bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 28th Sep 2008, 08:47   #1
MrBean
Supermodder

MrBean has yet to learn the way of the DremelMrBean has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
HP Blackbird 002

For a while now I've been eyeing the recently released HP Blackbird 002. No, not the system, just the case.

But, as you all know, they're notoriously difficult to come by, at least as an empty case - and, in the Land Down Under, you cannot even buy a complete Blackbird system.

With the help of a fellow modder, Alex at Computer Choppers, who recently did the Dream Machine mod on one of these, I managed to secure a Blackbird case.

All the cabling, SATA backplane, internal plastics were there, but it is short the unique outer sidepanels, and a decent front panel assembly for the buttons.

I have very good hardware particularly suited to this mod - for now I am putting on hold Dark Apple, and using the Asus Z7s motherboard, 2x Xeon 5430 cpus, 8gigs of ram, and the SAS harddrive cage.

Please see next post for some pics.

Last edited by MrBean; 28th Sep 2008 at 09:23.
MrBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2008, 09:00   #2
MrBean
Supermodder

MrBean has yet to learn the way of the DremelMrBean has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well, I basically put the base system together to test all the hardware, and make sure everything works as it should. Loaded Win Vista Ultimate 64bit as the preferred OS.

Here's a shot of the case, note the missing outer side-covers:

And here's a shot of the front-panel electronics, minus the rather nice HP frontpanel assembly:

The original assembly was modified, but it did not come out well, and will not fit this mod particularly well - I need a new bit here, and would prefer the original plastic - otherwise I need to have one CNC'ed, same as the sidepanels.

and the backside:

Last edited by MrBean; 28th Sep 2008 at 12:33.
Old 28th Sep 2008, 09:04   #3
bigsharn
Officially demotivated

bigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysis
You actually got hold of a Blackbird shell?

SUBSCRIBED!!!
Old 28th Sep 2008, 09:04   #4
MrBean
Supermodder

Here's a couple of internal shots, please don't mind the cabling/wiring for now, it will all be fixed proper when I'm done - in the following shots, the internal windage trays are not in place, I will mount them once the watercooling is complete.

Showing the Asus Z7S mobo, with 8-gigs FB-Dimms, and Xeon 5430's mounted - just 2 test coolers on for now - the system will be watercooled, replacing air for the 2x Fuzion v2's out of the Apple mod.

and another one:

In the next shot you can see the Dell Perc 5i mounted, with it's dual 4-channel SAS cables connected:

Old 28th Sep 2008, 09:14   #5
MrBean
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsharn
You actually got hold of a shell?
I guess I was very lucky, right time and place, and a crapload of money - the case, with shipping to Australia was around USD $1,200 - ouch, but worth it

Ok, back to the setup - the only real gripe I had with a very well designed case was a few minor things:

1) The harddrive slide in trays are hiddeous, cheap plastic things - they could have done a better job here.
2) Mounting any decent aftermarket radiator is going to be a pain (but I have it covered)
3) the clips keeping PCI cards in place is also crap quality, and prone to cracking/breaking - Voodoo/HP need to focus on the aspect.

Other than that, a very well-designed and engineered case.

Well, fixing the problem in point 1, I decided to remove the stock SATA backplane that came with the Blackbird:

With that done, I fitted the SAS (8x) 2.5" harddrive cage from a HP ML370 T05 server, similar to the one I am using in the Apple CaseMod. the advantage is, well, SAS drives, fast, enterprise reliability, battery-backed wb-cache, etc....plus, I can fit 8, where the original HP design allowed for 5 drives in the Blackbird.

And, I think it looks much neater than the original design - this is something Voodoo/HP should have done too - the cost of designing a new backplane from scratch vs using the SAS one would not have made a difference to the final pricing.

Well, here's some pics, please tell me what you think:

Angled shot:

another one....

and a close-up of the caddy and mounting - the aluminium plate will get the same color as the interior plastics, some or other glossy black....

Old 28th Sep 2008, 09:19   #6
MrBean
Supermodder

What's on the agenda next:

1) Mounting the Feser 240mm X-changer Radiator - busy with a very finicky custom mount for this unit, originally the watercooled Blackbirds makes use of an Asetek unit, custom manufactured for HP by them, and not available for sale to the general public.

