bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 17th Sep 2008, 12:50   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
id: Rage being held back by Xbox 360

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/09...-by-xbox-360/1

id's Tom Willits has commented that the storage capacity of the Xbox 360 is holding back id's Rage.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2008, 12:54   #2
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Enter flame war, stage left!

Eh, so long as it doesn't become vapourware, then all should be good.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2008, 13:03   #3
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
iD should have never started coding for inferior platforms, then they wouldnt have these problems.

Only the preternatural genius of Carmack and his desire for gaming excellence will save this game.

S*D
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2008, 13:03   #4
cjoyce1980
Supermodder

cjoyce1980 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
why don't id do then same as EA did with burnout paradise on the 360.... just make a hard disc mandortory in order to play the game

simple really and those that don't have a 360 HDD, most likely don't play alot of hard core games anyway
cjoyce1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2008, 13:08   #5
Neoki
Hypermodder

Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
FLAMING TIME
being an owner of both the 360 and ps3 why dont micro$oft just include something like HD-DVD as a gaming format. That would surely bring it back.
My Main Rig:|AMD 64 FX60 @ Stock|DFI LanParty SLI-DR | PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI EXTREME |2 GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer | 8800GTS | X-Fi Titanium Fatality®™ | Logitech® Z-5500 5.1|Hitachi 250GB x 3, 400GB, 160Gb, 120GB, SATA|Pioneer DVD-Rewriter Drive Black x 2 |
Neoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2008, 13:19   #6
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoki View Post
FLAMING TIME
being an owner of both the 360 and ps3 why dont micro$oft just include something like HD-DVD as a gaming format. That would surely bring it back.
Way too late for that now. They won't include a higher capacity disk drive at this point of the consoles life - It's not as simple to deal with as not including a hard drive, and would alienate every single 360 owner to date - Even MS are not that stupid.

I expect there will be something better for the next Xbox, could well be Blu-ray, given that it's pretty much the only viable high-capacity disk at the moment.
Old 17th Sep 2008, 13:30   #7
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
make hard drives mandatory, problem solved.

edit: and microsoft should release a DIY kit for any user to fit a custom hard drive.
Old 17th Sep 2008, 13:42   #8
Goty
Supermodder

Goty has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Another solution to this problem would be to make the game more than two discs on the 360 and just charge the owners more for that version of the game. They paid less for the console, so they should be able to afford a bit more for each game to make up for the fact that Microsoft wasn't being particularly forward-thinking when designing the 360. Why punish others?
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2008, 13:58   #9
liratheal
Sharing is caring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
Another solution to this problem would be to make the game more than two discs on the 360 and just charge the owners more for that version of the game. They paid less for the console, so they should be able to afford a bit more for each game to make up for the fact that Microsoft wasn't being particularly forward-thinking when designing the 360. Why punish others?
Charging more based on which console it's on is a super-stupid move. They'd earn more hate from the users than for just delaying it.

Not to mention that cheaper consoles are often bought by people with less money. Trying to screw them because Microsoft screwed up does NOT make good business sense, it's more likely to get you shot than Microsoft.
Old 17th Sep 2008, 14:02   #10
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

shigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysis
actuall production cost of games in so minimal anyway it wouldnt matter of the £40 you pay for a game at most like £3 most only go to making the actual disc and case you take home. with blu ray being so new it cant be the same price to produce a dvd. dvds have to be far cheaper to make i cant see it being fair to charge more

it was a huge slip by MS to still be using DVD's
Old 17th Sep 2008, 14:18   #11
smilinrat
What's a Dremel?

smilinrat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd prefer that they only gimped the 360 version. Leave it as is for my beloved PC.
smilinrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2008, 14:56   #12
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Just strip down the x360 version and show all the glory on the pc version, that will teach console morons for leaving the PC as the ultimate game platform. Yes I really hate "PC wannabe" consoles, except the Atari's of the good old days...
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2008, 15:57   #13
paulwebber
What's a Dremel?

paulwebber has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal View Post
Charging more based on which console it's on is a super-stupid move. They'd earn more hate from the users than for just delaying it.

Not to mention that cheaper consoles are often bought by people with less money. Trying to screw them because Microsoft screwed up does NOT make good business sense, it's more likely to get you shot than Microsoft.
to add to your point people buy the cheaper console because they cant afford the more expensive ones!! no they do not have more money left over for the games!! they dont have the same amount of money to start with!!!
paulwebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2008, 16:30   #14
mikeuk2004
What you Looking at Fool!

mikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoki View Post
FLAMING TIME
Because add-ons have failed int he past and i dont think ms could even make it work. For example the Mega CD, 32X and Jaguar CD.
Old 17th Sep 2008, 16:42   #15
esdubu
What's a Dremel?

esdubu has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Last time i checked PC games don't come on bluray discs or supermegahyperdef discs, they come on dvd's. The exact same kind of dvd's that 360 games come on. So i don't get where the problem is with the 360. Sure storage of the game on a PC is easy no matter how big it is but you've still got to get it home from the shop, unless they've decided that now all id games will come preinstalled on a hard drive.
esdubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2008, 16:45   #16
Narishma
Multimodder

Narishma has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why not link to a more recent and less blurry trailer?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38582.html
Narishma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2008, 17:13   #17
Lepermessiah
Banned

Lepermessiah has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This bothers me, why do Pc and PS3 suffer because of 360? This is why PC gamers despise console ports. Pc goes on Hard Drives, so space is never an issue for Pc to guy above.
Lepermessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2008, 17:14   #18
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Hmm, I'm not sure what I make of this. Cutting down is a problem for any game, but it fills two DVDs? How huge is this game going to be? I'm worried I'm going to need a new hard drive just to install this thing! And that's with JC's legendary compression technologies. You never know, maybe a bit of trimming will improve game play.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2008, 17:16   #19
Lepermessiah
Banned

Lepermessiah has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I am anti console and proud of it, they represent the lowest common denominator, and they way they operate trying to force exclusives so a large portion of gamers do not get to enjoy games or DLC (GTA 4), and how it is all about marketing and hype. Consoles suck and i don't care who disagrees. They hold Pc gaming back as devs port games over with no improvements, when the Pc could easily have them.
Lepermessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2008, 17:32   #20
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
woulda thought ID could force M$ to allow installation on the 360 .. if they dont then disc swapping shenanigans will force me to the ps3 or PC for these games.
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote