bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 7th Jun 2011, 21:27   #81
Gentleman_Dingo
Supermodder

Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
What I excel at is marketing and networking with companies.
I can vouch for DarthBeavis on this. He might not remember me but he judged my case at PAX2009. It was obvious that I was new to modding but put my heart into it. He was kind enough to answer all my questions and introduce me to several vendors and companies that sponsor modders.

The man knows the industry.
Gentleman_Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 11:28   #82
Razer2007
Building Proxima

Razer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfun View Post
The man knows the industry.
Lucky ball.
------------------------------------------------------
Razer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2011, 19:58   #83
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.
I suppose you can't argue with that really, if it's profession you really do need to be clued up and if that means bringing in the sponsors, it has to be that way.

I've said it before I mod because I enjoy it, but a few sponsors wouldn't go amiss...lol. I'm finding each build is getting more expensive. I ended up selling off the last 2, to finance the current one. But when alls said and done, as much as I would like to keep every one, how many computers can one person really use.
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2011, 20:55   #84
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Mosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogjeff View Post
... But when alls said and done, as much as I would like to keep every one, how many computers can one person really use.
lol, my girlfriend said the same thing a few years ago when I had 6 computers (not including laptops) in my dorm room... the answer is easy, as many as they need

Seriously though, I only have 3 now, Server, Desktop, and HTPC, for me, for now, that's about all I need... until I get a bigger place
Mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2011, 19:57   #85
l3p
www.^.nl

l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer2007 View Post
yup. Only those appearing in MOTY get sponsored every time. Other guys get lucky. Some even start a project a bit and then lets it die. Makes the chances for those who won't waste the companies's money smaller.

The small group of modders like AnG3l, get's sponsored a lot, and I understand it.
New guys like me (mostly the majority) don't just get sponsored on a PSU or SSD or watercooling. Just do your modding to the best of your ability, and you will be rewarded with a big name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila View Post
Don't know about that. I've never been approached with sponsorship from anyone.
Same here, i've never been approached.

My first build i didn't even know about sponsored builds
When i started my desk build people tipped me i should mail some vendors.
That worked out well when i sent the pictures of the half ready build.
Now that the build is finished and want to start a new one, i mailed them again and they are even happy to sponsor the next project.

I guess it's all about finding the right person, keep your promises and creating a band with them.
l3p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2011, 20:13   #86
Razer2007
Building Proxima

Razer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3p View Post

Now that the build is finished and want to start a new one, i mailed them again and they are even happy to sponsor the next project.

I guess it's all about finding the right person, keep your promises and creating a band with them.
saving this in a word document now
Old 15th Jun 2011, 02:10   #87
DarthBeavis
Supermodder

DarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run Crysis
Quote:

anyone would be crazy not to sponsor you
Old 15th Jun 2011, 05:36   #88
Nanosec
absit iniuria verbis

Nanosec has yet to learn the way of the DremelNanosec has yet to learn the way of the DremelNanosec has yet to learn the way of the DremelNanosec has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:

After the IMPRESSIVE showing you did in the CM contest, I am sure you will be approached in the future. I've only see the one mod by you (I haven't looked either, but I will) and that single mod is marketing GOLD for the right sponsor.
Nanosec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2011, 15:07   #89
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Hi chaps. Sponsoring is first and foremost tricky to come by at the best of times, but speaking to people in the industry every day, I can vouch for the fact that lots of companies are tightening their wallets. This is both good and bad for modders - some companies have increased their focus on modding because it's usually a hell of a lot cheaper to give a pro modder a few hundred /$ of gear than to fork out for advertising. Others have reduced this kind of spending significantly. If you've been trying in the last year or so, bare this in mind.

The best way to get into it is to have a few good projects under your belt and to approach companies with an idea, not just saying you have awesome modding skills, give me some free hardware, hopefully you haven't done that

This how a lot of the regulars do it and if you're in the right place at the right time, they could start asking you to build sponsored projects for them. Remember that most people you deal with at these companies aren't modders and few people have any idea about what it is, or what is possible. I get approached regularly by them looking for ideas about how to go about getting a project built and usually point them in the direction of a decent modder in their country.

I'm here to help too - if you reckon your mod is good enough for MOTM or an article, drop me line. If we feature it, it can only look good in your portfolio. Likewise if you want to be added to my list of people to consider if I'm contacted by companies in your country looking for modders, let me know!
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2011, 15:59   #90
Razer2007
Building Proxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus View Post
*wall of text*
Thanks for putting in your part

I (here I go again) am starting a new project next term which I, and a few others, have been working hard on. I'm looking for sponsors, and already got one, but it's a very small one. It's only to get costs down.

So if there happen to be a company who want to sponsor a part or two, I will be happy to be on the short-list

Another thing: AT ALL POSSIBLE SPONSORS:

-> If you get an email from somebody asking for sponsorship, please don't just delete the email. Let them know if it's a NO or a BUDGET PROBLEM or a YOU ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH. It suck to wait for a reply that will never come.
Old 16th Jun 2011, 16:55   #91
DarthBeavis
Supermodder

DarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run CrysisDarthBeavis can run Crysis
Quote:
Hi chaps. Sponsoring is first and foremost tricky to come by at the best of times, but speaking to people in the industry every day, I can vouch for the fact that lots of companies are tightening their wallets. This is both good and bad for modders - some companies have increased their focus on modding because it's usually a hell of a lot cheaper to give a pro modder a few hundred /$ of gear than to fork out for advertising. Others have reduced this kind of spending significantly. If you've been trying in the last year or so, bare this in mind.

