bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 23rd Dec 2008, 14:10   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Janus team launches "Privacy Adaptor"

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/12...vacy-adaptor/1

The Janus team - creators of the pro-privacy JanusVM - has announced a hardware based 'privacy adaptor' that routes all traffic across a VPN or the TOR network.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 15:19   #2
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Clever, but kind of pointless. As far as I can see, the only people who need to encrypt their traffic are either (a) doing something illegal, in which case we really shouldn't be encouraging the use of devices that make it easier (and in any case my understanding is that TOR is so slow you wouldn't want to use it for e.g. file sharing), or (b) working in an environment (e.g. secret service, military, etc.) which will already have strong encryption protocols in place. Anyway, can't you just use a software proxy to route traffic over TOR?
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 16:01   #3
airchie
Mod Master

airchie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
There's a third type of person you didn't list.
They type of person who objects to ISP sniffing their traffic for monetary gain without explicit permission ala Phorm et al.
This would defeat that.

I think its a great idea tbh.
Those people doing illegal things will do it anyway and usually be paranoid enough to cover their tracks anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralwandrer
Being a legitimate customer of the games industry is increasingly like being in a relationship with an abusive spouse.
airchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 16:53   #4
Skepsis
What's a Dremel?

Skepsis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quick, to the pedo cave!
Skepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 17:43   #5
n3mo
Multimodder

n3mo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well, here in Eastern Europe there is no net monitoring at all (our law prohibits such actions) so it's not our problem. When i look at what is happening in UK it seems ridiculous for me.
n3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 18:31   #6
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
pedobear approves this device...
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 18:39   #7
<Blake>
What's a Dremel?

<Blake> has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
the fourth type of person is someone who dosn't like governments filtering their internet, such as Saudi Arabia, china, and soon to be Australia (where you can get a free internet filter that is opt-in, and only 2% of the pop got it... so the government thinks everyone wants it).
<Blake> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 20:34   #8
Zut
Multimodder

Zut has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why does anyone expect their surfing habits to be private?? Would you avoid shopping on the highstreet or going to the library unless you were somehow invisible?

I dont understand this whole kneejerk privacy thing at all.
Zut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 21:57   #9
n3mo
Multimodder

n3mo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@Zut
Maybe do some reading. Would you like to go shopping on the highstreet with someone following you and writing down everything you bought/showed interest in and than send you a ton of ads about similar things? Thats exactly what companies like Phorm are doing. And it's not just ads - some companies use this data to change the price accordingly - when they know that you are buying lots of the same stuff (take expensive coffee for example) they can give you a "special" price - and it's not "bad sci-fi", one of the online PC shops did this to me - one day I noticed that the prices of some stuff I bought lots of are a little higher when I log in than than when not logged in.

And the other thing - would you like it if some day your job application would get thrown away because your potential boss got a report from a tracking company saying that you have an interest in young redheads? Or because of something you said on a political forum a few years ago?

Would you like someone to watch what movies you like, what books you read (if any), what kind of girls you like, what are the names of your family members, what you buy, what is your financial status, credit rating and so on? Bet you wouldn't like that one bit, but guess what, that's exactly the data marketing companies gather online.

Last edited by n3mo; 23rd Dec 2008 at 22:09.
n3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2008, 06:35   #10
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
We should all have some sense of privacy. Its bullshit that we keep getting our rights taken away. Besides, no one has the resources to track all online traffic. If you do dumb sh*t, you should be watched, else leave the rest of us average users alone.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Antec 850W TruePower Quattro - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Dec 2008, 16:21   #11
Huxen5
Minimodder

Huxen5 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well put, n3mo! The government wants it because, after all, knowledge is power and if its recorded by someone the government can essentially force them to hand the information over citing anti-terrorism crap.

*smash* "AAAGH!" *crash* *bang*.... "HELP...", *mumbled words and crying*

...Uhh...I formally retract my statement...I was confused about the topic and introduced a false conversational element, which...uhh...i firmly..uhh...disagree with.Completely...because everything is totally great...*gulp*

Hello Echelon! How's the coffee?
Huxen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 18:05   #12
Blarte
Moderate Modder

Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
if governmental types wish to know my pron browsing habits they only need ask I am happy to recommend my favourite sites ....