1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Hiper Type R II 680W PSU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Jan 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I've got the older Type R (in red) seems fairly similar (apart from the USb hub and seperated cables). found the box to be imensly useful in keeping cables (like my USB MIDI cable) and the like safely out of the way but still handy for when I want them.

3. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

LOL you even get a lunch box with it. :D nice

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Aye, I've got one of the older Type R's... I had two, but one just died quietly in the night about four months back while the system wasn't even on. Which was irritating. I liked the modular design of the old models, although fitting it in a P180 with the PSU/HDD middle fan in there too was something of a feat.

5. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

Great selling point :thumb:

6. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

I was looking at getting one of these last March. How come it has taken so long to review? Or am I thinking of a different model? (I do remember the USB hub and lunchbox tho).

Andy

7. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

I had two of the old type r's both died in under 4 months of fairly light use, best thing about it is the lunchbox, really useful at storing spare cables and bits

8. Teq

Teq What's a Dremel?

Everyone I know who owned the first generation Type R had it fail in pretty dramatic fashion, I personally wouldn't touch them again - but the box was a nice touch

9. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa What's a Dremel?

My old TYPE-R died rather quickly, I wont be going anywhere near them again.

10. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Interesting, I bought one when they were brand new out and am still running it now. It's the only thing that has survived the multiple system upgrades that I've done. Two of my friends bought one each and are still using them over 18 months down the line. I did see some failure reports but thought it was just a bad production batch or something.

I definitely agree that the tool box is handy though. Mine holds all my tools, screws, cables, soldering kit and external HDD so it's great for repair jobs.

11. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Interesting to hear the old ones die - my Type M (interestingly non modular) has been going fine for two years now.

12. Teq

Teq What's a Dremel?

I believe the non-modular Type R's were a lot better (I was referring to the Modular units, I should have mentioned that ;) ), the surprising thing is one of my friends was running one in a low spec power mac (with a few mods to allow a standard PSU to fit) and that died a couple of months after mine

13. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

It's one of the modular ones that I'm still running. It was a swine to find out was which connectors fed which 12 V rail as there was no info at all regarding this in the box and sweet FA on Hiper's site. As far as I could work out (Hiper couldn't give me a definite answer but sent me the schematics) the PCI Express and P4 connector are on one rail and everything else is on the other one. This may be the reason a lot of them died - simply because the layout isn't logical and they were overloaded. The power doesn't add up on the Type R 580 either - 37A across two 12 V rails is 444 W. I can't quite see 136 W going through the -12 V, 5 V and 3.3 V rails.

Is there any info on this one to help balance loading or is it the same as before - plug and pray?

14. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

My original Type-R 480w is 4 years old and still going strong :)

15. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Not really true, the first generation of hyper type r psu's had the entire case as a grill as well and those had no usb ports or anything else blocking airflow at the back, so it has nothing to do with how the back panel is.

Good to see Hyper switched to a better oem, even if it's not Seasonic, CWT is far better choice than Andyson who made the first Type R's. (andyson was also the oem behind the infamous blow up psu's from ultra).

16. bridgesentry

bridgesentry 3verything must bee wat3rcooled

It s shining like in MS HDR effect IMO, need some red LED to make blood effect

17. -Blue-

-Blue- What's a Dremel?

i had the old modular type-r and from what i know it's still running strong in my cousins PC.. the fan did start to make a bit of noise, but all it needed was a good clean and is back to being silent.. only reason i changed it was because i needed more juice.. the fact that hiper is not sticking to their modular cables for me sucks.. i don't like having more cables than i need in the case.. and the storage box rocks.. i have it full of stuff, cables, parts, screws..