bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 26th Sep 2010, 18:01   #41
PabloFunky
Ultramodder

PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.
interesting, i usually see sponsorship as begging myself,

infact i wanted on my project somewhere on the artwork..... "sponsor Free", seems a better thing to have than a sponsor.

I mean, if the pc comes out good, sureley its enough that you have a nice pc?.

Just thought id give a view for the other side.

Also i dont like the idea of having to mention (suck up) every post about how wonderful a particular company is, and have in 50 foot high letters the name of sponsors all over my case.

Thanks for listening.

Im assuming this is a what not to do, so this is a nice example for you.
PabloFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Sep 2010, 03:58   #42
DarthBeavis
Supermodder

DarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloFunky View Post
interesting, i usually see sponsorship as begging myself,

infact i wanted on my project somewhere on the artwork..... "sponsor Free", seems a better thing to have than a sponsor.

I mean, if the pc comes out good, sureley its enough that you have a nice pc?.

Just thought id give a view for the other side.

Also i dont like the idea of having to mention (suck up) every post about how wonderful a particular company is, and have in 50 foot high letters the name of sponsors all over my case.

Thanks for listening.

Im assuming this is a what not to do, so this is a nice example for you.
who says you have to suck up every post and have their name all over?
Old 27th Sep 2010, 04:00   #43
DarthBeavis
Supermodder

DarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
Unfortunately, despite modding continuing to increase in popularity, sponsorship has plateaued or even diminished. Many companies I talk to now do not sponsor random mods unless they commission them themselves.
They definitely will not sponsor someone who just comes knocking. I got lucky in my timing I guess. Once you have your foot in the door all the other doors just open up.
Old 5th Nov 2010, 12:27   #44
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.
What I don't get with sponsorship, is that there are some mods out there with loads of sponsors and I think, yeah, this is going to be mega, then the finished article appears and I'm thinking, is that it? a 7 year old with a lump hammer and a shovel could do better. Then there are some seriously good modders and they seem to get nothing. WTF is that all about.
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2010, 18:16   #45
PabloFunky
Ultramodder

PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.
OMG, you are so right with that statement,

A quality project usually comes from peoples true skills and design capabilities etc, so no matter how much sponsorship and money is thrown at something, will not always make it a good project.

I thought i was doing well, till i saw some of the amazing projects on here, kinda made me jeleaous, but im keep trying, till i get better and better (hopefully).

P.S, not interested in sponsorship, so dont bother trying to give me stuff, part of project is that its done within users Ģ$ limitation also.
PabloFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2010, 23:48   #46
WolfandAngel
Got fins?

WolfandAngel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
well on of my problems is I go to many ideas and sometimes the material cost are about half an decent pc so I need sponsor or els I would have to save up a year to do a mod.

wolfie

We're people who have the patience and know the pain of sleeving. And love it.

Please excuse my English I haven't fully mastered it yet.
WolfandAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2010, 11:20   #47
scgt1
Multimodder

scgt1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfandAngel View Post
well on of my problems is I go to many ideas and sometimes the material cost are about half an decent pc so I need sponsor or els I would have to save up a year to do a mod.

wolfie
Project Slumber Parties was started August 09. With the parting of two LGA 775 Machines one being a internet pc with e6750 8 gigs of ram the other being e8400 dual evga 9800 gtx ko cards with 8 gigs of ram also. I made a good penny on the sale of parts, but I've had to dish out a ton over the last year plus.

Oh yea did I forget to mention its still being worked on and the hardware isn't installed yet?

Setbacks and problems galore there is nothing wrong with taking a long time to complete as long as you get it done right. Day one of parts arriving consisted of me having to drive the neighborhood trying to find my Haf932. All to find damaged parts inside that the seller didn't notify me of. Turns out in the end I had to pick up another Haf932 due to stupid peoples negligence.

You should give it a read maybe it would make you think otherwise about taking a long time to finish a build. The outcome is amazing when you have the ability to take your time doing it.

Oh yea and I still have parts to order. LOL
Old 10th Nov 2010, 14:10   #48
bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloFunky View Post
OMG, you are so right with that statement,

A quality project usually comes from peoples true skills and design capabilities etc, so no matter how much sponsorship and money is thrown at something, will not always make it a good project.

I thought i was doing well, till i saw some of the amazing projects on here, kinda made me jeleaous, but im keep trying, till i get better and better (hopefully).

P.S, not interested in sponsorship, so dont bother trying to give me stuff, part of project is that its done within users Ģ$ limitation also.
I've seen your handy work matey and it's bloody good already.

like you I'm not sponsored and it doesn't bother me, I mod because I enjoy doing it . But If some left a nice big pile of goodies on my door step for me to play with I wouldn't say no
Old 31st Dec 2010, 13:27   #49
InluZion
Clean but yet EXTREME

InluZion has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is right...

when im scouting for sponsor's im simply letting them in on my idea of the build and if they like it they will sponsor me, i donīt go around and saying that iv got Bit-Tech behind me to back me up.

iv just posted my first build in the Forum, but all i can say i damn there is some nice buildīs in here :S

Cheers!
InluZion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Mar 2011, 11:53   #50
Aluminationmod
What's a Dremel?

Aluminationmod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Never ask for free stuff, thats just rude.
Aluminationmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2011, 01:31   #51
DarthBeavis
Supermodder

I am finishing up my LAST personal mod (Trek one). Everything I am doing is commissioned (projects lined up through end of this year). Most of the hardware is sponsored but I keep nothing as the finished product goes to the client (mostly game developers though I am making sure we do some charity projects as well as you really need to give back to the community).

Aluminationmod: You are totally wrong about it being rude. It is a trade. They get marketing and more exposure - you get help with reasonable hardware. If you want to do it write you write up a proposal which includes estimated ROI. Just a business transaction.
Old 24th Mar 2011, 04:29   #52
SNiiPE_DoGG
Engineering The Extreme

SNiiPE_DoGG has yet to learn the way of the DremelSNiiPE_DoGG has yet to learn the way of the DremelSNiiPE_DoGG has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can echo sentiments about people who are undeserving receiving sponsorship.

It bugs me to hell when some new guy shows up out of the blue with sponsors, I've seen at least 5 heavily sponsored mods go on to no end and the guy just abandons the log like its an old newspaper. You have to EARN your right to sponsorship by first doing something great with your own means, whatever they may be. When you get sponsored and don't finish your project you hurt all of the guys who may actually be serious about making something great out of their sponsorship, and thats just fricken wrong.

|CPU: PHII 955 BE @ 3.8ghz | GPU: 2 x 4890 XXX @ 950 | 8gb Crucial ballistix tracer DDR3 1600 CL8|
SNiiPE_DoGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2011, 14:06   #53
DarthBeavis
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post

It bugs me to hell when some new guy shows up out of the blue with sponsors, I've seen at least 5 heavily sponsored mods go on to no end and the guy just abandons the log like its an old newspaper. You have to EARN your right to sponsorship by first doing something great with your own means, whatever they may be. When you get sponsored and don't finish your project you hurt all of the guys who may actually be serious about making something great out of their sponsorship, and thats just fricken wrong.
I wouldn't worry about it as a person who does not produce when sponsored will not be sponsored again. You guys who want sponsorship should be careful what you ask for. I am not in the position of having to kick out insane mods at a month's notice. One mod that I helped with (was not the lead on the project) . . .which I probably the most publicized mod EVER - no it WAS the most ever, the KEGPUTER, we were given maybe six weeks notice to have it ready and working at CES.
Old 24th Mar 2011, 14:31   #54
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
I wouldn't worry about it as a person who does not produce when sponsored will not be sponsored again. You guys who want sponsorship should be careful what you ask for. I am not in the position of having to kick out insane mods at a month's notice. One mod that I helped with (was not the lead on the project) . . .which I probably the most publicized mod EVER - no it WAS the most ever, the KEGPUTER, we were given maybe six weeks notice to have it ready and working at CES.

You guys never did tell us what happened to the original contents of said keg.
Old 24th Mar 2011, 14:47   #55
DarthBeavis
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanlon303 View Post
You guys never did tell us what happened to the original contents of said keg.
drunken modding cheesecake

why does F T W equal cheescake?

