bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 4th Nov 2008, 14:04   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Fallout 3 outsells all previous Fallout games

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/11...allout-games/1

Recent sales figures show Fallout 3 topping the charts on all platforms in the UK and outselling all previous Fallout games combined.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2008, 14:15   #2
UrbanMarine
Government Prostitute

UrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the DremelUrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Figures Bethesda would make money off other Devs street credit.
Old 4th Nov 2008, 14:19   #3
Bladestorm
Hypermodder

Bladestorm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
According to sales figures around 55 percent of those sales were done on the Xbox 360, 28 percent were done on the PlayStation 3 and only 17 percent on the PC. Looks like Bethesda was right to aim the game at the Xbox 360 then, from a financial point of view anyway.
Perhaps, though this rather assumes that pc gamers weren't put off by the lacklustre porting as pointed out by most of the reviews I've seen thus far. I know I haven't rushed out to buy it since I'd rather wait till modders have had a chance to fix it (and I have a new graphics card more capable of running it and maybe the price has dropped )
Old 4th Nov 2008, 14:22   #4
UrbanMarine
Government Prostitute

UrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the DremelUrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It should of just stayed a PC game at first and then ported to consoles.
I guess they prefer to use the <<EASY BUTTON>>
Old 4th Nov 2008, 14:24   #5
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
WHo care's if it's been multi-platform released? I'm enjoying Fallout 3 so much on PC it's untrue. Joe and I come into the office in the morning and spend a good few mins gushing about all the awesome stuff we found in the wasteland last night.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2008, 14:24   #6
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMarine
Oh yes, I'm sure the hundreds of thousands of people who have rushed out to buy the game did it because of Fallout 1 and 2, not that it's by the makers of Oblivion.

Yup, that makes loads of sense to me.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2008, 14:27   #7
Fod
what is the cheesecake?

Fod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run Crysis
Yeah it's OK but <elitist statement about PC gaming making me sound like a total *****>, NOW LOVE ME BECAUSE I AM COOL.

in truth, i haven't started playing it yet. waiting for a quiet time in the release schedule.

Last edited by Fod; 4th Nov 2008 at 14:50.
Fod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2008, 14:35   #8
Kúsař
regular bit-tech reader

Kúsař has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I hope that this is clear message to EA, ubisoft, epic and others - it's quality that matters! Not DRM. Since it's using "old" securom copy protection - it was probably cracked at the same hour it was released...

...and I shall improve PC sales soon
Kúsař is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2008, 15:03   #9
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMarine View Post
Eeerm... Slight bootstrapping issue there, dear chap. Fallout 3 has sold more than all the other Fallout games combined. If Bethesda had simply "[made] money off other Devs street credit" then surely they would only have sold to existing Fallout fans - i.e. people who have already bought at least one of the existing games. In which case, they wouldn't have sold more than the original Fallout, much less than all the pre-existing games in the franchise combined.
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2008, 15:05   #10
UrbanMarine
Government Prostitute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul View Post
Oh yes, I'm sure the hundreds of thousands of people who have rushed out to buy the game did it because of Fallout 1 and 2, not that it's by the makers of Oblivion.

Yup it wasn't the whole Fallout story, environment, features and theme that didn't pull people in either or that FPSs have high sales numbers.

@Gareth. Some people don't want to go buy the original game to get the full backstory and just buy the newest thing. They heard the originals were awesome so they figure the next in the series will be better. Hence street credit. Like Bauul said it could be because of Oblivion. Maybe it's because of the current age of the gamer? I bought it because of past Fallouts.

Maybe I'm too big of a fan of the originals and I hate it when companies going in the toilet sell out to the highest bidder. Being a huge fan of Fallout, I'd rather of seen Interplay keep the rights in the video game graveyard or sold them to Black Isle. But hey what do I know....I've only been gaming for 15yrs and have 100+ games in my collection.

Last edited by UrbanMarine; 4th Nov 2008 at 17:30.
UrbanMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2008, 15:40   #11
Tyrmot
Supermodder

Tyrmot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
WHo care's if it's been multi-platform released? I'm enjoying Fallout 3 so much on PC it's untrue. Joe and I come into the office in the morning and spend a good few mins gushing about all the awesome stuff we found in the wasteland last night.
Yeah ditto, I love the first 2 and have played them through many a time and am pretty pleasantly surprised by this. Granted, the UI really is atrocious but I've gotta say, the Fallout vibe is definitely there, and its a really different style from the last 2 which is no bad thing. It doesn't beat F2 for pure genius gaming but it's definitely a great experience! The feeling of being in a post-nuclear wasteland and scrounging every last item to get by is unmatched, and I find myself pretty apprehensive sometimes as I'm cruising the ruins of DC watching every corner for super mutants

Considering the butchery that could have been perpetrated on a sequel like this (Invisible War anyone?) I think Bethesda have done a pretty good job of it really, and i'm enjoying some first-person Falloutage more than I thought I would (although I'd still love to see a proper, Van Buren-style sequel someday).

ps - I'm also of the opinion that if releasing this on the Xbox/PS3 makes x hundred thousand people know what Fallout is that is no bad thing at all. Hopefully after this they'll all shoot on over to GOG.com and buy the first 2 as well!
Tyrmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2008, 15:41   #12
rjkoneill
Supermodder

rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rjkoneill is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
but i thought we were all [sarcasm]pirates[/sarcasm]
Old 4th Nov 2008, 15:59   #13
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
But hey what do I know....I've only been gaming for 15yrs and have 100+ games in my collection.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2008, 16:01   #14
UrbanMarine
Government Prostitute

lol...now I know why I spend most of my work day on these forums. Plus I'm not saying I'm a gaming master. I'm just saying I've played through generations of gaming to see the changes.

Last edited by UrbanMarine; 4th Nov 2008 at 17:57.
UrbanMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2008, 16:44   #15
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Quote:
But hey what do I know....I've only been gaming for 15yrs and have 100+ games in my collection.
actual lol
Gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2008, 16:50   #16
Yemerich
I can has PERSUADETRON?

Yemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMarine

Not one, but i think it's the mix of them both. I for one will buy it because I am a huge fan of the past FOs. And there's a legion of ppl like myself for sure.

That doesn't mean it wouldn't sell because of the Beth's success on previous works.

Another thing to point is that we can't compare sales for games like they were ten years ago. There are much more players now, and it's not a thing to be ashamed of like it used to be 10~20 years ago. Now those boys are parents themselves and play with their kids, like myself.

Anyway, congrats on the sales Beth, but I still have to see if it deserves the name Fallout with my own eyes!
Hades (Best advanced casemod design CP-Brazil 2010)

Take a look on my projects here.
Yemerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2008, 16:59   #17
salesman
Multimodder

salesman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsalesman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Quote:
made my day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasteland_(computer_game) i don't know how to make it a sticky but there's the link of the game i would like to see Brian Fargo actually come through with. The predecessor to fallout. I thought i just bring that up in a fallout 3 thread.
E8400 3.0GHz | ASRock P45X3 Deluxe | EVGA 570 GTX | 8 GB GSkill memory | Crucial M4 64GB Boot Drive | 3x Samsung F3 1TB Raid 0 | 2x Samsung F4EG 1.5TB Raid 0 | Corsair AX750 PSU | Noctua NH-U12P | Antec P180 | M-Audio Audiophile 192 | Marantz PM5004 | Cambridge Soundworks Speakers | Duckey Shine | Dell U2410 |
salesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2008, 18:38   #18
Dreaming
Supermodder

Dreaming has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
I know, it's so ****ing amazing I can't stop playing!

C2D E6300 @ 2.8 | | Abit IP35 Pro | | 4GB Corsair XMS2 800 | | BFG 9800GT OC 1GB | | Antec NeoHE 550 | | Lian Li PC A05B (with top blowhole mod) | | LG 32LH4000 + Samsung 226BW 22"
Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2008, 19:13   #19
Javerh
Topiary Golem

Javerh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My brother has it on PS3. It seems awesome. Despite that I'm waiting for a new pc to fully enjoy playing it and don't want to waste the experience on playing with a crappy pc or in a crowded living room.
Modders make project logs. Project logs make mods. Mods make modders.
Javerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2008, 19:33   #20
frontline
Punish Your Machine

frontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfrontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Does the 17% for PC sales include those copies sold on Steam? That's where i bought my copy from.
Intel Core i7 2600K| Asus P8P67-M PRO R3 | Corsair H70 Hydro Series CPU Cooler |Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.65V | Sapphire HD 6990 4GB GDDR5 | Crucial M225 128Gb SSD | Asus Xonar DX | LG W2261VP | Corsair GS800 PSU
frontline is offline   Reply With Quote