I don't want the crappy stock cooling anyway.

Have the rad, Tygon 3/8" tubing, pumps, waterblocks, etc....

2) finalize cabling.

3) Buy 2x HD 4750 X2's for this rig.

I am currently using my old, trustworthy 8800Ultra.

Looking for a sponsor for the gfx cards

Comments welcome.

@ Cyprio and Angel OD: You guys thought I dropped everything...hehe

MrBean.
Old 28th Sep 2008, 09:25   #7
modsquad
Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

modsquad has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Blackbird singing in the dead of night.. Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

Last edited by modsquad; 28th Sep 2008 at 09:30.
modsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2008, 09:36   #8
MrBean
Supermodder

Ah, wise words there....

For those that may want to know, this is a pic of the HP SAS cage I used....in case original Blackbird owners want to do something similar...cough-cough Voodoo/HP....

Here's the motherboard I used:

and then, the memory:

and populating the board - 8-gigs of FB-Dimm goodness.....

Last edited by MrBean; 28th Sep 2008 at 09:42.
Old 28th Sep 2008, 09:52   #9
HaoKi
Lleno de anguilas!

HaoKi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As I loved the G5 Mod, I'm really looking forward to seeing this one...

Eutanasia: Q6600 g0 @ 3,6Ghz, DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS, 4Gb G.Skill @ 912mhz 5-4-4-4, HD4870 CrossfireX, 200gb WD... Article: Metku.net
HaoKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2008, 12:43   #10
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
i miss the G5 mod..
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2008, 13:20   #11
wgy
Supermodder

wgy has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwgy has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwgy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wise 'lyrics' to be correct, blackbird by the beatles.

looking forward to this. the HD rack looks good.
wgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2008, 17:41   #12
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Now let me see. this would have to be the SECOND Blackbird to ever be modded, do that case proud my friend.

What are you gonna do with your G5 mod?
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2008, 18:59   #13
wbdog206
Supermodder

wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
i like that h\d rack very efficient.
Old 28th Sep 2008, 19:19   #14
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Cool! something to look forward to.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2008, 19:23   #15
modgodtanvir
Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

modgodtanvir has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A Blackbird!?! This is going to be awesome! Keeping my eyes peeled
modgodtanvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2008, 22:27   #16
_-..zKiLLA..-_
Multimodder

_-..zKiLLA..-_ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nvm
~nVidia 9800GTX+~

Last edited by _-..zKiLLA..-_; 29th Sep 2008 at 05:46.
_-..zKiLLA..-_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2008, 22:46   #17
x06jsp
da ginger monkey!!!!

x06jsp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
sorry to say but ridiculously over priced case (i.e roughly 500!) but i look forward to seeing what you get done...

Josh
x06jsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2008, 02:37   #18
tominated
Supermodder

tominated has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i was wanting to get my hands on a blackbird case for soooo long. looks like it's going to be another top notch project though MrBean
tominated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2008, 12:40   #19
MrBean
Supermodder

Heya Guys,
Thanx for the feedback, appreciated.

I agree on the comment that these cases are ridiculously expensive, if you can find one, but, us modders are a crazy bunch

Nice to have something that will only get mainstream a couple of years from now - something similar to the Apple G5/Pro series cases - when someone tackles one, everyone takes notice.

I guess it will be the same with the Blackbirds 2-3 years from now.
Old 29th Sep 2008, 14:29   #20
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBean View Post
Heya Guys,
Thanx for the feedback, appreciated.

I agree on the comment that these cases are ridiculously expensive, if you can find one, but, us modders are a crazy bunch

Nice to have something that will only get mainstream a couple of years from now - something similar to the Apple G5/Pro series cases - when someone tackles one, everyone takes notice.

I guess it will be the same with the Blackbirds 2-3 years from now.
You might be right there chap, i loved the G5 logs so much but couldn't find a G5 case for love or money so ended up with a Lian li V1000b. I think the reason G5 projects are so loved is because you cant just slap hardware in them, they need modding well!
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
case mod

View Mode