bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Sep 2008, 13:54   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Give Me Back My Sandbox

http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2008...k-my-sandbox/1

Guest columnist Cliff Harris is upset this week, lamenting the decline of truly free-form, sandbox gaming on the PC. When did real sandbox games like Sim City become unfashionable and get replaced with linear FPS games? Why won't someone give us back our sand?

Old 16th Sep 2008, 14:13   #2
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I fully agree, I'm surprised Spore wasnt mentioned though as it basically promised to be one huge sandox with lots of freedom of choice but didnt really end up that way.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2008, 14:17   #3
gmarappledude2
What's a Dremel?

gmarappledude2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I am even more suprised Second Life wasn't mentioned. 99.9% of the content is player created content. When you play second life you can do almost anything, build stuff, open a shop, sit at home watching movies (thats a little sad though), get a job, roam around, meet people, attend concerts, etc... I don't think there are any experiences closer to a sandbox than this, Real Life excluded of course.
gmarappledude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2008, 14:37   #4
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
What you need is Ultima Online... the great grand daddy of MMO!! It's still rolling you know! Just play Pangaea-world!True roleplay (not that pseudo stuff on WoW). You shall feel fulfilled!
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2008, 14:40   #5
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The problem I see with 2nd life is that it is too much like real life. When everything you do is on the same scale as IRL, what's the point? At least with sim city it takes it to a more macro scale. TBH I quite like my story driven linear games, though I do wish there were more variety, especially in the MMO sector, please reward exploration. I love exploring MMO worlds, but they don't make it easy at lower levels =/
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2008, 14:49   #6
AlexB
Web Nerd and WC Addict

AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.
There are loads of sandbox games.. have people gone mad?
Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen. That's the last sensation I had before I blacked out; that thick smell of asphalt. She said she'd fix my bike. Free. No strings attached. I shoulda've known then that things were never that simple. Yeah, when I think of Maureen, I think of two things: Asphalt, and trouble.
1: Intel I7 2600k, ASUS P67 Pro, 16gb Corsair, AMD 7970 (3gb), Corsair 256gb SSD
2: Intel I7 2600k, ASUS P67 Pro, 16gb Corsair, Nvidia 680GTX (4gb)
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2008, 14:58   #7
E-Jungle
What's a Dremel?

E-Jungle has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Takes me back to The Incredible Machine (affectionately called TIM) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Machine
Hours of gameplay just building machines, letting them run, changing them and move on when you had enough of that machine.
I do remember some missions/scoring system but basically you could build everything you want and experiment all you wanted
Played hours and hours of SimCity as well, and loved it. Been playing a lot of classics lately because the newer games could not fulfill my gaming needs (they do look pretty).
E-Jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2008, 15:02   #8
EnglishLion
working for the good of mankind...

EnglishLion has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I personally like the GTA style of gameplay. Feel free to roam and explore, missions if you like (although they fit a storyline it's not entirely linear). Then you've got all the additional things to do / collect etc - if you like.

Latest: Review: Microsoft Arc Wireless Mini Keyboard
Also: Review: ASUS M4A785D-M Pro uATX motherboard
Most Popular: Review: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H Motherboard
EnglishLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2008, 15:14   #9
Lex
What's a Dremel?

Lex has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The best column in a long time. Was a pleasure to read and pretty much opened my eyes (even more). Maybe I'll uninstall wow after this.

More like these, fight the powah!
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2008, 15:24   #10
OnyxLilninja
Multimodder

OnyxLilninja has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
good column I agree

Good mention of EvE Online, I think thats getting towards the dream of the sandbox game that I had imagined playing Frontier Elite II on my Amiga.
Old 16th Sep 2008, 15:30   #11
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
EVE Online is pretty damn freeform IMO. The missions in EVE are only a very tiny optional part of the game, if you want to run missions, then that's great, you can run them, but unlike a lot of MMOs they aren't the main event at all.

PotBS is similar, but it does have a bigger focus on quests, they are a significant part of the game, but you can play through it as there is plenty of other stuff to do besides running quests.

Puzzle Pirates is pretty sandboxy, was one of the best MMOs IMO until the economy was screwed up.

TBH I get bored without any direction a lot of the time, most sandbox games just aren't well designed enough to keep me occupied in them for long enough. Although something like X3 or Morrowind I can get completely entralled in. I still haven't completed the main quest for Morrowind or Oblivion yet, I keep getting distracted with something, and even though it's very quest based I think they're usually quite clever quests and it's a pretty sandboxy game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2008, 15:34   #12
Silver51
I cast flare!

Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
...For me, (and I do realise I'm alone here) the worst outcome of all this is quests in MMO games. It's pretty much why I don't play them any more. The promise and premise of an MMO is awesome, but often the reality is nothing more than a tedious level grind with neatly packaged quests....
Pretty much sums up how I've felt about MMO's for some time.

Stats grinding creates an impossible (moving) goal which only serves to keep players paying to go up one more level. "Just one more level, then I'll go to bed."

I'd like to see sandbox to make it's way into other genres though. Abandoning the corridor shooter and end of level boss staples that have been around since forever.
Silver51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2008, 15:36   #13
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
I agree to some extent, but i must say that without incentives of some kind (highscores, titles, ingame rewards, or simply fame) i am quickly overcome with a feeling of pointlessness.

And not to be a grand total PITA, but on your website:
[quote=aveyon page]
30+ Hours of gameplay, 60+ quests!
[/quit]It's the first thing on the page too, kinda contradictory to the point you are getting across. I will be sure to check it out though, i'm a geek for these games
Old 16th Sep 2008, 15:57   #14
drakanious
Minimodder

drakanious has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Garry's Mod cheesecake!
drakanious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2008, 16:32   #15
Narishma
Multimodder

Narishma has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oblivion? GTA? Hello? There are Sandbox games around if you bother to look. Maybe what he wants is another SimCity.
Narishma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2008, 17:12   #16
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakanious View Post
Garry's Mod cheesecake!
+1
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2008, 17:13   #17
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
Author has touched upon a deeper problem in society in general, where people are too afraid to break out of the molds society has created to control them.

As far as gaming, games like X-Com and EVE are the best of the art. X-Com told a story but let you decide how to win a great war against aliens. EVE is a graduate level Way of Life (hesitate to call it a game, since it requires a great deal of intelligence and perseverance to succeed in) that rewards people who cooperate.
The great games of the past were the ones that allowed you to express yourself rather than force you to express yourself the way the devs think is best.

Enjoy

Yours in Breaking out Plasma,
Star*Dagger
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2008, 17:14   #18
cliffski
Game Designer

cliffski has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Actually I should have mentioned this company:
http://www.pocketwatchgames.com/
He does very decent sandbox games, worth a look.
Old 16th Sep 2008, 17:20   #19
MrMonroe
Multimodder

MrMonroe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You're right, Space Invaders didn't have X hours of gameplay, it had X minutes of gameplay repeated an infinite number of times with different colors.

Not sure why you chose that one, but snarkiness aside, I agreed fully with the general point of the article.
MrMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2008, 18:06   #20
capnPedro
Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFA
Well done! You moved the mouse! Have 6,000 platinum points!.

Yes, you finished the game, but to meet the marketing departments quota, we would like you to do the whole game on one leg, to get the special 'peg leg' achievement.
I lolled, but I'm still an achievement whore.

I <3 Aquatuning & Enermax long time!
capnPedro is offline   Reply With Quote