bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Oct 2008, 13:26   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
3D Realms not pleased with Max Payne movie

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/10...-payne-movie/1

Scott Miller, CEO of 3D Realms and the producer behind both of the Max Payne games has added his voice to those displeased with the movie.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2008, 13:30   #2
TomH
Bwahahahahaha

TomH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The greatest 'WTF' came from the casting of Jim Bravura.. Who the hell thought some over-Christian-y black rapper could be a replacement for the coarse-voiced, married-to-the-job, stereotypical NYPD Chief that we had in the game(s)?!?

That and the valkyries?! Seriously...

It looked cool enough in the trailer, but it was doomed to be a bad port from the beginning...
Old 21st Oct 2008, 13:39   #3
Stuey
You will be defenestrated!

Stuey has yet to learn the way of the DremelStuey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I didn't see the movie, and likely won't until it hits DVD. Rotten Tomatoes shows a 19% rating for the film - that's pretty darn lousy.
Old 21st Oct 2008, 14:23   #4
UrbanMarine
Government Prostitute

UrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the DremelUrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Another video game to movie ruined. I'm glad Hideo Kojima is standing in 110% for the MGS movie and not letting his masterpiece end up in the toilet because of bad directing.
Old 21st Oct 2008, 14:38   #5
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
i'll probably still see it in the theater... i can deal with $10... i just need to leave my brain at the door and enjoy the ride. im sure i can still enjoy it.

the fact that im sure im not the only one to think this way is the reason it's still hitting the box-office.......
ASUS Z97i-Plus - 4670K - 8GB DDR3 - Zotac GTX 970 - Crucial MX100 256GB - Corsair 250D [Modded]
www.pecelayam.com
Redbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2008, 15:07   #6
mrb_no1
Pie Eater

mrb_no1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i agree with redbeaver....alot of poeple seem to think that everytime they see a film, the plot, cinematography and cgi will be as good as their favourite film, be it lord of the rings or usual suspects, but the fact of the matter is, when you go and see a film like this or an oldie like predator, you arent watching it because its a revolutionary piece of film making, its because it may or (in this case) may not be good entertainment, with cheesy lines like, 'gun fire into doorway', "knock knock" from predator that just make you laugh, so yeh, pay your money and leave your cinicism at the door and enjoy the film. i'll see max payne once i've gone to the the dark knight as thats still on my must see list at the theatre.

peace

fatman
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3600Mhz Asus Maximus II Formula ATI Radeon 4890 (1000Mhz Core + 1200Mhz Mem OC) 2x2G Corsair Dom. PC 8500 @ 1080Mhz Aquacomputer WC Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty 150G Raptor, 2x1500 + 1x750 + 2x500 Seagate (SATA2) Pioneer DVD burner Lian Li - PC 73SL Aluminium Silent Server Case Dell 2007WFP 20" Widescreen Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers Sennheiser HD270
mrb_no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2008, 15:16   #7
MrMonroe
Multimodder

MrMonroe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Related stories: "New Monkey Island?"

Yes, I am definitely reading Bit-Tech.
MrMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2008, 15:17   #8
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
WTF! not Uwe Boll's work this time?
Luckily for us we can rant at him again soon with the upcoming alone in the dark 2, far cry and bloodrayne 3
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2008, 15:29   #9
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMarine View Post
Another video game to movie ruined. I'm glad Hideo Kojima is standing in 110% for the MGS movie and not letting his masterpiece end up in the toilet because of bad directing.
Well, the Cutscenes there are almost movies, that might be a good headstart over other game to movie adaptions as it will make it far easier to be close to the orignal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan View Post
WTF! not Uwe Boll's work this time?
Luckily for us we can rant at him again soon with the upcoming alone in the dark 2, far cry and bloodrayne 3
Don't need a reason anymore to rant about him, he's as much of a director as jack thompson is a lawyer...
Too bad to see Bloodrayne in his hands though, as for far cry, well that can only end up boring, no matter what director.

3DRealms really should hae worked out a better contract that would have given them more control over how the movie is, but easy for me to say that now that its too late, now they know allready as well.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2008, 16:08   #10
Yemerich
I can has PERSUADETRON?

Yemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
So, they first sell the rights to make a movie and now they are complaining?...
Thats just ridiculous...

Next time they could sell the right with a condition to write the screenplay!
Hades (Best advanced casemod design CP-Brazil 2010)

Take a look on my projects here.
Yemerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2008, 16:26   #11
metarinka
I *am* a Dremel

metarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysis
and they replaced the original soundtrack with nothing memorable
I saw it with my Gf opening day. It was okay but could of been a lot better. They never really explain the significance of the Ragnarok club or really much of anything. The Mob is also not in the movie at all.

having played the games i at least knew where the story was coming from my GF thought it was just wierd or confusing.
it was a shame it had some really interesting and cool visuals, especially when he takes the drugs
metarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2008, 17:05   #12
kosch
Trango in the Mango

kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.
They should have just overhauled/sexed up the engine and done it in Machinima
kosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2008, 20:06   #13
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The engine actually still looks good today. Very impressive game.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2008, 23:36   #14
TomH
Bwahahahahaha

TomH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
The engine actually still looks good today. Very impressive game.
Thanks to an awesome level of Wine compatibility, I'm re-discovering this as being very true.
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 00:51   #15
Anakha
Supermodder

Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I went and saw this (For free - Thanks Cineplex VIP card) on opening night with my wife. I've played and completed both Max Payne games, she's never seen either.

We both thought the movie was soooooo vvveeeeerrrrryyyyyy sssslllllooooooooowwwww... And not because of the bullet-time (Which was used infrequently, but to great effect), either. The plot dragged it's heels more than a dead dog chained to the back of a pickup truck and pulled from Reno to Nunavit, some of the casting was all wrong (Bravura? WTF?), and major characters and plot points were missing, or in the wrong place, or retconned and replaced entirely.

Yes, as others have said, no mob references at all, which kinda ruined things as Max was caught between the Mob, the Russians, and the police, and only the latter were (ostensibly) present.

And the "After the credits teaser" just twisted the knife even more. Way to drop the bomb that there's gonna be a sequel, that's even less like the games.

I'm very glad I didn't have to pay to see it, is all I'm sayin'.
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 08:45   #16
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
I'm so very much going to see this... i actually like watching movies that are REALLY bad (*cough* hostel 2 *cough*)...
not sure whether it'll be in the cinema though... might have to wait till it hits DVD
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 11:07   #17
Silver51
I cast flare!

Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
In Soviet Russia, Max Payne watches you.

I think this is a film I'll end up watching on DVD. The trailer looked decent enough and I liked the music they played over it. Anyhoo, don't 3D Realms have something else to do other than complain. Like finish a game that's been in development, seemingly, forever?
Silver51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 14:37   #18
Timmy_the_tortoise
International Man of Awesome

Timmy_the_tortoise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Considering the fact that I absolutely adored the original game, I've mixed feelings about this movie. I mean, I love movies, so seeing one of my favourite games of all time in movie form is something that appeals to me greatly. But I am of course worried about the faithfulness of the adaptation.

I will probably see it at the cinema, and try my best to enjoy it. I'll probably like it in one of two ways. As a great movie adaptation, or as a movie in its own right.

I'm hoping its a good movie, regardless of how well it handles the original material.
Q6600 @ 2.40GHz w/G0|Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R|2GB Crucial 667MHz DDR2|Powercolor Radeon HD4850|Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB|Scythe Ninja Mini|LG Blu-ray/HD DVD/DVD-RW Combo Drive|Corsair TX650W|Antec NSK2480
Pioneer VSX-417|2x Gale 3010|2x Yamaha NSP110| MS304W Centre | MS308 Subwoofer
Timmy_the_tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2008, 23:48   #19
Splynncryth
0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Splynncryth has yet to learn the way of the DremelSplynncryth has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I really can't understand why the writers, producers, and directors feel the need to 'leave their mark' on a story. It's been going on for a while, but at lease with all the old B&W movie adaptations of books, they didn't stray too far from the source.

I think there will only be 2 ways to get a game movie to not suck. One is to use machinima so the game itself makes sure the film sticks to the story. The other is to get the guys who did the design document involved as a major force in the film to try and keep it so the movie resembles its namesake.
Splynncryth is offline   Reply With Quote