bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 20th Oct 2008, 11:07   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
PC Gaming Alliance lashes out at Lucasarts

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/10...at-lucasarts/1

Upset that there was no PC version of The Force Unleashed, Randy Stude of the PCGA has lashed out at Lucasarts.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 11:23   #2
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hurm, well said PCGA O_O
Old 20th Oct 2008, 11:25   #3
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
So the PCGA will lash out at LucasArts, but not at Epic?

Hmmm.
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 11:35   #4
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
screw the force unleashed, i doubt it'll even cross my mind whilst im playing fallout 3, farcry 2 and WAR online.

plenty of good titles for the pc lucasarts - you just carry on making kiddies toys for the konsolified masses
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 11:48   #5
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I see a PC games market without LucasArts dross as a selling point not a hindrance.

"PC gaming, we have less Star Wars based crap than the others"

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 11:50   #6
rhuitron
Bump? What Bump?

rhuitron has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hell Yeah, PCGA!!!!

How could leave us out in the Dark George?

WE (Pc gamers), started gamin for the Star Wars name!

Not the freaking Consoles!

Nobody even knew about Star Wars for the Atari. And further less for the Snes.
It wasn't until x-wing for DOS and Mac's that it started booming for you guys.
And this is how you pay us?!
Old 20th Oct 2008, 12:22   #7
Tyrmot
Supermodder

Tyrmot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think he's got a very good point there. I haven't seen anything good come out of LucasArts in a long time!

Perhaps the real reason it didn't come to PC is because that would have made its mind-boggling mediocrity all too obvious...
Tyrmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 12:27   #8
Skepsis
What's a Dremel?

Skepsis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's just a shame it won't be on the PC. I was forced to go out and play it on the PSP as I don't own any other console, it's a great game and fits with the movies storyline rather well. If it was for piracy reasons but they were just saying it's graphical related to cover it then it's pretty dumb. Fallout 3 and Farcry 2 are both already leaked on the net for the XBOX 360 so people with "modded" 360's can download and play it. Farcry 2 also leaked for the PC but without any cracks to play it, can only play around with the editor which looks rather tempting, but will hold back till my pre-order arrives!
Skepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 12:28   #9
Sebbo
Multimodder

Sebbo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
someone needs to remind Randy that the Wii version wasn't handled by LucasArts, it was done by Krome Studios, and so making a scalable version for the PC is indeed quite an extra load of work.
also, i don't think the game would have played too well on PC either... 3rd person action/platform games generally don't
Intel Core i7 920, ASUS P6T Deluxe, 12GB Corsair Dominator PC-12800, Sapphire HD7970, Crucial m300 120GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Samsung Spinpoint 1TB, Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Logitech G510 and G9, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers, Dell U2713HM 27" and 2408WFP 24" monitors
Sebbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 13:08   #10
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Firstly, it's not that great a game so the PC gamers aren't missing out all that much. Secondly, I think it wouldn't work very well at all with a mouse and keyboard.

So the purpose of the PCGA is to bitch about other devs then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 13:37   #11
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Perhaps if Lucasarts had come up with a better excuse than it wont runz on ur pcs then maybe people would have taken them at face value. Maybe they should have been more honest, We don't think it'll sell well on the PC for XYZ reasons so were not going to waste money developing it.

The keyboard reasoning is flawed since there are many games which are release which don't work well with the keyboard but still get a release (GTA, Lego SW etc.)
Old 20th Oct 2008, 13:38   #12
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Stude then finished by claiming that Lucasarts was no longer a real developer and that it existed only to farm out the rights to the Star Wars franchise - and even then it hadn't done that very well in a long while."

Hahahaha ultimate burn! Everyone knows it's true, hilarious to hear an official say it. It does strike me as odd to lash out at lucasarts rather than epic in my mind though, as epic have been much more public in their PC bashing.

It didn't bother me in the slightest that this game wasn't on PC. I thought it sounded like fun for a couple of hours, cause of the awesome physics engine, but not something to spend $100NZ on.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 14:34   #13
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Wing commander was waaaay better then X-wing or other sw crap
You know.. the one with Mark Hamill and the evil Kilrathi race...
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 15:35   #14
fargo
Multimodder

fargo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
lucasarts is swimming in money and took a cheap shot at pc because it didn't have the ambition to port to the pc
tbh I never had any interest in their gaming!
fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 15:56   #15
knyghtryda
Multimodder

knyghtryda has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
For every developer like lucasarts and Epic there's one like CDProjekt who makes it a goal to serve the PC community. Support those developers, and we can hopefully see more games geared toward the PC audience. Oh... and go buy The Witcher. You'll soon forget about that "KOTOR" game
Old 20th Oct 2008, 15:57   #16
Rich_13
Hypermodder

Rich_13 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
On the plus side it is nice to have someone defending the PC sector. The reality is that is can be more expensive to develop for the PC but on the flip side, developers don't have to pay royalties for PC games which i'm sure can make a big difference on a game that sells well on the PC.
Old 20th Oct 2008, 16:13   #17
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
While I agree with the comment that they're just whoring out the SW franchise and have lost all their originality, I don't think the other comments hold much water.

1) Why pick on Lucas Arts? As others have said, Epic are doing a lot of bitching about the PC and not bringing GoW2 to the PC, and they're even in the alliance
2) It isn't viable to put on the PC. This is completely true. The problem with this game is the physics aren't just a little part of the game that makes it looks nice, it's integral to the gameplay, moreso than other games that use lots of physics like HL2. If you look at the Wii version and the 360/PS3 one. The Wii version is far inferior because of the reduced physics. They would have to port both versions of the game onto the PC to cater for high and low end gaming PCs. Also, it's not 1 game that has been ported around, it is 3 distinct versions, the handheld version, the Wii version and the 360/PS3 version
3) 100 million high end PCs sold? If that were the problem then Epic wouldn't be constantly bitching about how the PC sucks and how they can't make any money on it. SW:FU would be very unlikely to make much money on the PC, there's just not enough people who would buy the game because it almost requires a control pad. LEGO SW worked quite well on the PC, because it was a pretty simple platformer, this game is definitely not simple in terms of controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 17:03   #18
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veles View Post
SW:FU
I read the first bit as Star Wars, But the second half automatically translated to something other than Force Unleashed

I do agree with you regarding the gamepad issue though Veles - some games, especially console ports like the Lego Games, almost require a gamepad to stop you breaking your fingers while trying to play it.
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 18:04   #19
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veles View Post
The problem with this game is the physics aren't just a little part of the game that makes it looks nice, it's integral to the gameplay, moreso than other games that use lots of physics like HL2.
From what I seen of SWFU, it is not much different than HL2 gravity gun. Pull, Push, blow-up...
And that on an relatively old game engine adequate for a mid-lowish system.
Old 20th Oct 2008, 18:25   #20
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Now you mention it I think thats exactly why I fancied this game. Its just like an extension of the last level of hl2 but now with added light sabers!