bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 23rd Oct 2008, 10:04   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Far Cry 2 has cropped widescreen

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/10...d-widescreen/1

Uh-oh. We've seen this particular sequence of events before. It seems that, just like BioShock, Far Cry 2 has a problem with widescreen.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 10:09   #2
cjoyce1980
Supermodder

cjoyce1980 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
they can do it right for consoles... why not pc???
cjoyce1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 10:16   #3
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
consoles work on TV that are 16:9
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 10:25   #4
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh not this again. Stop whining about nothing.
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 10:29   #5
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
its not really nothing

the point about having a widescreen is to see that extra inch either side not to have the top and bottom removed. The Dev team know this so there is no excuse however this will be fixed i bet in patch .1
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 10:34   #6
Dreaming
Supermodder

Dreaming has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
In bioshock it was a concious design decision as they had set up the viewing angle for 16:9 and didn't want to spoil the cinematic effect or whatever by people being able to look further afield. It was just people didn't like that and wanted the full screen.

It's not really a big issue though.

C2D E6300 @ 2.8 | | Abit IP35 Pro | | 4GB Corsair XMS2 800 | | BFG 9800GT OC 1GB | | Antec NeoHE 550 | | Lian Li PC A05B (with top blowhole mod) | | LG 32LH4000 + Samsung 226BW 22"
Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 10:53   #7
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Nothing" and "not really a big issue"... hm...

If you spent good money on a high-end widescreen or particularly a TripleHead setup, would you really want to be playing Far Cry 2 with a vertical FOV that makes the game look like you're viewing it through a very narrow horizontal slit? Yes? No? Because when using TripleHead that is exactly what happens.

There is a reason why 'widescreen' is referred to as 'widescreen' rather than 'shortscreen' or referring to 4:3 monitors as 'tallscreens'. But those people who don't understand this, don't appear to want to understand this. So it's just another version of the ATi/nVidia or AMD/Intel or Piracy/Anti-piracy flam... um... debate.

As for effecting me... nope, it won't. It would if I bought the game, but as much as I want it, I'm standing firm to my decision to not support DRM employed in this fashion.
Paradigm Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 10:58   #8
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Don't you mean vertical slit? And when buying a widescreen aren't you buying a narrow vertical slit compared with the horizontal view?
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 10:59   #9
Bladestorm
Hypermodder

Bladestorm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That's a pretty big chunk of screen real-estate to lose going by the pictures, if I'm reading it right it also shrinks the text a few font sizes because it assumes you have a much bigger screen ? Given thats not something they can tell at all thats kind of annoying too.

(Edit add) It's a horizontal split because the top and bottom are chopped off and the rest stretched to fit however wide the screen is. Especially bad with triple-head-2-go where you have 3 standard monitors side-by-side and the same height you would have otherwise, you just have 3x the width - this daft sheme would chop off some of the top and bottom and stretch the middle bit of the screen up and down. If I'm understanding it right it won't even give you any extra width, just stretch the same ordinary width over three monitors with the reduced height 0_0

When I bought my widescreen I was really looking at a choice between sticking with 1280*1024 or going up to 1680*1050 since any bigger a standard monitor would have cost a lot more, so I gained a little tiny bit of height and a good chunk of width, using this scheme i end up with no extra width of view (just stretched over more space) and less height than the 1280*1024, thus feeling like looking through a letterbox.

Last edited by Bladestorm; 23rd Oct 2008 at 11:08.
Bladestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 11:06   #10
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
theres a ForceWidescreen="0" option in the config file, dunno if that helps
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 11:13   #11
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladestorm
If I'm understanding it right it won't even give you any extra width, just stretch the same ordinary width over three monitors with the reduced height 0_0
From the screenshots in the Surround Gaming section of WSGF, that's exactly what happens.

Half-Life 2 could get widescreen aspect ratio support correct... why can't newer games?
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 11:16   #12
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
theres a ForceWidescreen="0" option in the config file, dunno if that helps
My understanding is that that only forces a 10 second test.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 11:20   #13
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I think I'll decide what I think of this when I play the game..
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 11:25   #14
13eightyfour
Formerly Titanium Angel

13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.
the article states that it'll crop the top and bottom off a 16:9 display, but what about 16:10 am i missing something? will it only affect those with 16:9 monitors?
13eightyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 11:44   #15
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
This "chopping off" is useful only for multiplayer games, as every player has the same viewing angle regardless of monitor size. (left right, not up down)

Foir a single player game it's rubbish
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 11:52   #16
Azmat
Minimodder

Azmat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Chopping off" is not usefull, its useless. I'd rather have the battlefield solution of stretching the screen to the left & right. Or simply get black bars. Then you're even.
Either way, this solution of Ubisoft means one thing to me: deal breaker. Come on, it's not like not many people have widescreens these days...
Azmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 12:35   #17
Valver
Iím an AquaTuning product tester

Valver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's not whining over "nothing", its a serious screw up. Its also likely done wrongly on the console versions too.

There shouldn't even be a discussion about this. It's just not correct! Quite how Jamie and Dreaming can condone it is beyond me!

Vert- has the nasty side effect of altering the relative position of your eyes in game, making everything appear zoomed in and nearer. It often makes gamers feel detatched from their in game character and can lead to motion sickness (because your point of view isnt based where your characters head is!). All widescreen games should be Hor+

And the BioShock "artistic" answer was complete BS. They screwed up and tried to gloss over the mistake with that answer. Then someone hacked in a fix on the PC, everyone saw how it should've looked and thought it looked much nicer and eventually the BioShock guys were forced to release a proper fix.
Valver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 13:15   #18
Nictron
Multimodder

Nictron has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So to experience the game fully I must rather play it @ 1600x1200 on my 26" Samsung?

Luckily the Samsung monitor has a build in scaler that displays the image in the correct scaling ratio :-)
Nictron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 14:24   #19
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Shame.. I'll be holding out on this game until they have a patch.
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 16:38   #20
FeRaL
Multimodder

FeRaL has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nictron
So to experience the game fully I must rather play it @ 1600x1200 on my 26" Samsung?

Luckily the Samsung monitor has a build in scaler that displays the image in the correct scaling ratio :-)
Sounds like we have the same LCD, I love it!
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Autobiography of Mark Twain
FeRaL is offline   Reply With Quote