they please, including copying it and distributing it, provided it falls within the ambit of 'promoting the Services'.
And that's a problem because...?
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 14:31   #20
kingred
Surfacing sucks!

kingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
guys theres an important issue with the eula,

http://tapthehive.com/discuss/This_P...e_s_EULA_Sucks

Quote:
>11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.

>11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.
they own everything you post, no thankyou.
kingred is offline   Reply With Quote