bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Nov 2008, 13:01   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
EVE Online to get huge expansion

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/11...ge-expansion/1

CCP has announced that EVE Online, the largest and most complex of the MMOs, is to get a new expansion.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2008, 14:01   #2
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
excellent
Gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2008, 14:04   #3
ozstrike
yip yip yip yip

ozstrike has yet to learn the way of the Dremelozstrike has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmm, might start playing again when this comes out. Looks interesting.
Old 10th Nov 2008, 14:26   #4
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I tried EVE a while back and I really couldn't get into it. Sure it looks amazing, one of the best things out there in terms of the look and feel of space but the mission structure and navigation just left me with a feeling of 'ok, so now what?'

I have thought of giving it another crack but unfortunately I don't have the time anymore
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2008, 14:58   #5
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
-1 for no live fanfest coverage this year
Old 10th Nov 2008, 16:02   #6
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Going to re-sub as soon as this gets released
Old 10th Nov 2008, 17:01   #7
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Played the Beta and loved it, but the monthly cost fended me off.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2008, 17:05   #8
GavX
Hypermodder

GavX has yet to learn the way of the DremelGavX has yet to learn the way of the DremelGavX has yet to learn the way of the DremelGavX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Played the last one but it just seemed like a bit of a grind fest until you get high enough up to join clans etc, still some of it was a good laugh, my destroyer was ace! (ok, it would die in the blink of an eye to most other things, but it looked cool...)
Again Xir hit the nail on the head, 10 a month is a fair bit of cash and it does need ALOT of time and commitment
GavX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2008, 17:05   #9
OnyxLilninja
Multimodder

OnyxLilninja has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
CCP has given us 5 years of free EVE updates... the best having just been released giving epic battles that before would lag awfully, now totally playable (1000 people fighting...). Awesome company, awesome game.
Old 10th Nov 2008, 17:31   #10
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
The only thing that puts me off is the fetchy price.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2008, 18:05   #11
Xen0phobiak
SMEGHEADS!

Xen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the DremelXen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the DremelXen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavX
Played the last one but it just seemed like a bit of a grind fest until you get high enough up to join clans etc, still some of it was a good laugh, my destroyer was ace! (ok, it would die in the blink of an eye to most other things, but it looked cool...)
Again Xir hit the nail on the head, 10 a month is a fair bit of cash and it does need ALOT of time and commitment
10 isn't a lot tbh. I used to run 3 accounts until I ran out of time to play.

World of Tanks profile
Xen0phobiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2008, 18:17   #12
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess View Post
The only thing that puts me off is the fetchy price.
The monthly price? It enables them to keep bringing out free content updates, more then worth it IMO considering most other MMOs (WoW) charge you monthly AND charge you for expansions.
Old 10th Nov 2008, 18:30   #13
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The price is OK but it is too much of a grindfest. I simply don't have that sort of time in my personal life.

I love the graphics and like the whole coherent feel of that universe, but I'd like something that I can dip in and out of for short spells when I have some time to play with, and that is not all about shooting at each other.

Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2008, 18:59   #14
Torwald
Minimodder

Torwald has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Monthly costs ? Err... I play from May and I have bought ONE game time card for real money All other GTC were bought for ISK...
You CAN play for free, you know...

About EVE: I LOVE IT No "WoW-kids" around, because EVE is too complicated for them (and no fancy-looking swords'n'stuff :P).
Am I wrong, or CPP is going to launch this expansion FREE to all paying users ?
Torwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2008, 20:52   #15
Xen0phobiak
SMEGHEADS!

Xen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the DremelXen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the DremelXen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
All eve expansions are free.

World of Tanks profile
Xen0phobiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2008, 20:52   #16
koola
Eat my...

koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
CCP is also working to streamline the game experience, enabling new players to get up and into space a lot quicker and define their character in the first few days of play.
More like dumbing it down. I'm still a bit miffed at CCP about the whole ghost skilltraining nerf.

It's still welcome news though.
Old 10th Nov 2008, 21:14   #17
13en
Multimodder

13en has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torwald View Post
Monthly costs ? Err... I play from May and I have bought ONE game time card for real money All other GTC were bought for ISK...
Is that legit? Or is it a bit dodgy, like the people who just sell ISK? Also roughly how much is it per month? Say earnable with a cruiser? The could just tempt me back...
13en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2008, 21:42   #18
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13en
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torwald View Post
Is that legit? Or is it a bit dodgy, like the people who just sell ISK? Also roughly how much is it per month? Say earnable with a cruiser? The could just tempt me back...
Current game time cards will run you about 500 to 600 million isk for 60 days, so you really need to be earning 10 million isk a day, more if you want to buy new skills and ships and everything else, you basically end up playing to play, just grinding more to be able to carry on playing. Also they are making the 60 day time cards splitable so that people can buy 30 days ingame, whether this will bring prices down or up know one knows, but they will probably go up as they will be buyable on the ingame market = everyone will have access to buy them, no need to go through forum and talk to people, you just buy they as you would anything else ingame.

As for whether you could do that in a cruiser, I would say no.
Old 11th Nov 2008, 00:54   #19
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
and that is not all about shooting at each other.
I played EVE for a while and I don't think I've ever shot anyone

Unfortuneately I don't really have the time or money for it anymore, was going to get a carrier, oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.

Last edited by Veles; 11th Nov 2008 at 01:18.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2008, 04:57   #20
metarinka
I *am* a Dremel

metarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysis
I played the game but a few things put me off
A) the lack of chagne in environment. The space scapes where stunning but all of them consisted of an empty zone with maybe a few asteroids, no real interesting deviation that affected combat
B) Bad risk-reward schemes for deep space and the likes. I happen to be a huge fan of pvp and I don't even mind loosing ships (something I almost never did) but the rewards for going into deep space are usually out stripped by the massive risks.

it was a fun game and i loved the detailed economy and being in a corporation but some things just made it very slow at times, for minimal rewards
metarinka is offline   Reply With Quote