bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 23rd Oct 2008, 13:58   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Hardcore Computer launches immersion cooled PCs

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/10...n-cooled-pcs/1

Hardcore Computer, a USA based system builder, has launched the first total immersion coolant based systems.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 14:12   #2
WildThing
Hypermodder

WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Wow that's pretty cool, although I'm guessing it will be a while before/if it becomes mainstream.
Asus P8P67 PRO ¶ Intel i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz ¶ Titan Fenrir ¶ XFX 6950 @ 6970 ¶ 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz ¶ 2x Crucial C300 128GB (OS + Games) ¶ Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB ¶ Auzentech XFI-Prelude + Creative T7700 7.1¶ Enermax Liberty 500W ¶ Corsair 650D case ¶ HP 24" LP2475W ¶ Win7 x64
WildThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 14:44   #3
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
When are you getting one in for review?

Also - the radiator is cooled by fans, although it is very quiet.
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 15:42   #4
DaMightyMouse
Minimodder

DaMightyMouse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Cool beans, want one ... although replacing a part will be quiet tricky
DaMightyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 16:30   #5
Dr. Strangelove
Supermodder

Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Maybe I'm missing something but why are there tubes going to what looks like "old-style"water cooling heat blocks, surely the idea would be that the components that got hot would have air style heatsinks and the heat would be transferred to the liquid all around the system. Otherwise this would just be a "water" cooled system with "water" around it (guess makes it less of an issue if there is a leak )

have a look here http://www.hardcorecomputer.com/Prod...oryDetail.aspx (under the quality tab)
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 16:51   #6
Nikumba
Supermodder

Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove
Maybe I'm missing something but why are there tubes going to what looks like "old-style"water cooling heat blocks, surely the idea would be that the components that got hot would have air style heatsinks and the heat would be transferred to the liquid all around the system. Otherwise this would just be a "water" cooled system with "water" around it (guess makes it less of an issue if there is a leak )

have a look here http://www.hardcorecomputer.com/Prod...oryDetail.aspx (under the quality tab)
I see what you mean, I think this is probally needed to move the fluid over the CPU, as shifting all that fluid at a rate to move heat away I would imagine would need a hefty pump, this way they can keep a sustained flow over the hotter parts

Kimbie
Nikumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 16:55   #7
Dr. Strangelove
Supermodder

Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikumba View Post
I see what you mean, I think this is probally needed to move the fluid over the CPU, as shifting all that fluid at a rate to move heat away I would imagine would need a hefty pump, this way they can keep a sustained flow over the hotter parts

Kimbie
Sure but with all the engineering that has gone into making this.. you would think they could come up with a cooler (pardon the pun) solution. Maybe use the pumps to just shift the coolant around the case?
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 16:56   #8
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I think we decided in the other thread that it was for performance since the pre cooled oil is dumped directly on to the hottest parts of the unit.
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 17:18   #9
Dr. Strangelove
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg View Post
I think we decided in the other thread that it was for performance since the pre cooled oil is dumped directly on to the hottest parts of the unit.
To me that just ruins the whole thing.. I would even take a performance hit to make it work without waterblocks...
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 17:55   #10
Xenith
Minimodder

Xenith has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i would love to see someone here at bit-tech do a project with the pc components completely immersed in a coolant >.>
really i just want to see how its done and what kind of precautions and such need to be taken when doing something like that ^.^
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 18:12   #11
_DTM2000_
Senior Super Douche

_DTM2000_ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Droool, I really want one of those. I'd have to see some benchmark scores etc first though.
Seen as they even custom make the motherboard, it would be interesting to see how it compairs against similar spec systems.

