bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 28th Mar 2011, 18:46   #61
DarthBeavis
Supermodder

DarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogjeff View Post
By putting you mods on line in a forum like this , you are to a certain extent pimping yourself. You're putting your work in the shop window. Like I said in a previous post (#48). I do it because I enjoy it. I would love sponsorship deals coming out of my ears but as it stands I don't have any so now it's still just an expensive hobby for me. And as I've already stated in the past, if some one were to offer me some goodies to help me along I'd be over the moon. The idea of approaching companies for sponsorship has never crossed my mind. I would like it if they came to me after seeing my work and offered some bits. This in my eyes would make me feel that what I'm doing was actually worthy of the parts being offered.
companies do not frequents sites like this looking for sponsors. I go to events and work events and party with the people who sponsor me. Networking is the key. Hermits get no where. Get out, get to LAN parties, meet people. Show and share your work in real life. More projects get cemented over a beer
Old 28th Mar 2011, 18:53   #62
PabloFunky
Ultramodder

PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.
He does say that he does NOT want to suck up by approaching people and ass licking at events and with a beer etc etc, to be fair.

Jeff, your work speaks for itself matey,its good that your not prepared to suck up for it, respect is worth more than ass licking as such.

I post here also, so that people may be interested in the build and that is all.
PabloFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2011, 19:30   #63
DarthBeavis
Supermodder

DarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloFunky View Post
He does say that he does NOT want to suck up by approaching people and ass licking at events and with a beer etc etc, to be fair.

Jeff, your work speaks for itself matey,its good that your not prepared to suck up for it, respect is worth more than ass licking as such.

I post here also, so that people may be interested in the build and that is all.
ass licking . . . interesting way of describing it. to each their own I guess.
Old 28th Mar 2011, 19:44   #64
23RO_UK
Hasta Maņana

23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.23RO_UK is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
ass licking . . . interesting way of describing it. to each their own I guess.
Well you could equally use plumb sucking as an alternative description

Or rear end diplomacy, kicking in the door rather than behind it
23RO_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2011, 19:58   #65
DarthBeavis
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23RO_UK View Post
Well you could equally use plumb sucking as an alternative description

Or rear end diplomacy, kicking in the door rather than behind it
some strange birds on the other side of the pond
Old 28th Mar 2011, 21:10   #66
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.
Lol it's a london thing. If I started dropping in a load of rhyme and slang no one would understand me/us..

Thanks for the thumbs up Pablo Appreciated mate.
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2011, 04:44   #67
jadawgis732
Modder

jadawgis732 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
so you are saying not-so-well known modders should not approach companies for sponsorship but well-known modders should?
No, I'm saying what anyone else should or shouldn't do, I'm giving my perspective on the idea of sponsorship within the community of modding. I don't think it should exist.

Put the idea in a vacuum, and understand that a community founded on interests (this one being modding) is generally a happy community. Once you add corporate influence to the equation and people begin to monetize what was once a happy community, you bring in vultures, and cutthroats just trying to make a buck, and the thing turns to crap.

Before this addition you had 100% of the community doing it just for the love of it, now you'll have people doing it for notoriety or the "kit", and the ratio of such people to people simply involved because they enjoy it will go up as you add more and more corporate influence.

Is that rational? Maybe, maybe not, but I regard the entire influence of the PR industry as a perversion of the general public and their ideas. That doesn't make me an anarchist- I just disapprove is all. And I posted here simply to express that disapproval.

Last edited by jadawgis732; 29th Mar 2011 at 04:53. Reason: Web Authoring Prof says to break up large paragraphs because lazy people are lazy.
jadawgis732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2011, 15:06   #68
DarthBeavis
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadawgis732 View Post
No, I'm saying what anyone else should or shouldn't do, I'm giving my perspective on the idea of sponsorship within the community of modding. I don't think it should exist.

Put the idea in a vacuum, and understand that a community founded on interests (this one being modding) is generally a happy community. Once you add corporate influence to the equation and people begin to monetize what was once a happy community, you bring in vultures, and cutthroats just trying to make a buck, and the thing turns to crap.

Before this addition you had 100% of the community doing it just for the love of it, now you'll have people doing it for notoriety or the "kit", and the ratio of such people to people simply involved because they enjoy it will go up as you add more and more corporate influence.

Is that rational? Maybe, maybe not, but I regard the entire influence of the PR industry as a perversion of the general public and their ideas. That doesn't make me an anarchist- I just disapprove is all. And I posted here simply to express that disapproval.
I appreciate your opinion and can see how back stabbing can be a negative thing. I view sponsorships in a quite different light but then you and I have totally different life experiences. We can agree to disagree and still be brothers in modding Hope you will not discount my builds due to these differences.
Old 8th Apr 2011, 11:34   #69
phenoptix
Multimodder

phenoptix has yet to learn the way of the Dremelphenoptix has yet to learn the way of the Dremelphenoptix has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As a sponsor we have both been approached by and approached modders. It's not something we do often and each mod is taken on its merits. We've never had anyone being "matey" or having to suck up to get sponsorship, we sponsor on merit because frankly sponsoring a proven modder gets better results (for us cut-throats and vultures that is). These proven modders are without doubt massive modding enthusiasts, pillars of the modding community and in most cases bona fide artists! Not whores hell bent on getting free stuff as has been suggested in this thread so far.

You can look at sponsorship as a parasitic organism sucking the lifeblood from a community or for my two cents view it as it is a symbiosis producing some very beautiful and inspiring cases for the community and also a bit of brand recognition for us corporate fat cats (he says sitting in a shed in Nottingham).
phenoptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2011, 00:50   #70
DarthBeavis
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenoptix View Post
As a sponsor we have both been approached by and approached modders. It's not something we do often and each mod is taken on its merits. We've never had anyone being "matey" or having to suck up to get sponsorship, we sponsor on merit because frankly sponsoring a proven modder gets better results (for us cut-throats and vultures that is). These proven modders are without doubt massive modding enthusiasts, pillars of the modding community and in most cases bona fide artists! Not whores hell bent on getting free stuff as has been suggested in this thread so far.

You can look at sponsorship as a parasitic organism sucking the lifeblood from a community or for my two cents view it as it is a symbiosis producing some very beautiful and inspiring cases for the community and also a bit of brand recognition for us corporate fat cats (he says sitting in a shed in Nottingham).
Thank you for expressing the view of the sponsor verses sponsored and thanks for supporting the community!
Old 20th May 2011, 02:36   #71
HybridCore
Multimodder

HybridCore has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Anybody got a percentage of actually getting sponsored? It would be interesting.
HybridCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2011, 17:14   #72
DarthBeavis
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post
Anybody got a percentage of actually getting sponsored? It would be interesting.
percentage of who? On this forum? All modders?
Old 5th Jun 2011, 18:30   #73
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.
I think it would be pretty low.
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2011, 19:50   #74
Razer2007
Building Proxima

Razer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
yup. Only those appearing in MOTY get sponsored every time. Other guys get lucky. Some even start a project a bit and then lets it die. Makes the chances for those who won't waste the companies's money smaller.

The small group of modders like AnG3l, get's sponsored a lot, and I understand it.
New guys like me (mostly the majority) don't just get sponsored on a PSU or SSD or watercooling. Just do your modding to the best of your ability, and you will be rewarded with a big name.
------------------------------------------------------
Razer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2011, 08:09   #75
Attila
still thinking....

Attila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer2007 View Post
yup. Only those appearing in MOTY get sponsored every time...........
Don't know about that. I've never been approached with sponsorship from anyone.

Last edited by Attila; 6th Jun 2011 at 08:37.
Attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2011, 12:51   #76
Razer2007
Building Proxima

Razer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila View Post
Don't know about that. I've never been approached with sponsorship from anyone.
oops. You there sir! Get a sponsor! Well, you know, you win all the hardware you need in MOTY for the next build, so... And with your type of mods, you make everything! Any stupid bling or stock watercooling would waste it.
------------------------------------------------------
Razer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2011, 17:58   #77
DarthBeavis
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer2007 View Post
yup. Only those appearing in MOTY get sponsored every time. Other guys get lucky. Some even start a project a bit and then lets it die. Makes the chances for those who won't waste the companies's money smaller.

The small group of modders like AnG3l, get's sponsored a lot, and I understand it.
New guys like me (mostly the majority) don't just get sponsored on a PSU or SSD or watercooling. Just do your modding to the best of your ability, and you will be rewarded with a big name.
I have never been in MOTY and I get sponsored as much as anyone here or more
Old 7th Jun 2011, 04:28   #78
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I have MOTM win and I just never asked. My stuff is done for me and to my schedule. No pressure for timetable or duration.

john
Old 7th Jun 2011, 04:36   #79
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
I have never been in MOTY and I get sponsored as much as anyone here or more
lots more. Deservedly.

john
Old 7th Jun 2011, 05:13   #80
DarthBeavis
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanlon303 View Post
lots more. Deservedly.

john
no, I actually do not think I deserve it at least for my modding skills. I suck compared to so many here and elsewhere. What I excel at is marketing and networking with companies. Also, I am not afraid to outsource here and there or partner with others (once you see the project that will be released on June 11th you will see what I am talking about). Granted that is not something sponsored that I keep but it is a commissioned project instead.

Tags
bit-tech, modding, mods, sponsorship

View Mode