bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 11th Sep 2008, 12:57   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
T9 creator unveils gesture-based input

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/09...-based-input/1

Cliff Kushler, inventor of the T9 predictive text entry system for mobile 'phones, has unveiled a new system for touch screen devices, based on swiping gestures.

CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2008, 13:09   #2
cjoyce1980
Supermodder

cjoyce1980 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
T9 is great for me.... i can remember bashing away at the buttons on my old nokia 3310, when you actual had to type every letter. lol! those were the days
cjoyce1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2008, 13:34   #3
Leitchy
Supermodder

Leitchy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Cant stand the T9 system, its the first thing I turn off when I get a new phone. Im faster just typing the word in anyways
Leitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2008, 13:36   #4
Notional
Minimodder

Notional is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Notional is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Notional is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Notional is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Notional is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Notional is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Notional is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Notional is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Notional is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Notional is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Notional is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Really? My 3310 had T9 dictionary. The older 3210 also had ( I think that was the first one to have T9 actually). My old Ericsson didn't though.

But maybe this will make onscreen texting easier, which would be pretty cool.
Old 11th Sep 2008, 13:49   #5
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
T9 sucks, it always manages to present me the totaly wrong words. If it would be a 'mind reader' plugin then that would have been amazing
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2008, 14:07   #6
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm a fan of T9, but not on my LG KF600 - horrible, horrible phone.
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2008, 14:36   #7
Sebbo
Multimodder

Sebbo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i like the T9 system, is very easy for me, and you just hit the * key a couple of times to get to the word you want. granted, some phones do this poorly, eg. my old phone if you changed the combination halfway through typing a word it had no effect, my n91 smartly keeps the combination i've selected and continues matching from there. also, being able to add words to the dictionary is great too.
Swype looks interesting and clever, its a good idea imo, though final judgement will wait till i have a chance to play with it
Intel Core i7 920, ASUS P6T Deluxe, 12GB Corsair Dominator PC-12800, Sapphire HD7970, Crucial m300 120GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Samsung Spinpoint 1TB, Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Logitech G510 and G9, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers, Dell U2713HM 27" and 2408WFP 24" monitors
Sebbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2008, 14:57   #8
Whalemeister
is so hot right now!

Whalemeister has yet to learn the way of the DremelWhalemeister has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I really don't understand how people don't get on with T9, I think they are just resistant to change and stuck in their ways.

It took me about a day to get used to it about 7 years ago using my ancient nokia 3310 and I've never looked back
Old 11th Sep 2008, 15:25   #9
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have my very own "Doug-speak" for sending text messages, T9 couldn't work it out, I doubt Swyck will...

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2008, 16:01   #10
Joeymac
Multimodder

Joeymac has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm sure I saw a thing on this years ago. Maybe he's been working on it for a long time...

Nope this T9 bloke just stole it and it's at least 2-3 years old.. it's called shapewriter. http://www.almaden.ibm.com/u/zhai/sh...r_research.htm IBM thing from the look of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtlyuuYmFN0.
And it's on Android already. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBOyGp25sSg

Is this the same thing but rebranded? Googling doesn't seem to come up with any clues.
Joeymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2008, 16:33   #11
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Sounds good. I'd be interested to see this working.

And unlike T9, it should be easy to switch between Swype and tapping out a word on the fly. There would be no need to press a button to cycle ABC/Abc/abc/123/T9 like on some phones. Instead, you just swype away and, when you need to type e.g. an URL, just tap it out.
Old 11th Sep 2008, 16:50   #12
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitchy View Post
Cant stand the T9 system, its the first thing I turn off when I get a new phone. Im faster just typing the word in anyways
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2008, 17:02   #13
War-Rasta
Supermodder

War-Rasta has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
T9 sucks. I don't want my phone to tell me what I need to say, I tell my phone what I want to say! It never gets the right words and I always ended up frustrated with the thing. I always turn it off as soon as I get a new phone. What I don't get is people can like it. It's waaaaay too inconvenient.
Old 11th Sep 2008, 17:14   #14
theevilelephant
Ultramodder

theevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysis
If it actually could predict what i wanted to say? fine i'll have it, t9 is usually way off for me so I don't bother with it.
Old 11th Sep 2008, 17:41   #15
Atomic
Gerwaff

Atomic - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youAtomic - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youAtomic - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youAtomic - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youAtomic - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youAtomic - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youAtomic - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youAtomic - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youAtomic - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youAtomic - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youAtomic - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
The T9 on my C902 is awesome, it predicts words pretty much spot on. It guessed them based on how Ive typed them before and on what the word preceding that im typing is.

Gesture based seems interesting.
Atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2008, 23:45   #16
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
I've never understood people who are against T9 - I find most of the time it's perfectly fine. But then, I choose to speak ENGLISH in my text messages, and not the cursed TXTSPK that is turning a generation into illiterate cretins
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2008, 23:50   #17
ElThomsono
Mod Master

ElThomsono has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
T9's pretty good, but there have been some failures to it that you don't always notice; last week I invited people round to play roles

(poker)

That and you have to spend the first month of a new phone programming in profanities.
Old 17th Sep 2008, 06:20   #18
Spaceraver
Ultramodder

Spaceraver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
T9 works a charm.
But then again.
If you can't spell T9 is a curse.
I'll want this for my Diamond if it becomes available. Touch wins. Unless you are trying to text while driving. No tactile feedback.
Spaceraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2008, 12:09   #19
Donny
What's a Dremel?

Donny has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well, at the moment there are no downloads, while there is a keyboard called SlideIT working on the same idea and free demos can be downloaded at:

http://dasur.co.il/Download.php

I just tried it! Truly innovative text input method!
Donny is offline   Reply With Quote