I bet the shipping to the UK is a killer though, seen as they weigh over 50KG.
Not to mention the hefty import tax bill you'll get raped for by Mr Darling.
_DTM2000_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 18:14   #12
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
How is the PSU hooked up and working in these conditions? Can someone explain? I know the liquid is non conductive but still wouldn't it normally do something terrible to the PSU?
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 18:41   #13
Nikumba
Supermodder

Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess
How is the PSU hooked up and working in these conditions? Can someone explain? I know the liquid is non conductive but still wouldn't it normally do something terrible to the PSU?
Not really, the PSU i imagine will either be in the fluid or sit out of it, either way if the fluid is non conductive, there will be no problems. If you saw the danger men program on C5 last week, you would have seen them washing 500,000 volt powerlines in a helo with pure water with no issues, so i dont see how a small 240v psu will casue problems
Nikumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 19:16   #14
Thacrudd
Where's the any key?!?

Thacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run CrysisThacrudd can run Crysis
The PSU is immersed as well. If you read the interview, there's actually 2 PSUs in there! This is way cool, I'd love to have one. These guys did it right.
Thacrudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 20:26   #15
themax
Ultramodder

themax has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Maybe it's because I'm not a huge computer buff in the sense of overclocking and such, but what is the point of a $5000 Immersion cooled computer?

It definately looks cool, and sounds nice to have, but it's priced way, way out of what I could afford. For $5000 I would rather pay closing costs on a house or make a downpayment on a car. I don't think things like this really help the PC market when so many manufacturers price optimized gaming hardware/setups out of the mainstream reach. Sorry, just had to say that. Again, that whole setup is definately cool, but way too expensive.
CoD4 Class "Ghost" - MP5 Silenced/ UAV Jammer/ Silent Step
Shhh be very very qwuiet....I'm hunting snipers....
themax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 21:04   #16
Dr. Strangelove
Supermodder

btw I remember being part of the group discussing the original immersion computers (on overclockers.com and one problem was the caps which "pop'ed" after some time ... is this solved??
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 21:31   #17
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...corepc_reactor

lotsa very pretty pictures...
ASUS Z97i-Plus - 4670K - 8GB DDR3 - Zotac GTX 970 - Crucial MX100 256GB - Corsair 250D [Modded]
www.pecelayam.com
Redbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 21:57   #18
metarinka
I *am* a Dremel

metarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysis
octools has done this before... crica 2000 http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?cal...ubmersion.html

for the record you can put every solid state piece of equipment under the coolant including the power supply. In fact many transformers for power lines are oil submerged.

The problem with say submersion cooling over directed cooling is that you're adding a lot of waste heat to the system. For example you can buy a perfectly reasonable air cooled powersupply that is silent and has no need for further cooling. By submersion cooling this part all you are doing is adding more heat that needs to be extracted. Same goes for south bridges, and other smaller controller chips that don't need additional cooling.

That being said it is a nice looking case. I've always wanted to build a partial submersion rig using transformer oil
metarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2008, 01:19   #19
Lazarus Dark
Supermodder

Lazarus Dark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Somebody has to say it...

But can it...

Bitstream HD audio?

Seriously, in my professional opinion... This is pretty fricking cool. (no pun intended)

I don't mean submersion. It's been done. I've got some drafts around here I did for one a couple years ago, though I never got around to building it. It's just very difficult to do and be practical.
But this. This, I am impressed with. It is sleek, well designed, fully thought out (the handles for removing the mobo are genius). I have not even considered buying a prebuilt in five years, I wouldn't even get one of the fancy ones if I won a million dollars... until this one. Starting at five grand? So, they are selling this at cost? My guess is, these guys just wanted one for themselves and throw out the R&D time and cost as just fun time (wouldn't you enjoy such work?). The case is gorgeous and the exclusivity would be an egotrip. I love the whole design, from the board to the way the vid cards mount, to the cord management. This is some fine looking case.

I would though really love to see some benchmarks comparisons, especially if this is really a custom mobo.
Old 24th Oct 2008, 01:33   #20
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Looks cool. Only time will tell if it truly creates a niche in the market. Regardless, advances on already existing ideas are always a positive push forward in our discovery of the next great invention.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Antec 850W TruePower Quattro - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote