bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 21st Jun 2011, 08:59   #181
MrBean
Supermodder

MrBean has yet to learn the way of the DremelMrBean has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hello Guys,
A few progress pics of the new Reservoir, and fitting the dual-pumps. Pretty boring, really, but, may come in handy for someone out there.

One thing I must say, this is a real neat single 5.25" bay solution with dual-pumps. Nice, compact, powerful.

First pic is showing the cover you need to remove if you have dual pumps, behind which is located a plug which needs to come out.....this cover must go back afterwards, with it's o-ring.....

Said plug, which needs removal, so the two 'reservoirs' can be joined as a single bigger reservoir.

Plug removed, told you it was boring.....hehe

Custom plug fitted to the inside of the left-hand reservoir, as you view it here - this is part of the conversion if you need to run the dual DDC's in series...

Another part of the dual-series mod, a nice bit of tubing that is optional, but cleans things up nicely -this 180deg pipe comes with above plug....

Another angle, and showing two areas where pumps will be located....

Now, some mods had to be done to the pumps, that will allow you to fit them to the receiver-bays.....

there are two victims, the first one.....

then, chopping here and there.....

and the final result, ready to be mounted to the reservoir....

Two shots showing the reservoir with pumps mounted after above chopping/snip-snip action - real compact....

and a last one....don't mind the cables, they will be sleeved - goodies on it's way from MDPC-X shop I will also clean up the pump housings, where I used a Stanley carpenter's knife to remove the original mounting lugs....be careful with your fingers here, I know we're chopping, but NOT your fingers, please!

MrBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 12:10   #182
Razer2007
Building Proxima

Razer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
cool. it looks nice. And of course you don't need to but that in the 3.25" bay right?

Don't feel bad about the G5. Same happened here, but I did the G5 and let another one die.
------------------------------------------------------
Razer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 13:55   #183
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That is such a nice and tidy bay res/pump combo. Gives you much more room to fit more goodies in .
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 16:18   #184
j0rd
FLOSS folder

j0rd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love this mod, the chassis are rare as rocking horse poop in .au which makes it even more unique. That dual rez is beautiful, the first bay rez i have ever seen and thought "i want that in my rig". Epic work, look forward to seeing this one completed.
j0rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 08:27   #185
MrBean
Supermodder

MrBean has yet to learn the way of the DremelMrBean has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanx Ozzie-fellas for your feedback, appreciated Always good to hear from other like-minded lunies from Down Under.....rofl

Ok, some more rantings and ravings - typically that of a lunatic, but anyway.....here goes:

I will do a few small mods to the pumps, i.e desoldering the original wires, and extending with new ones - I will mount the Koolance TMS-200 in the bottom-most PCI slot in my case, and it will take significantly longer runs to route the cables proper, and I don't want to solder/join them somewhere in the middle...

So, this will also allow me to mount a small 10k NTC thermal probe to each of the pump's pcb's, so I can monitor both pump's temps via Software. This will also allow me to run the cables together, and exit through the same grommet on the side of the pump....

So, at this point in time, awaiting the sleeving from Nils at MDPC-X.....should be here by weekend, I hope

Will update then.....
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 21:04   #186
transparentK
What's a Dremel?

transparentK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hey man did you ever find out how to take the back cover off? does the manual say anything? thanks!
transparentK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2011, 05:44   #187
MrBean
Supermodder

Ah, some good news.

My package from Nils at MDPC-X has arrived, thanx for the nice sketch on the envelope, Nils :flowers:

Luv the Molex-crimper too, I have a similar one, but for slightly larger Molex pins, now I can do the job proper. Just popped off to Jaycar, got a nice new wire-stripper too, and 100M of blue (no black, other choice was brown) 17AWG stranded copper-core cable.

So, I will completely rewire my trusty old PC Power&Cooling 1KW TurboCool PSU - less than 1% variation on the rails under full-load, and I just absolutely luv it. It's already 5 years old, but as stable and rock-solid as the day I first got it. With a peak of 1100W, no need to replace it with an inferior old Corsair/Enermax or Thermaltake - most of these have between 2-3% variance on the rails, and yes, the Corsair AX1200 is modular, looks nice, but.....if I compare the inside of it to my PC P&C, wow, wonder how those tiny heatsinks keep it cool......

So, PC P&C will be retained, and, admittedly, possibly the best PSU out there - at least the old, real PC P&C's......

So, I will instead rip all the cables out of my unit, and rewire - at least now, I can route all the cables exactly where/how I want to, and can really clean up my system. Nice, I will provide pics on the weekend. First things first, will be the water-loop, revamped (for the final time), fitment of new Koolance RP-401X2, pumps et al.

Kee you Guyz posted.
Old 25th Jun 2011, 09:06   #188
MrBean
Supermodder

A small update: cleaned up the rough edges on the pump-housings, where I removed the original mounting lugs.

Also used the opportunity to fit the temperature sensors, as well as creating a few ventilation holes on the rear. Will consider mounting 2x 80mm fans on top of the housings, and control them via the TMS-200 too, but probably not necessary anyway.

A few pictures tomorrow I will sleeve the cables, and fit the reservoir to the case, as well as tidy up the water-loop.

Enjoy - and sorry for the fuzziness of a few of the shots, the Fujifilm 5000 not taking as consistent clear pics as it used to....

Fitting the modified pump-housings...

Nekkid pump action...

Temperature sensor fitted, and secured by double-sided thermal tape .....both punps have the sensors in exactly the same location....

Fnished product, bear in mind the sleeving wil happen tomorrow.

and

Old 25th Jun 2011, 11:05   #189
MrBean
Supermodder

I've decided to order 2x Koolance PMP-400 Heatsinks - hopefully they arrive end next week, as I've done some USPS Express shipping from the webshop.

So, I will most likely continue to sleeve cables etc, and prep these for the new heatsinks once they arrive next week. This setup is all about reliability, and, on-top of the redundant pumps, I would like to give them a fair shot at maximum life-expectancy, hence the heatsinks - and the Koolance-kit is by far the best solution currently available.

More to follow.
Old 26th Jun 2011, 00:20   #190
MrBean
Supermodder

Ok, donwloaded some images from Koolance's website (Tim, I hope this is ok, Mate?) to show what I've ordered - I really like the Koolance pump-kits, as they do away with the old plastic housing/heatsink on-top effort, and expose the pcb rather nicely to the heatsink.

This will lead to more effective cooling -> if memory serves, you can also bolt a 60mm fan directly to the heatsink, as the holes line up 100%. I will confirm this though, but the general idea is that I will have slimline (and quiet) 60mm fans controlled from the TMS-200.

This control will be automatic, as I will retain the temperature-sensors that I've mounted to the pcb's.

Should make for a nice, quiet and reliable pump-solution.

Please take note that this approach will not work for those of you that have a single 5.25" bay restriction - yes, the BB case have only one, but, there is space both sides of this vertical bay - I will take pics once this is installed to how what I mean.

For now, a few pics:

What you'll receive in the kit

showing the exposed pcb, and the area where the heatsink will bolt to - yes, there will be some rather thick TIM in between...

and then 2 shots of the fully assembled unit - again default pics downloaded from Koolance's website - not direct linked, I'm hosting via photobucket......

and

ps: I will need to perform minor surgery to the intermediate bracket before I am able to fit this to the RP-401X2 reservoir, but I'll make it work This is going to look pretty good, I would reckon

Feedback welcome.

ps: I know this is probably overkill, but the main aim for this (simulator) is stability and reliability - I can see me using this for the next 5 years - yes, I am serious.....
Old 26th Jun 2011, 03:59   #191
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love those Koolance heatsinks for the pumps. Not only does it make a huge difference in pump temps but it looks cool as well . I will probably be using one on my DDC because it is in a confined spot.
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jun 2011, 04:31   #192
MrBean
Supermodder

Yeah, the same reason I decided to fit these to my pumps, as they will be located in an area devoid of decent air-circulation.....

At least now I can also fit slimline 60mm fans, so they will stay cool, even under max flow-rates....
Old 26th Jun 2011, 07:55   #193
KayinBlack
I Endure

KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.
Tim did say it wouldn't be single-slot after you fit those sinks, but if you've got no airflow, I could see why you did it.

Mine's sitting here waiting on me to finish my sleeving and case cutting and get it all installed. However, that's all dependent on my health, which quite frankly blows. Progress-at a snail's pace, of course.
KayinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jun 2011, 09:59   #194
MrBean
Supermodder

Yeah, I realise it wouldn't be single slot any longer - but, I have some spare space both sides of my vertical 5.25" slot, so no worries there. Will post pics once they arrive.