The best way to get into it is to have a few good projects under your belt and to approach companies with an idea, not just saying you have awesome modding skills, give me some free hardware, hopefully you haven't done that

This how a lot of the regulars do it and if you're in the right place at the right time, they could start asking you to build sponsored projects for them. Remember that most people you deal with at these companies aren't modders and few people have any idea about what it is, or what is possible. I get approached regularly by them looking for ideas about how to go about getting a project built and usually point them in the direction of a decent modder in their country.

I'm here to help too - if you reckon your mod is good enough for MOTM or an article, drop me line. If we feature it, it can only look good in your portfolio. Likewise if you want to be added to my list of people to consider if I'm contacted by companies in your country looking for modders, let me know!

Great support of the modding community! Hats off to this site! (not asking for MOTM consideration either - I get enough attention and this should be for up and coming modders)
Old 17th Jun 2011, 01:49   #92
bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:

I like the sound of that. Where is this list When the current builds finished I've got an absolute monster of a build planned. It'll make the current one look like an ITX build...lol
Old 17th Jun 2011, 21:16   #93
l3p
www.^.nl

l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.l3p is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Maybe an idea for the Bit-Tech forum.

A special page where people can announce their next build.
Possible sponsors can choose what project they would like to sponsor.

Off course there should be some rules before you can drop your plan.
For example minimum posts of lets say 100 ? on the Bit-Tech forum.
At least 3 sketches of the plan, and a complete plan with a minimum of 200 words.

So just a list like the project logs page, but then with planned builds looking for sponsorship.

Off course Antony will be the intermediary in all this for even more trust between sponsor and builder.
Old 17th Jun 2011, 21:24   #94
Razer2007
Building Proxima

Quote:

At least 3 sketches of the plan, and a complete plan with a minimum of 200 words.

So just a list like the project logs page, but then with planned builds looking for sponsorship.

Off course Antony will be the intermediary in all this for even more trust between sponsor and builder.
I can see how that is a good idea, but what about the element of surprise? I am starting a project next term, and I don't to reveal what it will look like at all. I have my little deign team, but It should be gun for the readers to "ooh I gotta get up and see if Attila posted an update". Because they wanna see what's next.

I'm sorry but I won't post my design anywhere. I would surely like to set it available for sponsors but then the normal BY members mustn't see it.

EDIT: I think the requirements must be higher. I just think about me with project CAGE. It'll be a waste to post that in there for sponsorship, because I well never get it. haveing one or two builds behind your name and MOTM, deserved a sponsor more than some kid who is designing this epic thing and just wants the best stuff. Start small. I you want sponsors for, say your first or second build, and it haven't started yet, you will normally have to lick some asses. And some is hairy.
Old 17th Jun 2011, 22:08   #95
l3p
www.^.nl

I forgot to mention, Antony decides what possible sponsors get access to that page
So your project will only be revealed to the sponsors.
Even when you got a possible project waiting there, you can't look at other people future builds.

It was just an idea
Old 17th Jun 2011, 22:13   #96
Razer2007
Building Proxima

Quote:
I forgot to mention, Antony decides what possible sponsors get access to that page
So your project will only be revealed to the sponsors.
Even when you got a possible project waiting there, you can't look at other people future builds.

It was just an idea
now THAT's better!
Old 7th Jul 2011, 11:04   #97
Fuganater
Supermodder

Fuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run Crysis
Good write up! I'm just now starting to get small sponsors and this will be a huge help to gain some larger ones.
Fuganater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2011, 23:13   #98
bulldogjeff

Quote:

One small problem that I can see with this idea, that being, what about the modders who don't bother with sketch up, like myself. I just get an idea measure and build and quite a few others work the same way.
Old 18th Jul 2011, 23:48   #99
Gentleman_Dingo
Supermodder

Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogjeff View Post
One small problem that I can see with this idea, that being, what about the modders who don't bother with sketch up, like myself. I just get an idea measure and build and quite a few others work the same way.
While I agree with you in spirit, i can see where the marketing practice would disagree. If you are a videocard manufacturer you want to make sure your product is seen and marketed. Who's to say what your design will exemplify? I'm not saying a sponsor won't contribute to a design that isn't pre-illustrated but pre-illustrating does give the sponsor something to envision and expect.

My guess is if you want sponsorship before you are 90% done, get some plans out there. Otherwise, it's the safe investment to sponsor after a project has taken shape.

All of that being said, this is why I'm trying to learn Google SketchUp. My current project had no plans shown online and my second project has preliminary sketches. I want my presentation to be as professional looking as some of the awesome macro photos and actual casemods.
Gentleman_Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2011, 18:02   #100
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Some good ideas here. The only issue is, very few manufacturers actually go in search of projects to sponsor - and if they do, they either come to people like me or delve into project log forums themselves. It's usually the modder who has to do the legwork on this front.

However, I think where it will work - and Razer2007 has already hit on this - is if you can provide evidence of your previous work as well as concepts/designs for your new project. I've literally just answered an email from a well-known manufacturer asking if I new someone who was asking for sponsorship. I hadn't and couldn't find any previous work either - these companies do need that evidence if you're not going to be the one chasing.

Also, having a dedicated place on bit-tech would also allow you to link to it in your emails to potential sponsors which can only look good We'd have to approve who has access though - that's probably a good thing...
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bit-tech, modding, mods, sponsorship

View Mode