1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Anti-piracy PRO-IP bill passed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I think people are exagerating it, but not by much.

This move just proves how archaic the entire system is - They're not going to stop Pirates with a few laws. Unless the laws involve cutting hands off when people steal.

The industry needs to move forwards, or artists need to publish on their own backs, it's not hard to put a set of mp3's (without DRM) on a site with a checkout system, is it?

Apes & Androids managed it just fine, and they're not exactly well know like say, Nine Inch Nails (Not a fan, but they're pretty well known, yes?) and they managed it with 'Ghosts' too.

3. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

Oh America...Land of the free? its getting less so every day. Id laugh but im sure our government trying to bum snuggle up to the USA will introduce something like that here.

Your no longer free.

4. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

"Land of the free"??

More like "land of the free music and movies" and this won't change it IMO...

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I wonder how much this bill cost the riaa?

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Freedom and free will costs a few million dollars these days. Otherwise it's illegal.

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Living the American Dream is not the way to go. Thankfully I'm awake...

8. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Since when did we have any authority over what happened over seas?

9. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

You can sue a foreign entity in America for civil violations according to American law if they hold any assets here.

Also, it would be "you're not free," not "your not free," and your statement is ludicrous to boot. There is not a single Constitutional or legal right this bill contradicts. The real problem with it is that it is a waste of DOJ's resources. They've got real criminals to go after (and drug rings to bust so the price goes up and the remaining producers get even richer), there's no reason for them to be wasting time on civil matters.

10. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

glad im just a foreigner living in canada....

11. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Wish I was :rolleyes:

This won't affect consumer lever piracy (P2P, torrents, etc) much, but it might (probably not) put a dent in the guys selling cracked copies of software on the street corner in Shanghai, which most of us agree is a good thing.

Fundamentally, taking on piracy is a fools errand as it can never be stopped, or even suppressed for more than a short period of time. It does bother me a little that of all the things the government should be doing, they're wasting their time on this, but oh well.

And finally...

[​IMG]

12. mjb254

mjb254 What's a Dremel?

All this does is tighten the screws against people who take their security and privacy on p2p sites for granted. Mainstream users might be affected however people who value security and use foreign servers to mediate transfers through encrypted connections will still be very hard to catch. Up until about a couple of weeks ago I was one of the mainstream p2p users who took their security for granted and it caught up with me in the form of my ISP shutting off my net until I ceased the files I was sharing.

There will always be an underground on the internet for those who wish to distribute files and trying to police the internet will work just as well as my countries attempts to police the world.

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Unbelievable.

I really believe that none of these advocates groups and organizations like the RIAA and MPAA will be happy until they have the right to filter every single bit of data being sent anywhere to anyone on the internet. And now they basically have federal backing.

:miffed:

14. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

The nice thing about this law is that it hasn't changed the burden of proof for proving someone is sharing files, something that the courts are starting to consistently beat the music and movie cartels on. So the end result is that a few more street vendors of pirated DVDs (why would anyone do that anymore?) get busted, and maybe a couple warez groups go under when their bumpkin supplier gets himself caught. If they haven't been catching these guys before, they're not going to have any more luck now since the DOJ told the cartels to basically screw off and do it themselves.

If piracy was genuinely hurting artists, we'd be hearing way more about it. Like along the lines of nothing coming close to breaking even anymore. They're just worried about their profit margins shrinking a few points, which should hopefully make them think twice before greenlighting another "_____ Movie" joke of a comedy flick.

Tags: Add Tags