1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD's 45nm CPUs are designed to overclock

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 21 Nov 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'll be waiting for some reviews from you fine chaps before I make up my mind as to whether I bother with this new batch.

All these numbers sound nice, but I've not seen any hard evidence to back them up, yet.

3. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

In the words of the immortal legend, Alan Partridge:

"Let battle commence."

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

I think it's best to wait... don't want to get too excited at this point, otherwise we'll all get caught with weiner in hand like we did when Phenom launched. :)

5. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

That's rather interesting, since I do believe that transistors do not function at all below approximately -120 dec C.

I don't remember the exact temperatures, but I know it's true for BJT devices. It may not be so for MOS devices. I'l try and look them up at work tomorrow.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well if that was the case, there would be no extreme OC with LN2 action ;)

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

True enough.

That said, I'm not overly disappointed in the performance of my Phenom, but hey. It still wasn't what was promised.

8. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

Whoops, found some info.

BJT devices do indeed degrade in performance at cryogenic temperatures. However, MOS devices apparently improve, so never mind.

9. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

Not so. Even when using LN2, the chip does not entirely reach the temperature of the LN2. You have temperature differentials across whatever mechanism you are using to transfer head from the chip's die to the LN.

10. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

I think i will start to upgrade to this new level though... the SB600 SB is sucking right now. Although DFI now has the 790FX NB with SB750 SB out now.... hmmm....

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

Generally, something will stop working by the time the bottom of your LN2 pot reaches -130... although some might hit closer to -140. If you drop below -145 without things becoming dysfunctional, that's an exceptional circumstance IMO.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes true but nitrogen liquifies at -180C, so the chances of hitting -100 are high when you've got a big copper blob firmly bolted to a lapped CPU.

EDIT: Well Tim applies real world to my Chemistry degree :p

13. Greenie

Greenie What's a Dremel?

When I think of Partridge, I hear "AAGHGGH! It's hotter than the sun!" lets hope they get the TDP down!

14. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

The last generation Phenom wasnt a bad cpu.. it just wasnt as good as intel's offerings at the time. I hope that this new Phenom (new name needed as well really) is as good as some people believe, as competition will be good for us all.

I find the i7 platfrom VERY expensive. £260 for an entry (yet very powerful) processor ? When the e6750 (now e8400 etc) was all the rage, I didnt pay anywhere near £260 for it. Nor did I spend >£200 on a motherboard either. Then there is DDR3 (6GB = £200) . If an AMD platform costs less overall and is within spitting distance of Intel... then I would definitely buy it.

15. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Totally agree. I have been waiting for AMD to become the nimble foe they once were. I'm still using a 2500+ for God's sake. I hate Intel even though they do make good stuff. £260 is too expensive for an entry, I agree, and that's what happens when there isn't competition.....

16. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

If you get things cold enough, don't they start to superconduct?
    Could be speaking utter pants but its just a random factoid (or is it a fictionoid? :D) that is floating about in my head.

Anyway, I'm keen to see how well this latest round of CPUs from AMD perform.
    I like the idea of them actually listening to what people (well, OCers anyway) want. :)

17. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Does a "cpu that is meant to be overclocked" means that it come to the shops underclocked?

In other words, is it underpowered?

18. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Umm... yes, but nowhere nearly as warm as the temperatures obtained by liquid Nitrogen. The highest temperature superconductors still only obtain that state at temperatures around -220C.

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Well either way I am glad to see a 4ghz on air coming from AMD but they are still doing things a bit to slow, they need to step up the AM3 because the longer they wait the farther Intel will get with releasing something that will be better at the time AM3 launches ~_~

Anyhow the Phenom II for AM2+ is certainly on my list to upgrade too, I have the 9950BE on ASUS latest board and Im loving it so I cant wait to get my hands on the new 45 ^__^

20. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Hmm, interesting. Wonder how well these will work on my £50 Abit micro-ATX motherboard with a 780G chipset and SB700 :)

Tags: Add Tags