Last edited by DarthBeavis; 24th Mar 2011 at 15:13.
DarthBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 03:24   #56
SNiiPE_DoGG
Engineering The Extreme

SNiiPE_DoGG has yet to learn the way of the DremelSNiiPE_DoGG has yet to learn the way of the DremelSNiiPE_DoGG has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
Thats really what I am trying to convey, be careful what you wish for!

Obviously I am not worried for myself, but more for those guys who are up and coming, ready to take on the challenge and have something to offer to the scene - who could get turned down because of the bitter taste in a would be sponsors mouth.

|CPU: PHII 955 BE @ 3.8ghz | GPU: 2 x 4890 XXX @ 950 | 8gb Crucial ballistix tracer DDR3 1600 CL8|
SNiiPE_DoGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2011, 00:37   #57
DarthBeavis
Supermodder

Quote:
Thats really what I am trying to convey, be careful what you wish for!

Obviously I am not worried for myself, but more for those guys who are up and coming, ready to take on the challenge and have something to offer to the scene - who could get turned down because of the bitter taste in a would be sponsors mouth.
yeah, that would suck but what can you do?
Old 27th Mar 2011, 06:21   #58
jadawgis732
Modder

jadawgis732 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:

Great to see that from one of the communities most well respected modders.

Honestly, the only way I could justify seeking sponsorship (it's different if the company approaches you) is if I was too poor to buy the parts myself but so good and so addicted to it that I just HAD to mod or I was going to be in the papers the next day. And if my dignity was not fully intact.

If you think about it, asking for computer parts in exchange for exposure, (from a not-well-known modder's perspective) is sort of like going up to a drug dealer and saying "hey I'm a little short on money this week, but really need my medicine and can't wait until my check clears. If you give it to me for free I'll snort a big fat line, climb to the top of the tallest skyscraper and yell down "Mr. Moneybags is the best drug dealer this town has to offer." Going further it's not unlike indentured servitude, and that's not a long way from prostitution.

Last edited by jadawgis732; 27th Mar 2011 at 06:35.
jadawgis732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2011, 17:42   #59
DarthBeavis
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadawgis732 View Post
Great to see that from one of the communities most well respected modders.

Honestly, the only way I could justify seeking sponsorship (it's different if the company approaches you) is if I was too poor to buy the parts myself but so good and so addicted to it that I just HAD to mod or I was going to be in the papers the next day. And if my dignity was not fully intact.

If you think about it, asking for computer parts in exchange for exposure, (from a not-well-known modder's perspective) is sort of like going up to a drug dealer and saying "hey I'm a little short on money this week, but really need my medicine and can't wait until my check clears. If you give it to me for free I'll snort a big fat line, climb to the top of the tallest skyscraper and yell down "Mr. Moneybags is the best drug dealer this town has to offer." Going further it's not unlike indentured servitude, and that's not a long way from prostitution.
so you are saying not-so-well known modders should not approach companies for sponsorship but well-known modders should? I agree and tell the many who have asked me how to get sponsorship that you first MUST have a portfolio of completed projects. As I stated you must approach it as a business transaction where you justify ROI to them. if you view it as just getting free stuff you are doomed to failure. nothing in life is free. come spend a month in my shoes and you will have an entirely new perspective on this modding thing
Old 28th Mar 2011, 18:06   #60
bulldogjeff

By putting you mods on line in a forum like this , you are to a certain extent pimping yourself. You're putting your work in the shop window. Like I said in a previous post (#48). I do it because I enjoy it. I would love sponsorship deals coming out of my ears but as it stands I don't have any so now it's still just an expensive hobby for me. And as I've already stated in the past, if some one were to offer me some goodies to help me along I'd be over the moon. The idea of approaching companies for sponsorship has never crossed my mind. I would like it if they came to me after seeing my work and offered some bits. This in my eyes would make me feel that what I'm doing was actually worthy of the parts being offered.

Tags
bit-tech, modding, mods, sponsorship

View Mode