1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Treyarch to keep Call of Duty in World War II?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

if theyre so interested in showing us all this make it an expansion pack or DLC for the upcoming game and leave bloody WWII alone!

3. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Not been a massive fan of the CoD series tbh...until CoD4.
    Loved that so much I actually played it til I had completed every challenge and unlocked all the golden guns! :D

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

How are dev teams not bored with WWII yet?

Seriously. How many games are there about that bloody war? I don't mean to be disrespectful to the people who died during the war, but ffs, stop with the games about the damned thing!

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I'd like to go on record as saying, I'm pro WWII games - there are more stories to be told, and i'd love to see some of the less popular battles fleshed out in a well polished game. I'm sure with the release of Pacific we'll see a real resurgence in interest in lesser recognised WW2 theatres.

6. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I'm also a fan of WW2 games. I don't know why, obviously the war wasn't fun, but because of the realistic setting, playing games based around it are quite fun. Company of Heroes for example is just so many times more brilliant than Dawn of War (they are built on the same engine by the same devs though), and more contempory games even with helicopters and that aren't as fun. I think it's because they have a hard time accurately depicting the reality of the situation because it's not real per se, whereas WW2 was exactly real. CoD 4 is obviously a lot of fun though :p but I'm sure it wouldn't have been the game it was if Treyarch hadn't have explored survivors stories about WW2 and everything to get a real 'feel' for what it was, because that's what they're trying to deliver, a gaming experience as immersive and close to reality as can be.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

...Maybe the war's since then were too....boring?

Vietnam games:...meh too much jungle to see anything...besides, the US lost...who wants to play (errr produce) that :D
    Iraq:...too one sided (like WWII german invasion of Poland wouldn't be very exiting)
    Israel vs...all it's neighbours...too one sided
    Africa ...gazillions of small wars, but no real good side/bad side...uninteresting to produce.
    Falklands ...probably nobody but the Brits remember this one :D ...also a bit one sided, though would offer good settings

Maybe:
    Yugoslavia (Kroatia-Bosnia-Macedonia-Kosovo) ...too recent
    ...Otherwise it would make a good series though, setting like CoD4 only realistic

8. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Personally I don't mind which era they choose as long as its done well.

If you want to talk about conflicts that have been largely ignored, how about Korea? I can think of two games, one was Mig Alley (fab flight sim) and the other was a RTS type from a while ago who's title escapes me at the moment. But then again the Korean War is often referred to as the forgotten conflict so maybe Treyarch are simply sticking to what has proved to be popular.

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The credits for that got me all excited when I read "William S" I was hoping to see 'hatner' :(

10. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

ok, so we had COD d-day and COD pacific and eh...... COD (name some)

What country are the Yankees going to invade now? I guess they wanted to name COD6 "universe at war" but then again that is already taken...

11. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

No more WWII games, unless they finally make it so you play as the Germans. It would be cool if they made a Vietnam game or a game based off the Israeli 6-day war. WWII games have been over made IMO and need a hugh break.

12. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

call of duty ww2 games tend to have uninteresting weapons
    cod4 stomped every modern shooter because the weapons were fun to use
    obviously games like vegas give more realistic gun recoil etc
    but weapons in modern warfare were the most balanced i have seen and thats what made it a better experience than cod2
    and cod3 [the less said about that the better]

13. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Yeah will modern warfare there is a hugh arsenal of guns to choose from and WW2 only had a select few. I love COD4s weapon upgrades and crysis had cool features too. I miss the Rogue Spear days with the weapons packs that had 100+ weapons.

14. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Callof Duty 1 was great, so was the II and the only one I dodn't like was COD 4.

I would actually PREFER that the COD franchise stay in the WWII area.

There are a lot more battles to be done, and which should be done well.

UrbanMarine, true, we played as an American, English or Russian...a stint on the German side would also be a good slant...

15. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

bloody hell leave WW2 alone... its freakin boring already.

vietnam is a good setting. lotsa foliage (read: pretty graphic), the US lost, but its somewhat even battle (good setting for PvP), it's not WW2.

16. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

why not fictional wars on different planets? that was one of the best features of the otherwise run of the mill SW Battlefront games

17. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

I wonder how German people feel about WW2 games? Do they sell well in Germany? I mean how does that affect their teenagers who are shooting their own grandfathers in game...

18. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Treyarch probably doesnt know how to make any game other then a WWII game.

19. Haltech

Haltech What's a Dremel?

Kinda wishing COD would follow Battlefield's actions and do a futuristic thing like 2142.

20. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

I do like a bit of COD every now and then. As far as multiplayer goes, you can't beat a bit of Day of Defeat/ Day of Defeat Source! - the mod that refuses to die!

Tags: Add Tags