bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 20th Oct 2008, 11:03   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Mythic: Battle with WoW is a marathon, not sprint

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/10...n-not-sprint/1

Mythic CEO Mark Jacobs has taken issue with the reveal that over half of WoW-to-WAR emigrants had made the return journey.

CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 11:39   #2
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
I'm not so sure about his comments and I'm not so sure I'd believe the research he's referring to.
A lot of people will pick one MMO and stick with it simply because they can't justify paying more than one monthly fee at a time to play a game.

I would imagine out of all of the world's MMO players, those who pay for more than one MMO concurrently are in a definite minority.
Old 20th Oct 2008, 11:50   #3
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
"It's a marathon, not a sprint. We've got a lot of stuff going in, not only this fall but then there's spring and then after that," finished Jacobs.
Well done Jacobs, showing a rudimentary knowledge of the seasons, but you missed out winter.
Old 20th Oct 2008, 11:56   #4
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurechial
I would imagine out of all of the world's MMO players, those who pay for more than one MMO concurrently are in a definite minority.
Or maybe it's one "paid" MMO like WOW, and one or more of the "free" (no monthly sub) ones e.g. Second Life / Guild Wars
Old 20th Oct 2008, 13:01   #5
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
WAR will close its doors within a year unless EA actually suppot something thats isn't making mad profits, been playing abit of wow recently and the server I play on and other servers I know people from have all had queues in the evenings... pre-exp content patch > WAR?
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 13:05   #6
StephenK
Sneak 'em Upper

StephenK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I was quite suprised to find out that most of the people i play EvE with also play 1 or 2 other pay-to-play MMOs. I play Guildwars with my girlfiend but the only other game i play is EvE and I was suprised that so many of my friends were playing EvE, WoW and some of them AoC or War as well.

Always meant to check out WoW and liked the look of War, might do that this weekend...
Intel e6600 - 4gb Corsair Twin2X 6400C4 DDR2 - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro + Silver 5 - Gainward GTX260 Golden Sample 896MB - Dell U2410 + iiyama E2200WS - Black Coolermaster ATCS 840 - Corsair HX620 - Asus P5B Deluxe - 1tb F3 - 1tb F1 - 320gb T166 - X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Creative Inspire T6100 - Razer Lycosa and Razer Mamba

Last edited by StephenK; 20th Oct 2008 at 14:06.
StephenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 13:32   #7
Teq
Multimodder

Teq has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I left WoW earlier in the year, had burned myself out playing to much PvP, picked up AoC, liked it but unfortunately they do not directly accept maestro (shakes fist), stopped playing completely for the summer and then picked up WoW again ready for the expansion. I also play WAR, but if there are billing issues it will certainly be dropped... :P
Teq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 15:10   #8
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
heh... im happy with LOTRO... subscriber kept getting bigger the last year n a half, and big expansion coming out soon....
ASUS Z97i-Plus - 4670K - 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA 660Ti - Crucial MX100 256GB - Corsair 250D [Modded]
www.pecelayam.com
Redbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 15:59   #9
Ferret
What's a Dremel?

Ferret has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenK View Post
I was quite suprised to find out that most of the people i play EvE with also play 1 or 2 other pay-to-play MMOs. I play Guildwars with my girlfiend but the only other game i play is EvE and I was suprised that so many of my friends were playing EvE, WoW and some of them AoC or War as well.

Always meant to check out WoW and liked the look of War, might do that this weekend...
(unless it has changed dramatically since I last played it)

Probably due to EVEs unique ability to let someone progress their character in line with others without requiring them to actually play the game very often. As long as they can earn enough credits to fund the skill learning then they slack and play something else.

Even to the point where people keep paying for the game as they fear they will fall behind even though they donít like it anymore..
Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 16:37   #10
Vash-HT
Multimodder

Vash-HT has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have an active account for WoW and WAR right now, I mainly resubbed to WoW to see the patch changes (which are great imo). The problem I'm having with WAR is that leveling is basically just doing scenarios over and over because it seems like no one does anything else. I can't really blame them because leveling is faster jsut doing scenarios over and over, but it sucks running around to do quests and seeing absolutely no one out there.
Vash-HT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2008, 19:54   #11
-EVRE-
Supermodder

-EVRE- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A few in my wow raiding guild have already played WAR to max level and given it up. I guess for the extreme player WAR doesn't have what it takes.

I am a one game MMO person. I dont have the time to pay attention to two games at once. (since I wont be quitting wow)
Old 21st Oct 2008, 00:07   #12
dr-strangelove
Multimodder

dr-strangelove has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Perhaps this is because I have only been playing WoW for a few months but I cannot imagine being able to play two MMO's at the same time since I give the same concentration to WoW that I give to other games
dr-strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2008, 01:48   #13
dire_wolf
Last Of The Dovakhiin

dire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-strangelove View Post
Perhaps this is because I have only been playing WoW for a few months but I cannot imagine being able to play two MMO's at the same time since I give the same concentration to WoW that I give to other games
I've been playing it for 3 and a bit years and I still don't have time to play any other MMOs and keep my GF happy lol
dire_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2008, 04:18   #14
B3CK
Supermodder

B3CK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have played wow for quite a while. Played Coh/Cov, AoC, and War.
Wow has been my mainstay game through all of them since wow was in beta. I will occasionally leave wow to play others, dropping my subscription. When I get burned out, guilds fall apart, too busy real life, etc. I liked War, but I have too many friends still playing wow, and to play a game for fun, I like to have friendly people with me. I will still probably subscribe to War every now and then, just for a break from wow, but I will not pay for more than one game per month. The fees are pretty easy to cover, instead of going to the movies for a week, I will use that $15 for a month of game. But due to real life, I don't have time to focus on more than one at a time.
I would of loved AoC, but gave up on AoC after one week of the worst gaming experience of my life, (released a buggy game, and focused on adding content instead of fixing it). It had alot of potential; nice graphics, adult oriented, easy to play. BUT after the horrendous experience of canceling, or getting in touch with either their tech support, or customer service, I will never buy another funcon game again.
Old 21st Oct 2008, 05:33   #15
Horizon
Dremel Worthy

Horizon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@Mr. Jacobs

I play one game at a time. religiously. That's how I game.

Last edited by Horizon; 21st Oct 2008 at 07:31.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2008, 17:34   #16
StephenK
Sneak 'em Upper

StephenK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So if I havent played WoW... Silly question I know but would people recommend getting into it now with the latest expansion and patches? The main reason I never tried it was the graphics to be honest. I know there's a lot more to a game but that was the reason I never picked it up.
Intel e6600 - 4gb Corsair Twin2X 6400C4 DDR2 - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro + Silver 5 - Gainward GTX260 Golden Sample 896MB - Dell U2410 + iiyama E2200WS - Black Coolermaster ATCS 840 - Corsair HX620 - Asus P5B Deluxe - 1tb F3 - 1tb F1 - 320gb T166 - X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Creative Inspire T6100 - Razer Lycosa and Razer Mamba
StephenK is offline   Reply With Quote