1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MS: No more Xbox 360 price drops planned

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Nov 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I'll belive that when i see it. They should really caveat these statements, "No more price cuts.. till after Christmas, maybe even after summer"

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

meh, they'll keep the pricing the same and keep bundling stuff with it, change the HDD sizes, redesign the hardware, etc.

the price point is pretty good, tbh. plus if the margin increases, supermarkets discount it "unofficially" (this is what MS want them to do anyway - a 'discount' off the RRP always looks more appealing than a low RRP anyway) leading to uber sales.

4. Spiny

Spiny What's a Dremel?

How about upping the reliability?

5. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

yeah, for now there won't be any cuts, but surely when they see the need (ps3 price cuts, overall manufacturing efficiency), there will be more price cuts, I figure they are just saying that to flatten out rumors about Christmas price cuts for the 360,playing it safe by pointing out there wont be any price cuts for years to come.

6. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

I'll consider geting one when it becomes less noisy, more reliable and allows free online play. Until then I'm satisfied with my PC and PS3.

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

You probably won't ever get one then

8. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

And I'll get a PS3 when it has more than 3 exclusives I care about and a decent online community. Till then I'll stick to my PC and 360.

Honestly once FFXIII was no longer exclusive, I could have cared less about the PS3. That was the only game which could have made me buy one. For all of the 360's hardware faults, it is the king is terms of it's game library. In the end that is all that matters.

9. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

exactly how i feel too.

still -- like other people have said, i just think the bundles will change and places will end up selling them discounted anyway. can't see why i'm thinking about the price of a console i've bought twice in three years. unless it breaks outside of warranty again, heh.

10. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Why drop the price more if the competition is priced higher on initial cost? And since they can says things like "Only $199.99!" [vs. $399.99] though not a fair comparison....Until Sony reacts MS won't need to do any more than they already have is how I see it....

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

with no hard drive it is as useful as a chocolate fork....

12. Malvolio

Malvolio .

...which all depends upon the application.

Needing something sweet thats a perfect pick-me-up, one that fits neatly into your hand, has all the flavour you could ever need, and is rather cost-effective? You're set!

Use the same chocolate fork to conquer the Russian military, and you're a bit out of your league however...

Unless them bears like chocolate ;)

13. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

does this surprise anyone? you can't really go lower than $199. i predict that the PS3 will get a price cut before the summer, and that the $199 xbox configuration will get a hard drive in response to that.

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Well I would have thought a price point equal to the Wii but with a 20Gb hard drive would have been better than the arcade, the arcade is just rubbish.

15. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

The 360 is great at that pricepoint, now if only they could just bite the additional cost and make the HDD mandatory... Give it out with the arcades and give it free to people with no HDD (they have an offer for arcade owners in the US, that if no large storage devices were connected since the last XBL update they can get a free 20GB HDD. So they proved they CAN track this data)

Shouldn't cost them that much and would improve things greatly!

The fact the PS3 can accept any hard drive is the only thing (apart from obvious initial 360 reliability issues) i think the PS3 got right IMHO, i so wish MS would follow their lead in this one fact, i'd upgrade the HDD to something huge and fast in a flash (especially with the upcoming 'save game to HDD feature')

Soooo looking forward to the new XBL update, solely for the save-to-HDD part... loading from optical media (combined with miniscule system RAM) makes consoles so unbearably slow loading compared to PC's :)

Last edited: 4 Nov 2008
  16. slugbug

slugbug Going Broke Saving Money

I just wish MS would get off their butts and release an external Blu Ray player already. Hey here's an idea, how about giving us a $75 credit when we trade in our external HD DVD player.

Tags: Add Tags