bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 9th Dec 2008, 11:09   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Grand Theft Auto IV PC patch detailed

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/12...tch-detailed/1

Rockstar has detailed the upcoming patch for the PC version of GTA IV, revealing a very limited list of improvements.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2008, 12:37   #2
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sweep sweep.
Old 9th Dec 2008, 12:39   #3
Leitchy
Supermodder

Leitchy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The performance is awful on my system. It is the first game since buying my 8800 GTX that I have struggled with (without going below High/Medium settings), and I'm sure this is down to yet another crap port to PC users.

Shame on you Rockstar!
Leitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2008, 13:45   #4
n3mo
Multimodder

n3mo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Lol, this doesn't fix anything at all. I mean "Fix for ATI 1900 shadows"? I don't believe anyone still uses 1900 series (as it was such an incredibly crappy series, and anyway, this game runs slow on a GTX 280, so on 1900 this is a very, very slow slideshow)
n3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2008, 13:57   #5
quack
\o/

quack has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I still haven't bought GTA4, and really not sure I want to - even though I had been incredibly excited about its release - all because of the Social Club and Windows Live crap. :|
Old 9th Dec 2008, 15:51   #6
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
I'm still going to defend it and say that I bet if you ran it at the same level of detail as the XBox 360, it'd run find on most systems.

People are only freaking out because this is labelled as "low detail" and they can't handle the fact that this is the level their uber-rig runs it on. If Rockstar renamed them "High", "Ultra High" and "Proof of Concept High", no-one would mind.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2008, 16:10   #7
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul View Post
I'm still going to defend it and say that I bet if you ran it at the same level of detail as the XBox 360, it'd run find on most systems.

People are only freaking out because this is labelled as "low detail" and they can't handle the fact that this is the level their uber-rig runs it on. If Rockstar renamed them "High", "Ultra High" and "Proof of Concept High", no-one would mind.
I disagree. Judging by the pictures all over the tubes there isn't enough of a difference between the console version and the PC version. So low on PC is slightly better than console? Why does it still look like 2006 then? Get some decent textures in there and the world will be a better place... or maybe not but at least the game will look better.

So I think what people really are complaining about is the fact that an average looking game doesn't run with acceptable frame rates on their PCs. And I seriously can't see any reason why this game shouldn't run fine at high on a 8800GTX, let alone a 280...
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iš! Iš! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2008, 16:10   #8
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul

Thing is you can run it at any detail you want with afew command line changes, fps is determined by number of CPU cores and clock speed, not your gfx card power plus no AA, crashes, slowdowns, crap camera, DOS box running all the time O_o

It's just a shoddy port
Old 9th Dec 2008, 16:31   #9
Evildead666
Supermodder

Evildead666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by quack
I still haven't bought GTA4, and really not sure I want to - even though I had been incredibly excited about its release - all because of the Social Club and Windows Live crap. :|
Entirely agree.
Old 9th Dec 2008, 16:42   #10
dyzophoria
Supermodder

dyzophoria has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
forget about the windows live and social club probs, what will really sadden you is the poor performance on current generation hardware
Old 9th Dec 2008, 23:49   #11
Matkubicki
Supermodder

Matkubicki has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very happy GTA IV user here

Installed it last night in under an hour including Live and Social Club sign ups, no problems except me putting caps lock when doing social club password ()

Benchmarked on 1680x1050 Render Quality:High, Textures:Highest, about 50 for distance and 60 for detail distance, middle-ish for shadows, came out as around 25fps.

In game a little less than that, mainly the odd slow down as you say turn a corner into a new street, nothing major, looks smooth otherwise.

All this on a:
E6600 @ 3.24Ghz
Ati 4870 1GB
4GB RAM
Vista x64

One very pleased customer.

Only annoyances are:
-no multiple key bindings for controls, pain
-all the cars so far drive like buses (its not me honest!)
-don't like HAVING to sign up to things, always managed to avoid this before now
Matkubicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2008, 08:42   #12
shadowsoal
What's a Dremel?

shadowsoal has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It runs so-so on my system

2 Gig of 800mhz ram
2.6 Dual core AMD
Gefore 9400 GT
XP

Definately playable though, so thats a result.

