1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Black Heart

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by peiter, 20 Dec 2008.

1. peiter

peiter What's a Dremel?

This is my latest creation witch i have named Black Heart due to the reason the only colors in use ( paint/light ) are black and red.

The projekt consist of a regular lian li case witch i have modded to satisfy my needs when it come to wires and hoses,and as you will see i have a allmost sickening need for not beeeing able to see wires or atleast see as little of tham as possibel + what can be seen must apear orderly and "symetrical" ( i can not tolerate wires and hose crisscrossing everywhere and i will gladly give up some cooling performance for a cleaner look )

First of all is a list of hardware and componente used in the projekt:

Case : lian li PC-A70A
    Motherbord : Asus Maximus formula ( x38 chipset )
    CPU : Intel q6600 G0
    Ram : OCZ flex xlc pc2-9200 4 x 1 gb
    GFX : Inno 3d 8800gts 512 mb
    Psu : Silverstone strider 600 watt
    Harddrives : 250 gb WD caviar RE + 32 gb patriot warp 2.0
    DVD drive : Asus drw-1814blt
    Sound : Asus ExtremeFX 2 witch came with the motherbord
    CPU cooler : D-tec Fuzion V2 with quadcore insert
    GPU cooler : EK - VGA supreme
    Fillcap : Danger den
    PUMP : AC aquastream XT USB 12V - Ultra
    Hose : 10 mm ID and 6 mm ID all Tygon
    RADIATOR : HW-labs GTX 240
    RESERVOIR : EK multioption res 150
    Fans : the origianal from the lian li case ( im broke these days )
    Fluid : feser one red UV aktive
    Fan controller : Zalman ZM-MFC1
    North-bridge: Enzotech CNB-R1 ( on the pics ! but right now a Termalright HR-05 IFX reside there )
    South-bridge : Termalright HR-05 SLI ( a later upgrade since the pics was taken )
    Mosfeds : Termalright HR-09S type 2 and HR-09U type 2
    Lighting : 2 x 30 led ledstrips and shakoon 2 x 10 cm uv catodes

paints used :
    Black : Akso nobel ral 9005 - MNA-05D "fine struckture"
    Red : Teknos transparent red used on some parts ( cant remember the specs on that paint )
    All powercoating and done by myself offcourse.

Tools and materials are all availevble at any desent DIY store.

Please note some of the pics are taken during the build and things are therefore not mounted proberly at that time,allso note that i have made this projekt wits as simpel as possibel materials and tools.

First picture have to be of my trusted helper :naughty: i just cant live without a file or 2 around.
    [​IMG]

As you can see i havent used too many poprivets during test assembly,many more are added since then.
    [​IMG]

More steel find its way inside the case,and as you can see this projekt are actually made on my computer table :dremel:
    [​IMG]

2 big holes appear from out of nowhere :eeek: but im lucky to have plenty of 120 mm fans lying around so bring it on.
    [​IMG]

The top part of the case after it have been attacked by more steel ( poor alu case :D )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of the content of what i refer to as my fan channel,i actually did manage to lose some more tygon during final assembly and to my own suprice its not really as bad as it look.
    [​IMG]

The second psu slot are packed with the pump and the 2 harddrives !
    The pump are mounted on 8 mm neoprene and from the same material i formed the holder for the larger 250 gb drive,its sitting between the ssd drive and the pump.
    As you can allso see i use original holes/treads where i can to keep things simpel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The wire ( my enemy ) i stretch and shrink them as i need to and they all more or less look like this.
    [​IMG]

And the other end of the deal we have this,again to keep things in order.
    [​IMG]

Making another 180 turn to see where all the fans end up along with my 2 led strips witch run on the last channel og my controller.
    [​IMG]

This is all the lighting that have gone into the thing,the uv catodes have yet to be sleeved in the picture.
    [​IMG]

Somwhere in the middle of it all i desided to make my q6000 a convertible :naughty:
    that lead to my B3 getting exchanged to a G0 :lol:
    [​IMG]

Here is a bunch of pics after the thing have come together a weekend not too long ago,i will trow some mood pics on top to try and give ppl a chance to see it running in darkness ( witch is where i live :rock: )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope you guys like what you see ! and if anyone have some questions please feel free to ask me.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2008
  2. rainwulf

rainwulf What's a Dremel?

Nice work!

3. peiter

peiter What's a Dremel?

THX M8

It seem like i have been a little too quick with my pictures and actually break a rule regarding them :blush:
    so tonight when im not so buisy i will uploade some pics to a file site here in denmark and then repost the pictures and add more pics + text.

Since the new pics are hosted offsite i assume ( right now ) its okay to use the huge pics i have,but offcourse i will have to go over some of the stickys regarding this matter and if needed figure out how to resize pics ( i have no idea how to do that but with a littele help from google i think i can get my 1664x2496 down in size )

4. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Wow, I like this very much. It may not be flashy, but it's well executed and very clean!

5. pksjaveed

pksjaveed Nmodz: modding the world

amazing . clean and it looks simple and elegant !love the routing of the watercoling pipes

Last edited: 20 Dec 2008
  6. Spyrious

Spyrious Modding all the Time

Very nice.Take some more pictures.

