bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 6th Jan 2009, 09:01   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Twitter users attacked by phishers

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2009/01...-by-phishers/1

Twitter users have been subjected to attack from a phishing gang operating out of China looking to harvest usernames and passwords, according to reports.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2009, 09:04   #2
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I hate twitter so, so much.

I hope it craps itself.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2009, 09:23   #3
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh, such MASSIVE news, it's almost though they're being targeted.

Oh wait, EVERYONE gets phishing attacks. Why is this one so important

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2009, 09:24   #4
StephenK
Sneak 'em Upper

StephenK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
No messages received here. Looks like the podcasting tweets just weren't loved enough to be messaged ;p
Intel e6600 - 4gb Corsair Twin2X 6400C4 DDR2 - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro + Silver 5 - Gainward GTX260 Golden Sample 896MB - Dell U2410 + iiyama E2200WS - Black Coolermaster ATCS 840 - Corsair HX620 - Asus P5B Deluxe - 1tb F3 - 1tb F1 - 320gb T166 - X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Creative Inspire T6100 - Razer Lycosa and Razer Mamba
StephenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2009, 09:36   #5
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEdey View Post
Oh, such MASSIVE news, it's almost though they're being targeted.
Oh wait, EVERYONE gets phishing attacks. Why is this one so important
Perhaps because this is the first known attack to attempt to steal Twitter login credentials? The first attack to use Twitter as its vector? Sure, e-mail phishing is nothing new - but this is.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2009, 09:40   #6
StephenK
Sneak 'em Upper

StephenK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Also, perhaps userbase size is a factor? When a very popular services gets targeted of course it's going to be reported on. Everyone get's phished but whilst you may not hear about a small service, you'll hear about a new attack on gmail or WoW.
Intel e6600 - 4gb Corsair Twin2X 6400C4 DDR2 - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro + Silver 5 - Gainward GTX260 Golden Sample 896MB - Dell U2410 + iiyama E2200WS - Black Coolermaster ATCS 840 - Corsair HX620 - Asus P5B Deluxe - 1tb F3 - 1tb F1 - 320gb T166 - X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Creative Inspire T6100 - Razer Lycosa and Razer Mamba
StephenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2009, 09:45   #7
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
People do it all the time with Facebook, faked login pages and the like, it really just seems to be news because it's a different site being attacked.

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2009, 11:50   #8
quack
\o/

quack has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Some big names have fallen victim to this phishing attempt. Britney Spears, CNN, Fox News...
Old 6th Jan 2009, 11:53   #9
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
My God! If serious intellects like those are fooled, what hope is there for mere mortals like us?
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2009, 11:59   #10
quack
\o/

quack has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Barack Obama and Facebook also had accounts hacked.

Apparently these were not the work of the publicised phishing attempt, but a hacker.
Old 6th Jan 2009, 16:34   #11
MrMonroe
Multimodder

MrMonroe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Obama's seems to be the only hack that might have wound up a net gain for whoever did this. The rest of the uses of the hacked accounts seem pretty juvenile. Rick Sanchez's account spewing out "I am high on crack right now might not be coming in to work today" doesn't seem like a particularly profitable use of a twitter account.
MrMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2009, 20:16   #12
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
* Runs off to find out what Twitter is"
badders is offline   Reply With Quote