Will say, mind you, this patch does seem a little bit like Rockstar are just spitting out a couple of minor things just to tick a box and mildly mock everyone.
Considering the attitudes of the characters in the GTA series, I can totally imagine the Rockstar Crew having a good laugh at everyone for winging "like girls" about this not working.
I meen!! .. A fix for shadows (not even a full fix or anything) for the ATI 1900! I don't ven believe that, A) it works with this game or B) Anybody that has a system that could even hope to run this even has that card on thier machine! lol
shadowsoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2008, 18:15   #13
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matkubicki View Post
Benchmarked on 1680x1050 Render Quality:High, Textures:Highest, about 50 for distance and 60 for detail distance, middle-ish for shadows, came out as around 25fps.

In game a little less than that, mainly the odd slow down as you say turn a corner into a new street, nothing major, looks smooth otherwise.

[...]

One very pleased customer.
Smooth? 25 FPS? Interesting that.
No, seriously, I just don't get it why that game runs that slow. I mean with Crysis you see what is using all those horse powers of your PC but unless they use an insane number of polygons for the houses or render the inside of every house including a simulation of the people living in there (probably coming next: GTA:The Sims 2 Edition )...

Anyways, I won't buy it for PC. 360? Maybe. There are more important games for both platforms for me.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iš! Iš! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2008, 19:11   #14
notatoad
pretty fing wonderful

notatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
anybody taking bets on whether it breaks the crack that came out sunday?

@bauul - the computer in my sig does never more than 20fps on low-medium and 1280x768. not even close to what my ps3 version looks like.

Last edited by notatoad; 12th Dec 2008 at 15:45.
notatoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2008, 11:07   #15
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by aon`aTv.gsus666 View Post
unless they use an insane number of polygons for the houses or render the inside of every house including a simulation of the people living in there
"High Setting" renders practically the entire city on the fly. So the answer to your above questions is "yes".
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2008, 14:05   #16
ParaHelix.org
Supermodder

ParaHelix.org has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can play Team Fortress 2, all Half-Life engine games, on medium to high settings, but GTA IV wont even load textures if they are not a few milimeters in front of me. Don't buy it.
ParaHelix.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2008, 14:16   #17
EnglishLion
working for the good of mankind...

EnglishLion has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sounds like a very important patch to me if .... "Overall savings to memory" means that it doesn't now use almost 2GB of memory from the off and then continue to slow down as it eats more and more as you play!

It runs very slowly on my system no matter what settings I use and I believe it's all down to only having 2GB of memory. Vista64 already using a significant amount means that GTA4 pushes usage up to +90% at all times.

No matter what the patch does I'm still looking at going to 4GB anyway.

Latest: Review: Microsoft Arc Wireless Mini Keyboard
Also: Review: ASUS M4A785D-M Pro uATX motherboard
Most Popular: Review: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H Motherboard
EnglishLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2008, 14:17   #18
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertoad View Post
anybody taking bets on whether it breaks the crack that came out sunday?
Ofcourse it will! And the whole scene will most probably already be preparing to counter. Anyway, if this is the whole patch, i'm not even gunna. None of these issues are relevant for me.
Old 12th Dec 2008, 10:22   #19
djDEATH
Habari gani?

djDEATH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
after reading some stuff on the web, this game is definitely CPU limited.

Think about it though, despite the Xbox only having that ATI chip in it (~ same as 1900XTX) and the PS3 having a similar chip from Nvidia (~ 7900GTX IIRC) but BOTH are massively powerful when it comes to CPU.

Xbox has triple core IBM PowerPC chip, and the Cell in the PS3 has like 8 cores or something???

This may explain why a GTX280 with an Athlon X2 @ 3.2Ghz gets 15 FPS, and a Phenom X4 @ 2.6Ghz gets over 30 FPS.

This game NEEDS quad core. First one ever to be branded as such.
Old 12th Dec 2008, 11:41   #20
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wonder if they'll fix the hilarious stealth memory leak :P
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote