bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th Sep 2008, 07:40   #1
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Zalman ZMachine LQ1000

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...alman-lq1000/1

Today we take a look at the Zalman ZMachine LQ1000 , an ultra premium case with in-built water-cooling boasting high end performance, but with a high price to match. Does the LQ1000 float our boat, or is it just a wet weekend? We don the bit-tech scuba gear and find out!

Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2008, 07:50   #2
Ending Credits
Bunned

Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I saw this case a while back. 400 is quite a lot to pay but I guess you get a 200 case and a 200 WC setup.
Ending Credits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2008, 08:06   #3
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
For what you pay for it it better perform well lol. I would still rather an NZXT Kaos with a custom water loop.
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2008, 08:51   #4
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Why not included chipset and/or videocard into the loop. On my own WC rig its a pre running a 240 rad for chipset and cpu and a 120 rad on the vidcard (from aqua-computer). With the 120mm fans being noctua's and the pump a Eheim. Its absolutely silence. The 4 samsung HD's in my system make more noise.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2008, 08:51   #5
mrb_no1
Pie Eater

mrb_no1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
it doesnt cool the gpu, but then you might be able to add that later, although their pump might not push enough water through to cool both of them, hmmmmmmmmmm
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3600Mhz Asus Maximus II Formula ATI Radeon 4890 (1000Mhz Core + 1200Mhz Mem OC) 2x2G Corsair Dom. PC 8500 @ 1080Mhz Aquacomputer WC Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty 150G Raptor, 2x1500 + 1x750 + 2x500 Seagate (SATA2) Pioneer DVD burner Lian Li - PC 73SL Aluminium Silent Server Case Dell 2007WFP 20" Widescreen Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers Sennheiser HD270
mrb_no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2008, 09:17   #6
ChaosDefinesOrder
Vapourmodder

ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.
I'd be interested to see what the performance is like when a high powered graphics card is added to the loop - do you guys have a BFG GTX 280 WC knocking around at all?

Any chance of an addendum to include something like this?
ChaosDefinesOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2008, 09:26   #7
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb_no1
it doesnt cool the gpu, but then you might be able to add that later, although their pump might not push enough water through to cool both of them, hmmmmmmmmmm
The manual says that the loop will happily cope with cooling a graphics card too, and you get more than enough spare tubing to accommodate this. Sorry for not mentioning this in the review, although switching the GFX card would have made our GPU stress test results somewhat meaningless.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2008, 09:34   #8
mrb_no1
Pie Eater

mrb_no1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
oh nice to hear, thanks for adding that Baz, although it might have been nice to see how good the loop is with a 4800 or 280 as they are the biggest single card power draws so it would really test the loop and see of proficient it is at cooling. off for a run,

peace

fatman
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3600Mhz Asus Maximus II Formula ATI Radeon 4890 (1000Mhz Core + 1200Mhz Mem OC) 2x2G Corsair Dom. PC 8500 @ 1080Mhz Aquacomputer WC Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty 150G Raptor, 2x1500 + 1x750 + 2x500 Seagate (SATA2) Pioneer DVD burner Lian Li - PC 73SL Aluminium Silent Server Case Dell 2007WFP 20" Widescreen Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers Sennheiser HD270

Last edited by mrb_no1; 19th Sep 2008 at 09:36. Reason: addition
mrb_no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2008, 09:35   #9
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
The manual says that the loop will happily cope with cooling a graphics card too, and you get more than enough spare tubing to accommodate this. Sorry for not mentioning this in the review, although switching the GFX card would have made our GPU stress test results somewhat meaningless.
This is true, but then this case doesn't really directly compare to the other air-cooled cases that are tested in the same way.

BTW, I never grasped the scale of the Asus Silent square pro until my friend got one for his P4 setup the othe day - it fills the rest of the space in his case!
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2008, 10:18   #10
karx11erx
Multimodder

karx11erx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What's the point of using water cooling if you do not include at the least gfx card (and probably the HDs) in the cooling loop? If you want a silent system, that would be a must.
Old 19th Sep 2008, 11:51   #11
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
When can we expect the new Antec in the bt office?

In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2008, 12:18   #12
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
test bench +desk fan = done!

Seriously though, we've requested it, it shouldn't be too long.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2008, 13:19   #13
Goty
Supermodder

Goty has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I definitely wouldn't try adding a video card to that loop with the pump pushing less than a liter per hour through the loop. My absolute lower limit on flow in my loop is somewhere around 3 liters per hour. Add in the fact that most video card blocks are quite restrictive on top of the sheer heat load a video card would add into the loop and you'll see that it wouldn't be in your best interest to try adding a GPU waterblock.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2008, 14:30   #14
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The cooling performance is rather poor, 3C difference in cpu temp to the hyper osiris when idle and 4c under load, plus the gpu running hotter than a whole range of "normal" cases and that for 400£... sorry, but I'll have to call it a failure.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2008, 15:13   #15
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
The cooling performance is rather poor, 3C difference in cpu temp to the hyper osiris when idle and 4c under load, plus the gpu running hotter than a whole range of "normal" cases and that for 400£... sorry, but I'll have to call it a failure.
You're not taking into account noise difference which is massive between any aircooled case on high and this on low. Plus, with respectively less airflow through the case the passively cooler graphics card is bound to heat up. Zalman designs its products to be the right balance between noise and cooling, and this works very well to achieve this.
Old 19th Sep 2008, 15:28   #16
Broken Dwarf
o rly?

Broken Dwarf has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
There's one bit I don't really like : "four terabytes of storage (or soon more) – more than most will ever need.". Err... what?
Aparently we'll be all dead in 5 years if Moore's law is to be believed( on the basis that we won't "ever" need more than 4 TB of storage OR more than 4 drive bays.) You can't assume we won't use more than 4 drives. What about RAID 50 / 60? This is bananas!
Broken Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2008, 16:04   #17
Otto69
Supermodder

Otto69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Again Zalman uses the fin and tube style radiator. Why don't they use the more efficient automotive style radiator?

The thick aluminum is nice, but I'd rather have a better radiator and quieter fans.
Otto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2008, 17:56   #18
Boogle
Supermodder

Boogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run Crysis
To be honest, given the price I'd rather get a Koolance Lian Li case. Vastly superior cooling, for only a little more outlay. Plus the Lian Li cases are more spacious albeit at the expense of super-thick paneling.
Boogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2008, 18:37   #19
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Dwarf View Post
There's one bit I don't really like : "four terabytes of storage (or soon more) – more than most will ever need.". Err... what?
Aparently we'll be all dead in 5 years if Moore's law is to be believed( on the basis that we won't "ever" need more than 4 TB of storage OR more than 4 drive bays.) You can't assume we won't use more than 4 drives. What about RAID 50 / 60? This is bananas!
He meant right now, that's why it had in brackets "(or more soon)" - in time hard drive density will grow allowing bigger capacities, but without additional cooling I wouldn't want to cram more than four in to be honest.
Old 19th Sep 2008, 19:35   #20
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
very sweet case.

unacceptable price though.

but thats just me and my poor wallet.
ASUS Z97i-Plus - 4670K - 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA 660Ti - Crucial MX100 256GB - Corsair 250D [Modded]
www.pecelayam.com
Redbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote