bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 7th Nov 2008, 11:01   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Activision: Exploitation has worked well for us

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/11...-well-for-us/1

Activision isn't ashamed that it has been exploiting successful franchises. Not at all. According to CEO Bobby Kotick, it's a good strategy.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2008, 11:14   #2
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ug, no thanks.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2008, 11:22   #3
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Kotick explained why certain new titles were abandoned when Activision took over Vivendi, namely Brutal Legend, Ghostbusters and 50 Cent.
Wait a minute, I thought they said Ghostbusters wasn't being dropped?

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2008, 11:25   #4
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

So, Activision goes the clone way and EA goes the DRM way.
Nice...
Old 7th Nov 2008, 11:27   #5
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ghostbusters has been purchased by Atari

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2008, 11:38   #6
Kúsař
regular bit-tech reader

Kúsař has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If they could create new game series like Quake, Call Of Duty or whatever - why not?

However, I hate sequels which are kind of "...strikes back...again!". It's only ruining story.
Kúsař is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2008, 12:24   #7
Crunch77
Modder

Crunch77 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Fair play for being honest about it.
Crunch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2008, 12:32   #8
Sathy
Multimodder

Sathy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Suppose "less is more" could apply here, but the question is less of what and more for who?

If it means they will focus on releasing less, but higher quality, games, including new IP, then everyone benefits - which quite frankly doesn't seem to be the case here.

If it turns out this ideology only leads to "more of the same" games of varying quality and a more sequel oriented design where their games end with "to be continued..." I have to wonder how they plan to keep their business running.

That's underestimating gamers if anything is. Or it might just be that I'm overestimating them

I for one will think twice before buying anything from them if it does turn out as it seems.
Old 7th Nov 2008, 14:24   #9
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEdey View Post
Ghostbusters has been purchased by Atari
Thank god for that, I thought I was losing it (my mind, not the game that is ).

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2008, 14:27   #10
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Mental note, no need to buy another Activision game ever or until that moron is gone.

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2008, 15:14   #11
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Kotick said that the company now only planned to focus on games that they would still be able to produce sequels to ten years from now, saying that rising development costs were a huge factor in that decision.
BS, if you want to make the Sequel a quality Game it will cost just as much to develop as something new and if you dont invest enough in the sequel you will just end up with a debacle, see ea and nfs for a example.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2008, 16:15   #12
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Activision has just lost it's previous reputation in my eyes. I guess I'm going to be sticking only to Valve from now on.
Old 7th Nov 2008, 16:18   #13
Bluephoenix
Spoon? What spoon?

Bluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for president
well, now I have yet another reason to avoid call of duty 5, not only is it a clone of COD4, it offers very little new stuff and would only support these idiots.
Bluephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2008, 20:28   #14
Vash-HT
Multimodder

Vash-HT has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by naokaji
Quote:
Kotick said that the company now only planned to focus on games that they would still be able to produce sequels to ten years from now, saying that rising development costs were a huge factor in that decision.
BS, if you want to make the Sequel a quality Game it will cost just as much to develop as something new and if you dont invest enough in the sequel you will just end up with a debacle, see ea and nfs for a example.
I think he's just saying they want to focus on fewer franchises, not that sequels will cost less to make.
Vash-HT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2008, 21:32   #15
Darkefire
Multimodder

Darkefire has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't particularly mind the CoD sequels, I'd just prefer they continue to be made by Infinity Ward instead of the other crap studios Activision keeps farming them out to. If you ignore the "Call of Duty __" on the front of the box and think of them as standalone games then it's not so bad, but Activision needs to realize that there's only so far you can push a particular game; Guitar Hero has just about reached the same critical mass that Dance Dance Revolution did before it, and they're in serious danger of over-saturating the market. I love GH as much as the next guy, but I start to feel insulted when they just assume that we'll go out every year and buy the new one just for the new songs (like EA does with Madden and co.). Ironically, they'd probably make more if they just stuck to DLC for new songs; just release a bundle every month or so and let the cash flow right in.
Darkefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2008, 22:42   #16
RDST
He who wonders...

RDST has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I agree, over saturating the market with games that are all to similar is going to be a big mistake for Activision. The is especially the case with Guitar Hero as the new ones do not offer anything new (besides more songs and titles). Call of Duty hasn't yet fallen into this yet, but it sure could go that way. Especially since Activision seems to be keen on lending its star IP out to other developers. Do we really need more of the same?
RDST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2008, 03:47   #17
Sparrowhawk
Wetsander

Sparrowhawk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Click here for source.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2008, 07:35   #18
Bluephoenix
Spoon? What spoon?

Bluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
win
Bluephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2008, 09:45   #19
Amon
inch-perfect

Amon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So everyone's up in arms about Activision exploiting endless franchises, yet hardly anybody quipped at nVidia exploiting a fundamentally competition-free market not long ago. What, did all the gamers in the whole industry decide to self-inform this very moment?
Amon is offline   Reply With Quote