bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 9th Oct 2008, 14:35   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Sierra shuts down servers for 21 games

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/10...game-servers/1

Possibly as a result of the Vivendi Activision and Blizzard merger, Sierra has closed servers for 21 of its more classic games.

Old 9th Oct 2008, 14:47   #2
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Noooes! Not Homeworld. That is lame. Very very lame.

Makes me wanna play it again
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2008, 14:49   #3
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Bring on another Homeworld already, sheesh.
Old 9th Oct 2008, 14:50   #4
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Hang on, they're shutting down their own hosted servers? How does this affect Lan gamers? I'm confuzzled.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2008, 14:52   #5
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nolf 2 was awesome. It's a franchise I hope a company returns to one day.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2008, 14:57   #6
Goty
Supermodder

Goty has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This will dent the player base for a while, but if this is anything like when they shut down the master server for Tribes, chances are that someone out there will set up a new one just so those few thousand people still playing the game can keep doing so.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2008, 15:00   #7
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why would interweb servers effect LAN gamers?
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2008, 15:00   #8
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Emporor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom <3 loved that game, tho never really played online.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2008, 15:02   #9
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Are you kidding me? AvP2 again? Ugh.. -.-
Old 9th Oct 2008, 15:12   #10
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
I don't recall Arcanum having an online component, am I wrong there?

Nobody plays Vampire on the Sierra servers any more, those few people still playing use virtual LANs via Hamachi.. and I'd imagine that'll be common practice for many older games like these.
Old 9th Oct 2008, 15:42   #11
C-Sniper
Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurechial
I don't recall Arcanum having an online component, am I wrong there?

Nobody plays Vampire on the Sierra servers any more, those few people still playing use virtual LANs via Hamachi.. and I'd imagine that'll be common practice for many older games like these.
I always thought Arcanum was Single Player as well... great game though
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz View Post
hmm you seem to know a lot about guys.. I was wondering- if I put a piece of plywood down my pants, would that be enough to protect me from rear attacks.. like in a circus bathroom or high scale restaurant
C-Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2008, 16:04   #12
ZERO <ibis>
Supermodder

ZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the DremelZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I do not see how it would effect lan games, especially on games as old as that. This being said, I think internet play is still possible but will now be limited to vpns.
Old 9th Oct 2008, 16:17   #13
Jojii
hardware freak

Jojii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
sierra didnt transition well into these last couple years
Jojii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2008, 16:27   #14
knyghtryda
Multimodder

knyghtryda has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
any want to dust off their old copy of homeworld and get a hamachi lan going? I haven't played that game in years. I just reinstalled starcraft and am realizing just how rusty I am at it...
Old 9th Oct 2008, 16:42   #15
theevilelephant
Ultramodder

theevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysistheevilelephant can run Crysis
I will miss Tribes 2, loved that game, still fire it up now and then to have a play.
Old 9th Oct 2008, 17:10   #16
Cadillac Ferd
Multimodder

Cadillac Ferd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow.
Homeworld aaaaaaand Tribes?
Talk about a one-two punch in the balls.

It's a shame to Sierra die off with not even so much as a whimper, when you look back on all the great games they had a part in over the years it makes me pretty sad to see them go.
Cadillac Ferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2008, 17:15   #17
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac Ferd View Post
Wow.
Homeworld aaaaaaand Tribes?
Talk about a one-two punch in the balls.

It's a shame to Sierra die off with not even so much as a whimper, when you look back on all the great games they had a part in over the years it makes me pretty sad to see them go.
They haven't tried continuing their IPs.. AvP, Homeworld, etc.. all were great games and sold well.. but they never continued them further.. I would still love to see an AvP3
Old 9th Oct 2008, 17:42   #18
Rich Hall
What's a Dremel?

Rich Hall has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm really not bothered about T2 finally dying a slow death, it was an awful game compared to the original.

AVP2 though? sadface.
Rich Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2008, 17:50   #19
pendragon
I pickle they

pendragon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
that's a shame.. i know tribes 2 was really popular with some of my friends :-/
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2008, 19:08   #20
Aterius Gmork
/r/pcmasterrace

Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nooo, how do I play Empire Earth now?