Good luck that side too, and hope your health pics up! Bloody crap when the mind is strong, and the body is playing up :flowers:
Old 2nd Jul 2011, 12:07   #195
MrBean
Supermodder

Hello Guys,
Slightly annoyed with postal services, as my PMP-400 heatsinks have not been delivered, so a second weekend I cannot finnish my watercooling. Oh well, as they say in Finnish, paska säkä.

But, a small update none the less: Decided to redo the fittings/tubing passing through the mid-plate, onto the gfx card. As things were, I could not remove the SAS Raid Controller, as a part of the fittings were in the way - SAs card is mounted directly below the gfx card:

and

Decided on a different approach, by fitting an additional spacer to the pass-through adapters, and then using some BP fittings on the gfx card, rmoving the BP temp sensor, and have both inlet- and outlet connectors on the top side of the gfx waterblock....

Busy here with the first one

and a few more....

and

and

Oh well, came pretty decent, bit more work to do on the tubing-lengths, and decided to do the old water-run.

Damn BP fittings, both the 90-deg rotating fittings leaked (albeit very, very slowly) right on the o-ring where it is swivelling - jeesh, I was annoyed. Very poor quality control BP-boyz.....

So, had some BP silver-shining 90-deg (non-rotaries), and decided to go with them - ok, they're not black, but they will not be visible here anyway, and they will do just fine.....- please note the drain-line, connected to a 90-deg rotary fitting, if I need to drain the loop, I simply rotate the tubing out and let it drain into a small beaker or something.....will make a holding-mechanism for the tubing, but not to shabby

and (please ignore the PSU cabling, will be tidying it up)

and a final one for now

Well, currently testing the loop again, and much better, 3 hours +, and no more leaks. Much better. At least now, I can remove the SA-Controller if I want to, tubing is a lot cleaner, more practical, and not I can focus on the pumps and associated tubing when these damn PMP-400 heatsinks show up.

Definitely this week, but frustrating, I tell ya.

Feedback appreciated.

Last edited by MrBean; 2nd Jul 2011 at 12:23.
Old 2nd Jul 2011, 12:13   #196
MrBean
Supermodder

For those wondering where I am going with the water temp sensor, I have ordered 2x Aquacomputer in-line temp sensors from The Kool Room, one for res-out and one for res-return lines.

Should have them mid-week too, so all in time to fit the new pumps and Koolance res

Last edited by MrBean; 2nd Jul 2011 at 12:38.
Old 2nd Jul 2011, 18:59   #197
KayinBlack
I Endure

KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.
I nearly picked up that SAS card, but I got the Intel SRCSAS18E instead. I see you have two of the three BBUs it can have, gonna get the third?

It's looking great, can't wait to see it finished. I'm gonna have to post one more log it seems, just to show off my res too.
KayinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2011, 22:36   #198
Evenge
Hypermodder

Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nice work! Now if only I could afford watercooling...
Old 3rd Jul 2011, 04:52   #199
MrBean
Supermodder

@ KayinBlack: Yeah, a pretty decent card, the P800 -> I guess I could add another battery, but then again, I have a 3KVA APC UPS too.....and this system is being fed of that....But, will keep my eyes open for a 3rd one, would fill up the empty battery slot nicely

Sharp eyes!

@ Evenge: Kiitos hyvin paljon. Where in Finland are you? I remember (on my annual travels to Tampere) that Miska Saarvaanto (www.coolputer.fi) had a nice shop in a basement in downtown Tampere, but it may now belong to someone else - they always had a nice selection, and pricing wasn't to bad:

-> http://www.jimms.fi/coolputer

Hope you find something affordable!
Old 3rd Jul 2011, 08:15   #200
MrBean
Supermodder

Hello Guyz,
Need a bit of help on this one - I am rewiring my PC Power&Cooling 1KW computer psu, but do not want to use el-cheapo PVC wire.....

Instead, I want something highly flexible, soft, and good quality, like Turniqy 18AWG pure-silicone cable -or, even better, 16AWG would do.

I am looking for something like 50-100M of it, and not willing to pay the exorbitant pricing the Hobbyshops are asking.

Anyone point me in the right direction? Much obliged, thanx guys

Tags
case mod

View Mode