bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th Nov 2008, 11:40   #1
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Adobe previews 64-bit Flash

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/11...64-bit-flash/1

Adobe has released a preview version of a native 64-bit Flash Player binary for Linux, allowing users on 64-bit systems to use completely native binaries when browsing the web.

Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2008, 11:51   #2
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
So you get fancy flash64 inside a 32bit browser.. wow!
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2008, 11:58   #3
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Your browser would also be 64bit on a 64bit Linux system.
Old 19th Nov 2008, 11:58   #4
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan View Post
So you get fancy flash64 inside a 32bit browser.. wow!
no, the primary reason nobody uses a 64bit version of their chosen browser is theres no 64bit flash plugin
how about you try RTFA?
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2008, 11:59   #5
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Nice! Tho I've never really come round to install a 64bit version of an OS on my box.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2008, 17:00   #6
crispy
What's a Dremel?

crispy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Can't wait till they have the Windows version. Finally the world realizes that there are 64bit hardware and operating systems.

The 32bit Flash refuses to install with IE64bit and is a battle to install with IE32bit on XP64. Of course there is no problem using 32bit Flash with FireFox and XP64.
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2008, 18:44   #7
Whalemeister
is so hot right now!

Whalemeister has yet to learn the way of the DremelWhalemeister has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
about bloody time really, what took them so long???!!!!!!
Old 19th Nov 2008, 18:50   #8
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.
Gareth - Here are the instructions I used for my Ubuntu64 box, they worked perfectly:-

http://www.sharms.org/blog/?p=265
IanW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2008, 19:22   #9
deltaworld
Multimodder

deltaworld has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
When will the day when everything is 64-bit.. This move in technology is moving so slowly. You can definately see it move but it is just taking it's time. If I remember rightly, the move from 16-bit to 32-bit was a much more sudden move.

As you can see now more and more PC builders are building PC's and installing Vista 64-bit as default to support the 4GB+ RAM that the spec comes with due to RAM being so cheap now. Plus more and more applications are needing high RAM usage so 64-bit will be the norm. We can see that Photoshop CS4 on windows is 64-bit native and hopefully the whole of CS5 will be 64-bit native in the future.

Games: Again this is taking forever. But we can see the developers of Crysis have been at the forefront at this with Crysis and Far Cry running natively on 64-bit.

Come on developers, stop faffing about and just start developing the applications for 64 bit and everyone will move to 64-bit.
deltaworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2008, 20:53   #10
Woodstock
So Say We All

Woodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming Saiyan
about fluffing time tbh, at least it appears to be working, went to try you tube as thats one of the few places that I need flash, and its loading slowly but thats a different issue
Old 19th Nov 2008, 20:55   #11
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
Too little, way too late... I hate flash, and this isn't going to change it...

If you need flash on a website to achieve an effect, you overdid it and lost my interest...
Old 19th Nov 2008, 22:03   #12
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW View Post
Gareth - Here are the instructions I used for my Ubuntu64 box, they worked perfectly:-
http://www.sharms.org/blog/?p=265
Cheers, Ian - awesome link. That'll come in handy when I get around to trying it!
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2008, 22:55   #13
crazybob
Voice of Reason

crazybob has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcrazybob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
Too little, way too late... I hate flash, and this isn't going to change it...
If you need flash on a website to achieve an effect, you overdid it and lost my interest...
This has always been my opinion as well. There are certainly pages which look very nice because of their use of flash, but they tend to be harder to use rather than easier. Aside from running slowly, pages done entirely in flash destroy long-held navigation conventions. Want to send a friend a link to a particular page? No, sorry. I also tend to open several links in tabs as I read through a page, and go to each subpage in turn, rather than using forward/back navigation. This is impossible with flash. Yes, my usage is atypical. However, as my usage is perfectly acceptable within longstanding internet conventions, it isn't fair to break it.

That aside, it's good to hear about any software finally being introduced in 64-bit versions. It's not entirely necessary for many programs, as most tasks don't benefit a great deal from 64-bit processing, but as long as the change doesn't actually slow things down it's a perfectly admirable goal.
crazybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2008, 23:48   #14
<A88>
Trust the Computer

<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis
64bit flash? Hold on Adobe, I think you're jumping the gun a bit- you sure the market's ready for it?
<A88> is offline   Reply With Quote