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Very very cool case mod :thumb:

8. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Nice work indeed! I like your method of separating/hiding the pump/fans/wiring with that extra channel. I like the wire sleeving as well. Looks very clean and sleek!

I think the rule you're thinking of is... (but the mod's will let you know... :worried:)
    From the sticky:
    4. If you have a finished project but no log of the work done, post it in Modding. If the forum moderator doesn't think your mod qualifies as a log, it will be moved to Modding and you will be notified.

I got a couple questions for you though. I didn't understand what happened here:
    Somwhere in the middle of it all i desided to make my q6000 a convertible
    that lead to my B3 getting exchanged to a G0
    [​IMG]

And I've heard rumors that seem to be true about sleeving CCFL's giving bad performance. Did you notice any change in your CCFL after sleeving?

9. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Modminded... he removed the IHS from the CPU & Sleeving a ccfl will have no performance issues (unless you bugger up the wires in the process).

10. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Ah... had to look up IHS after that. Thanks!

11. twentynine

twentynine Can never win...

I did too. Who knew it would come out to mean "Integrated Heat Sink" :duh:. I just did some light skimming and there are conflicting reports. Anyone know first hand how much benefit this gives? I could maybe see it helping if you oil cooled your computer....maybe. I don't know.

Also great mod. Its very clean. Great work!

12. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Well in newer CPUs (for example an i7) you wont be getting it off without epic fail.

Although Intel has been soldering it's IHSs on for a few years... the i7 is just about impossible to remove without the proper gear (if you have to ask what proper gear is... you don't have it lol). You'd need some kind of turbine powered heat flow system, and ideally one equipped with an x-ray.

What you can expect are results like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oops! (good thing it was an engineering sample, lol)

The benefits over a simple lapping are minimal - and certainly isn't a process for the faint of heart or the inexperienced.

my apologies for the off-topic discussion.

13. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

I can't see the point in this unless you really want to overclock the cpu, I don't get why he "destroyed" a cpu just to gain a few degrees.

peiter: looks great, nice to see Danish ppl around here, keep it up :thumb:

14. arkadur

arkadur What's a Dremel?

very nice work!
    keep it up!

nice design with hidden WC parts..

15. peiter

peiter What's a Dremel?

Yeah removing IHS was somthing i read about when i was tweaking my Opteron 170 ( witch i will base my next projekt on and are actually starting up these days )

So 1 night in a fit of boredom i figured "why the hell not remove the IHS on my q6600 and gain a degree or 2 lower temperatures"
    The job of moving it was quite easy ( following the guides for IHS removal on opterons ) so after it was done i lapped my q6000 cores down to 0.12 micron (average surface ruffness witch i mesuered at work )

0.12 micron isent really the specs for a new mirror for the hubble space telescope,but put on paper it look pretty damm nice ( 0.00012 mm ) and remember its a avarage mesurment mesuered over 8 mm on 1 of the cores.

The flatness on the 2 dies i got down to 0.008 mm and mesuered between the 2 i had a max deviation from perfect flatness of 0.012 mm ( dunno why it ended up like that but i cant argue with the zeiss mesuring equipment at work )

But all that hard work was for nothing,cuz when i assembled the projekt again the bios could not see the cpu :waah:

Allso removing IHS made the cpu sit a whole lot deeper in the socket,so the socket are modified too and i allso had to mill 0.5 mm off the fusion 2.0 block around the edge of the cupper part so the 2 parts could come together for a perfect fit.

I cant really recomend ppl to remove ther IHS,but lapping it have never harmed anyone,and a degree lower temps here and there all add up when you are overclocking :thumb:

And yes you can mess up the wirering on the ccfl`s ( on the high voltage side of the inverter ) that suprised me too since i assumed its AC and therefore should not matter,but it do matter and putting the 2 wires back wrong will result in less light emitted by that ccfl.

16. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Very tidy modding! The watercooling is slick :p

17. peiter

peiter What's a Dremel?

a fjew more pics

I know this isent really the worlds longest worklog,but as you can see from the pics its pretty simple and without innovative new moves ( tho every modder like those )
    I do have a tonne of more pics but they are really just pics of the same maybe from a slightly other angle,and tho i was several months in making this case any one with the materials in house could copy this in a couple of weekends providing the person know a little about working in metal.

The only "special" thing i have done ( beside removing my IHS and destroying a cpu ) is that i have disabled the 2 blue LED sitting on the asus soundcard,but i simply cant allow the soundcard "polluting" my black & red case with blue light.

No need to mention the mandatory sleeving and extending/shortening of wires ;) all modders know about that i assume.

But since this is my everyday computer the build have been mostly function over form,and then offcourse making it pretty enuff so i can have it sitting on my computer table.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Very nice mod, excellent work.

19. Colossous

Colossous Minimodder

Looking good duder :thumb:

20. PTModder

PTModder What's a Dremel?

I got to say this....
    Im really not the guys that posts a lot in the forums but i really like this build because it is well executed and at the same time is simple and beautiful.
    Also i like the way you combined the only two predominant colors (black and red).
    Very nice build indeed.
    Congratulations on an excellent work!