bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 1st Dec 2008, 12:26   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
New screens promise 40-hour notebooks

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/12...ur-notebooks/1

Pixel Qi has announced a new range of low-power LCD displays that could boost laptop battery life up to ten times - meaning 40 hours between charges.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2008, 12:36   #2
StephenK
Sneak 'em Upper

StephenK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks very exciting indeed. I'll be getting one of these for my EeePc then
Intel e6600 - 4gb Corsair Twin2X 6400C4 DDR2 - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro + Silver 5 - Gainward GTX260 Golden Sample 896MB - Dell U2410 + iiyama E2200WS - Black Coolermaster ATCS 840 - Corsair HX620 - Asus P5B Deluxe - 1tb F3 - 1tb F1 - 320gb T166 - X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Creative Inspire T6100 - Razer Lycosa and Razer Mamba
StephenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2008, 12:51   #3
M4RTIN
Ultramodder

M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!M4RTIN - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
arent the olpc screens a bit like e-ink, they only take power when something changes.. all you need for something like an ultramobile though forweb browsing and whatnot
M4RTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2008, 13:51   #4
n3mo
Multimodder

n3mo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well, this won't work. Do a simple test - turn off your EEE's screen and see how long it will go on battery. You might hit 8-9 hours or so, but no longer. Today's LED-backlit screens are pretty good power-savers as they are.
They are probably developing some kind of bi-stable TFT screens (same as so called "e-ink") which use less energy than "normal" screens, but they still need some when the picture changes (and on PC screens something changes pretty much all the time) and for the backlight (which actually uses around 75% of all the dosplay's power). So unless they ship those laptops with a 60AH gel battery, just adding a power-saving screen won't give you much more battery life.

Oh, and one more thing - bi-stable screens are (for now) monochromatic.
n3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2008, 13:54   #5
D3s3rt_F0x
Hypermodder

D3s3rt_F0x has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
40 hour laptop would never happen, as soon as they got extra battery life from something theyd use it to power something else to gain performance improvements.
D3s3rt_F0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2008, 14:01   #6
MrWillyWonka
Chocolate computers galore!

MrWillyWonka has yet to learn the way of the DremelMrWillyWonka has yet to learn the way of the DremelMrWillyWonka has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3s3rt_F0x View Post
40 hour laptop would never happen, as soon as they got extra battery life from something theyd use it to power something else to gain performance improvements.
Fair point but components are getting more efficient all the time, the more powerful processors of today use less energy than processors of the previous generation. In time I believe 40 hours will happen but it's a matter of when.

My laptop today is certainly much more powerful than than my laptop of 5 years ago yet I have about 4 times the battery life.
MrWillyWonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2008, 15:27   #7
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
Why are they not promising smaller batteries? And isn't it about time that laptop manufacturers stop cheating and put the powerbrick in the main unit?

Anyway, yay for development! I'm wondering how these screens will perform though...
Old 1st Dec 2008, 16:56   #8
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
bi-stable screens are (for now) monochromatic.
Which would actually be fine for most of what I use a netbook for, and which I'd happily go for if it gave me enough endurance to last, say, a London to LA plane flight.
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2008, 18:40   #9
D3s3rt_F0x
Hypermodder

D3s3rt_F0x has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillyWonka View Post
Fair point but components are getting more efficient all the time, the more powerful processors of today use less energy than processors of the previous generation. In time I believe 40 hours will happen but it's a matter of when.

My laptop today is certainly much more powerful than than my laptop of 5 years ago yet I have about 4 times the battery life.
Ye im thinking more about that theyll just put in more powerful and therefore power hungry components it might be achieveable at some point but not just yet.
D3s3rt_F0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2008, 18:54   #10
notatoad
pretty fing wonderful

notatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3mo View Post
Well, this won't work. Do a simple test - turn off your EEE's screen and see how long it will go on battery. You might hit 8-9 hours or so, but no longer. Today's LED-backlit screens are pretty good power-savers as they are.
this. screens simply do not draw a high enough percentage of the laptop's power for a claim like this to be true. unless the screen is a hybrid LCD/solar panel that charges the battery while it runs.
Old 1st Dec 2008, 21:54   #11
ironjohn
What's a Dremel?

ironjohn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
One Laptop Per Child... Books anyone? ...they don't even need power.
ironjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Dec 2008, 06:48   #12
Jumeira_Johnny
16032 - High plains drifter

Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironjohn View Post
One Laptop Per Child... Books anyone? ...they don't even need power.
Have you considered what it takes to print store, ship and keep current enough books to educate one African country? All the African countries? Africa and India? Add in all the other remote and poor places and suddenly the idea of a low powered laptop makes sense. Not to mention, with basic GPRS net access, the kid's have access to online resources and lectures they might never see. Parents suddenly have access to weather, soil and agriculture data to help them plant better. They have access to market rates so they know where to sell the produce and how much to sell it for; often cutting out a middle man. They get access to medical information, information on green tech. Suddenly they know that is s larger world out there, with options for them to better their lives.

While I love books, I recognize that they have limitations when it comes to educating 1/2 the world's population that live in poverty. Never before has so much information been available to those with net access. Simply having that access levels the playing field to a degree not seen in a long times. OLPC has the potential to be a force multiplier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayinBlack View Post
But I do remember the days when we didn't all run around holding our asses because butthurt. And I miss them.

Last edited by Jumeira_Johnny; 2nd Dec 2008 at 06:54.
Jumeira_Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Dec 2008, 10:14   #13
StephenK
Sneak 'em Upper

StephenK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Furthermore ironjohn, there are the skills gained through the use of the computer. Not to mention the empowerment that being connected to the information community brings.
Intel e6600 - 4gb Corsair Twin2X 6400C4 DDR2 - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro + Silver 5 - Gainward GTX260 Golden Sample 896MB - Dell U2410 + iiyama E2200WS - Black Coolermaster ATCS 840 - Corsair HX620 - Asus P5B Deluxe - 1tb F3 - 1tb F1 - 320gb T166 - X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Creative Inspire T6100 - Razer Lycosa and Razer Mamba
StephenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 08:22   #14
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeira_Johnny View Post
Parents suddenly have access to weather, soil and agriculture data to help them plant better....often cutting out a middle man.
Who then comes and cuts their throats...

Oh, maybe my view of Africa is a bit biassed by the tendancy to civil wars down there...

Xir
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote